PDA

View Full Version : An Atheist stands up for his Children

spiritbear99
March 24th, 2007, 08:48 PM
This video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxxPcprniiI&mode=related&search) gave me a lot more insight to how hard it must be to be an atheist. They face the same hardships that a lot of us do b/c of our beliefs. In fact, I'm sure a lot of us went through a similar process when we told certain people about our beliefs. He raises a lot of interesting points and I can strongly identify with them.

Here is another video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdVucvo-kDU) on the Atheist "fools" who influenced America ^^ Very interesting. But... American wasn't founded by Xians, it was founded by Deists, wasn't it?

-- Gally

kheretsenu
March 25th, 2007, 01:00 PM
It really is sad - Atheists are said to be the most hated group in America. I think it has something to do with people not believing there could be morality outside of religion; apparently the fear of hell is the only thing keeping most people from going on the rampage.

I spent three (wow, was it that long?) years as an atheist/agnostic. I mean, obviously I wasn't as hardcore an atheist as I thought, but I had plenty of people who just couldn't understand how I could live in a world without "hope." (Of heaven, apparently.) But even as a Kemetic, it's not the hope of the afterlife that keeps me going, in life or in faith, from day to day. It's what I have to do in this world.

Anyway, I have a lot of sympathy for atheists. My significant other as well as my best friend are atheists. But oddly, they don't get asked religious questions as much as I do. Maybe it's because they're male? For my boyfriend at least it might be because he looks and acts relatively normal - which probably makes people assume he's Christian. I guess I just have "weird" stamped on my forehead. Ah well.

Shanti
March 25th, 2007, 01:07 PM
I'm an atheist and the only prob I have is the lumping together of beliefs I don't share with the stereotyping that goes on.

I guess people cant except that an atheist can believe that there are no gods in his/her reality but be perfectly accepting that others may very well have gods in their realities.
Guess some people just believe we are all on the same thread of the same fabric, I do not.

Do I believe in a god? Nope, not for me, but I will not speak, nor judge, nor place doubt, on another's potential connections.

I just wish the stereotyping would not be so prevalent.

Glory
March 25th, 2007, 05:16 PM
I'm pretty agnostic, but a lot of my beliefs and attitudes resonate with that of an atheist as I was one for a long time. And in a particularly dark moment I was talking to a Christian friend and I asked her if she could imagine living while not believing in any kind of being that looks out for us, no hope after death, everything chaotic, random and without meaning, and she said she could never imagine going through life like that.

So I think there is a huge lack of understanding of atheists, mainly because... living as an atheist goes against what, for example, Christianity and many other religions are all about. It's impossible that a person can be content, sane, and moralistic without having some inch of devotion to God. It's like witchcraft not fitting into many a Christian's view of the world, because if they want to have their religion be credible, they can't fit it in. And that's the crux of it.

Willow Rosette
March 25th, 2007, 05:43 PM
Wow I have never thought about it before. I dnt personally know any atheists and the one that popped into my mind was the one who was on the news that was fighting to keep his daughter from doign something even though she wasnt an atheist and he didnt have custody.

I wonder if I wasnt biased based on that man on the news. I appoloigise for any lack of understanding I have ever expressed in the past. _inabox_

spiritbear99
March 25th, 2007, 07:10 PM
it's not the hope of the afterlife that keeps me going, in life or in faith, from day to day. It's what I have to do in this world.

This is exactly how I think people should live.

I agree with all of you. Despite how everyone in the world knows to some extent that understanding another person will help weed out fear and plant peace, stereotyping is still everywhere. And most people will not take the time to actually look into why that stereotype is there and learn the truth behind the mask. Everything from race to creed has a stereotype.

But for me, seeing these videos made me realize that Atheists are in the same vein as a lot of us; we all experience discrimination, fear, and even hate. And it takes a strong person to be an Atheist; if I knew that there wasn't anything divine out there, I don't know what I'd do! But I believe there is something Divine pervading everything, and if Atheists don't I'm perfectly okay with that. There is nothing wrong with that belief. Morality can, and often does, exist outside of religion...

... and no religion can have a monopoly on what is good.

-- Gally

spiritbear99
March 25th, 2007, 07:13 PM
But even as a Kemetic

Can you tell me more about this? ^^ I don't think I've ever heard of it! Thanks!

-- Gally

Shanti
March 25th, 2007, 07:35 PM
JFI, atheism is the belief that there are no gods/god/godesses AKA a higher power, divine something, etc.

An atheist can believe in spirit, soul and all sorts of metaphysical philosophies, life after death, reincarnation, no reincarnation but immortality in spirit form, and on and on, they just don't believe in a supreme anything running the whole show. :)

omar
March 30th, 2007, 07:18 PM
It really is sad - Atheists are said to be the most hated group in America. I think it has something to do with people not believing there could be morality outside of religion; apparently the fear of hell is the only thing keeping most people from going on the rampage.

I spent three (wow, was it that long?) years as an atheist/agnostic. I mean, obviously I wasn't as hardcore an atheist as I thought, but I had plenty of people who just couldn't understand how I could live in a world without "hope." (Of heaven, apparently.) But even as a Kemetic, it's not the hope of the afterlife that keeps me going, in life or in faith, from day to day. It's what I have to do in this world.

Anyway, I have a lot of sympathy for atheists. My significant other as well as my best friend are atheists. But oddly, they don't get asked religious questions as much as I do. Maybe it's because they're male? For my boyfriend at least it might be because he looks and acts relatively normal - which probably makes people assume he's Christian. I guess I just have "weird" stamped on my forehead. Ah well.

Atheist/agnostic? The Gnoostics of Egypt in 600 BC were Pantheists that beleived in ONE GOD the creator. They were not atheists.

LadyCelt
March 30th, 2007, 09:47 PM
I find persecution most from atheists for my faith and faith in general; also including hearing God and Jesus being sworn with :( I get lots of being told God doesn't/can't exist etc. For me, I have the hardest time understanding atheism (though I was atheist/agnostic in between for most of my life.) Yet, I still don't yell at people or lecture them for what they believe either.

kheretsenu
March 31st, 2007, 11:53 AM
Atheist/agnostic? The Gnoostics of Egypt in 600 BC were Pantheists that beleived in ONE GOD the creator. They were not atheists.

But I said "agnostic," which means "not gnostic," just like "atheist" means "not theist."

I was using agnostic in the sense of "one who does not know if there is a god (and may not particularly care).

equinox2
April 2nd, 2007, 12:06 PM
kheretseru wrote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by omar

But I said "agnostic," which means "not gnostic," just like "atheist" means "not theist."

I was using agnostic in the sense of "one who does not know if there is a god (and may not particularly care).

Plus, I wouldn’t call them (Gnostics) Pantheists. We Pantheists don’t believe in anything outside the physical Universe, and we consider the whole Universe divine. Gnostics disagree on both counts – they *do* believe in something outside the physical Universe (specifically, they believe in the divine realm, they called it the Pleroma), and they *don’t* consider the physical Universe divine (it is the corrupt creation of a defective and cruel creator god). These two beliefs hold both for the more ancient Gnostics you refer to, as well as to the important and major branch of Christian Gnostics prevalent in the time of the writing of the books that eventually ended up in the “new” testament.

Have a fun day-

LostSheep
April 2nd, 2007, 03:38 PM
It really is sad - Atheists are said to be the most hated group in America. I think it has something to do with people not believing there could be morality outside of religion; .
It could be partly because some ~ a small, vocal fringe, just like the small, vocal fringes of Christianity or Islam ~ like Richard Dawkins, or that Brett Keane fella who was everywhere a little while back, come across as being as fundamentalist and eager to convert everyone else to their way of thinking as the noisest Christian fundamentalists.

Birdy
April 3rd, 2007, 02:59 AM
We Pantheists don’t believe in anything outside the physical Universe, and we consider the whole Universe divine.
Have a fun day-

Actually this is a type of pantheism, there are many types. Pantheism is a broad label, some believe that the physical universe is an illusory manifestation of The Unity or Brahman.

demonique
April 4th, 2007, 09:04 AM
Unfortunately for atheists, just like every other group in the world, there's a vocal minority that's a real pain in the rear end. Just like evangelical christians who go out of their way to berate people for their choices and beliefs and try to convert everyone, some of these atheists are rather evangelical, themselves, in berating anyone who has any notion of a higher power, belief in the soul, or even an imagination, and trying to convert everyone around them into their hateful version of atheism.

I've met a TON of these folks on the internet, and they're as annoying as any other extremist - they're exactly what the christian majority fears - rude, hateful, spiteful, anti-god, and demeaning.

This certainly doesn't help their reputation.

I've met a lot of temporary atheists in my life - the sort who, in their teenage and college years, really /are/ just "rebelling against god" and rail against Christianity and God and how stupid people are for believing "that crap" never once realizing that they're just being jerkoffs spouting the same hatred as the ones they hate, and that there are indeed more religions out there than Christianity.

Drives. Me. Crazy. I get more worked up about it than I do most fundie Christians, because at least they have some sort of background to frame their insistence that we convert or we're all going to hell crap on. I mean, they really believe that, and to them, they're /saving/ people. It irritates me, but not as much as these evangelical atheists determined to rid the world of religion.

I really wish we had more tolerance all around.

Philosophia
April 4th, 2007, 09:07 AM
It could be partly because some ~ a small, vocal fringe, just like the small, vocal fringes of Christianity or Islam ~ like Richard Dawkins, or that Brett Keane fella who was everywhere a little while back, come across as being as fundamentalist and eager to convert everyone else to their way of thinking as the noisest Christian fundamentalists.

It is Brett Keane who made that video. I can't stand that guy.

Birdy
April 5th, 2007, 09:52 PM
Atheists are hated because they don't believe in what the majority of Americans revolve their emotional and spiritual lives around.

If Jesus is the way to happiness and health and morality and everything good, and everything else is wickedness, then normal healthy moral atheist families are far far more threatening to them than obnoxious atheists. They love obnoxious atheists.

It's regular, everyday hard working normal people who happen to not be theists that are persecuted in America for just that reason.

aluokaloo
April 5th, 2007, 09:55 PM
I didn't realize that atehiests had so much trouble with things, i thought when it came to religions or lack therof, that Satanists still got the worst of it.

aluokaloo
April 5th, 2007, 10:01 PM
Unfortunately for atheists, just like every other group in the world, there's a vocal minority that's a real pain in the rear end. Just like evangelical christians who go out of their way to berate people for their choices and beliefs and try to convert everyone, some of these atheists are rather evangelical, themselves, in berating anyone who has any notion of a higher power, belief in the soul, or even an imagination, and trying to convert everyone around them into their hateful version of atheism.

I've met a TON of these folks on the internet, and they're as annoying as any other extremist - they're exactly what the christian majority fears - rude, hateful, spiteful, anti-god, and demeaning.

I've met a lot of temporary atheists in my life - the sort who, in their teenage and college years, really /are/ just "rebelling against god" and rail against Christianity and God and how stupid people are for believing "that crap" never once realizing that they're just being jerkoffs spouting the same hatred as the ones they hate, and that there are indeed more religions out there than Christianity.

Drives. Me. Crazy. I get more worked up about it than I do most fundie Christians, because at least they have some sort of background to frame their insistence that we convert or we're all going to hell crap on. I mean, they really believe that, and to them, they're /saving/ people. It irritates me, but not as much as these evangelical atheists determined to rid the world of religion.

that is very true

Birdy
April 5th, 2007, 11:24 PM
that is very true

Actually it isn't. Atheists have been the most hated group in America since long before atheism was a trendy way to rebel.

Atheists are mainly persecuted by the (conservative) Christian majority who have been taught to believe that they are wicked, incapable of morality and that "secularists" are somehow responsible for all the worlds ills.

Philosophia
April 5th, 2007, 11:59 PM

_handclapp

LostSheep
April 9th, 2007, 05:41 AM

Yes, it's the irony that they say thay hate Christian evangelists for forcing their views on people and not being prepared to listen to any other views than theirs ~ and they don't just "believe", oh no, they know, absolutely. Everyone is is just wrong. But they of course, the hardline atheists, they never ~ oh, wait a minute.

Amelserru_halqu
April 15th, 2007, 11:51 PM
Yes, it's the irony that they say thay hate Christian evangelists for forcing their views on people and not being prepared to listen to any other views than theirs ~ and they don't just "believe", oh no, they know, absolutely. Everyone is is just wrong. But they of course, the hardline atheists, they never ~ oh, wait a minute.

Yes, but it's logical hate fueled evangelism.

Lunar_Dragonfly
April 17th, 2007, 01:32 AM
Yeah I know what you mean about "those" kinds of atheists. As someone who's spent a lot of time on scientific forums, I get to deal with those a lot. They go off on Christians for being intolerant and not accepting anything outside their little bubble, and yet they turn around and do the same thing, going so far as accusing someone like me who does believe in a higher power of essentially not possessing a brain. "Pompous a-hole" comes to mind when regarding this particular breed of atheist. I know that not all atheists are like that, just like not all Christians are "like that," but it does paint a rather unpleasant picture to the rest of the world :-/

Also, I'm a little skeptical when I hear that atheists are claiming to be the most "Discriminated against group EVAR." I mean really what group in this country doesn't claim to be discriminated against on some level? Even white Christian men claim it in certain situations.

But no, I don't hate atheists. I think it would be awfully depressing for me, personally, if there were no higher power, but whatever floats your boat. Wait, I take that back. I don't think that a lack of faith in God would depress me quite so much. It would take adjustment, but I would deal. Shanti made an excellent point though, that atheism does not necessarily exclude belief in the existence of a soul, afterlife, etc. It is those things that draw me to religion more than one central powerful godhead. But the atheist evangelists found on my science message boards would scoff just as much at that, sadly :(

*hands cookies to the atheists and the christians and the pagans and asks why we can't all just get along*