View Full Version : Lesson 2

March 29th, 2007, 02:14 PM
Choosing a Kitchen Deity

If you work with the Elements or Elementals these sites may give you some ideas to work with

So where do you begin in choosing the Kitchen Goddess?
Your path and mine will probably differ. So go for one that suits your path. For example you may have a Celtic based path or one that leans towards the Greek or Roman deities. There are plenty to choose from.
The most important thing to remember is the deity will choose you, as you will be drawn to one particular Goddess. She is trying to tell you something so go for her.
For me it was Erce. She is the Saxon Goddess of fertility, peace, spring, blessings, witchcraft, wealth, groves, sea and purification. She is also known as Nerthus a Norse Goddess. She is represented by the horn of plenty and known as the Earth Mother.

There are many deities that you can choose from:

Brigid Irish Goddess of Creativity.

Ceres Roman Corn Goddess

Cerridwen Celtic Mother figure and grain Goddess.

Demeter Greek Goddess of the harvest

Fornax Roman Goddess of Ovens and Bread.

Hestia Greek Goddess of Home and Hearth.

Neith Egyptian Warrior Goddess who is skilled in Domestic Arts.

Rhiannon Welsh Goddess of fertility and enchantments.

Uma Indian Mother Goddess of fertility, harvest and crops.

Vesta Roman Goddess of Domestic Fires.

These are just a sample of the Goddess's that you can find connected to the home and earth.
She will watch over what you do and will help you focus on things that you make for the family and friends.

Here are some sites for you to explore

For those who work with Faeries

Restless Willow
March 29th, 2007, 03:53 PM
Copied and read..love the faerie site, lots of cool info .

March 30th, 2007, 11:51 AM
I work within the Celtic Pantheon already, namely Welsh, so Rhiannon will be perfect. Although I do also feel a strong connection to Brigid. Cerridwen is the mother aspect in my mother, maiden, crone trinity. In which Arianrhod and Bloduewedd complete it.

Willow Rosette
March 30th, 2007, 11:16 PM
In Toria's circle round CD there is a song that both of us love to pieces. It is a song to the Goddess Brigid. Recently this has become one of our favorite songs and felt kinda drawn to her. I felt that was kinda odd considering we are well established with the ones we have. As soon as I started reading your thread I knew Brigid was going to be finding a home with us at last.

March 30th, 2007, 11:19 PM
I keep finding myself drawn again and again to the Greek pantheon and mythology, and in this case, Hestia. I will do a little research and come back with my findings.

But to open myself to all possibilities, does anyone know of any Greek myths that have creatures/characters/gods that surround the idea of hearth and harvest? Obviously I'll look into it myself too.

April 1st, 2007, 04:13 AM
Hi Glory
I seem to recall the Greek Myths being about creation, the adventures of Heroes and the Gods.
Have a look here though you may find some useful bits.

April 1st, 2007, 04:53 AM
Thanks! I'll check 'em out.

April 11th, 2007, 12:07 PM
I have never been able to choose a panthenon for some odd reason... I guess I am too inspired by the wide varieties of personas and have been able to draw inspiration from so many deities. Thank you for the links, especially the Fae page... I am just recently learning more about Faery Magick and it seems that the concept of the home and the Fae go hand in hand in some regards that I was unaware of before.

April 12th, 2007, 04:02 AM
Hi Piratess I am pleased you have found the links useful go with what feels right for you.

April 17th, 2007, 10:13 AM
edit b/c wrong thread.

April 17th, 2007, 12:51 PM
i am torn between two very (seemingly) different goddesses.
bloduewedd and hestia.
i woke up with the name bloduewedd ringing in my head this morning. and ive always been attracted to the greek and roman pantheons. im going to spend a bit of time working on this one.
there isnt much info (that i have found) about bloduewedd. hestia seems to be a bit better known.

elizabeth ratliff
April 17th, 2007, 11:11 PM
I have found my Lady Rhiannon is the Goddess for me, she does talk to me and guides me.. I work with a lot of herbs and wanting to learn so much more about them.

April 18th, 2007, 09:19 AM
Hi Maudlin I found these sites that be of some help.

April 18th, 2007, 09:21 AM
Hi Elizabeth Ratliff
I always think it is best to go with the deity that you are drawn to and feel a connection to.

April 21st, 2007, 05:42 PM
i think blodeuwedd is the one im going to work with.
she seems to be the one i keep feeling a pull towards.

those sites are awesome. thank you.

April 22nd, 2007, 04:09 AM
You are welcome Maudlin.

May 3rd, 2007, 05:04 AM
I have been recently very drawn to Bast. I never feel much of a connection to Goddesses but I had a feeling and I kept learning, wondering, thinking about her everyday and only in a few days time... very quick for me.

There is another who seems really appropriate, I had a strong connection with her about a year ago(my first connection with a deity), but had a hard time finding much information and now I'm not even sure of her name, or if I'm finding anything on her at all, I wanted to look at them both and others before deciding on one. I think she might be the goddess known as Wadjet. A goddess who was not Egyptian but was very important to Egypt and is thought of as an Egyptian Goddess. This is information that I am remembering from the last time I researched her, as a way to identify her from others, since I don't remember her name.

May 4th, 2007, 03:22 AM
HJi Mera-Mera
You may find these links helpful Wadjet is the Goddess associated with heat and fire and the protector of Ra.
This one is interesting
So is this one

May 4th, 2007, 06:40 AM
Wow! Thanks for those links Wulfcwen, I especially loved the one of the Temple of Wadjet, I am bookmarking that page.

May 5th, 2007, 04:11 AM
Your welcome Mera-Mera I am pleased they were useful.