PDA

View Full Version : puppy help!!

DreamSpell333
April 10th, 2007, 11:52 PM
Our puppy is almost 4 months old,and has been a terror the past week or so. I just got back from New Hampshire, so I havent been home but my husband told me that he's taken her out, fed her. She has been chewing on anything she can get a hold of and isnt going on her puppy pads when she's indoors.
He's reprimanned her/told her NO, when he catches her.

We just need some help on breaking her out of this distructive phase.

person of shadow
April 11th, 2007, 12:27 AM
She could be teething a little. Puppies love to chew stuff up!

Willow Rosette
April 11th, 2007, 12:44 AM
teething came to mind for me as well. Think of her as a child. She doesnt know any better. So instead of scolding her show her what you want her to do.

TuathaSidhe
April 11th, 2007, 12:45 AM
Crate, crate crate crate, and take away the puppy pads. Put her on a long/ish lead and tie it to your belt, keep her with you at ALL times. Start taking her outside very often and teaching her to go outside.

What I dont like about puppy pads is that you teach them to go on that, then you have to teach them to go outside later one. I personally, am not a fan of teaching a dog to go in the house, cause it can cause problems later one, say, if you go to someone elses house and then the dog thinks its OK to go in their house when...really its not.

Start crate training. You can find some very good information on it online, but since she is young, don't keep her in there for more than a few hours, and take her directly outside whenever you let her out so she can go to the bathroom.

If she isnt with you on the leash, then she needs to be in the crate or supervised VERY well. You may also have to get up once, maybe twice (depending on her size) to let her out, until she is older and can hold it all night.

Get lots of chew toys, when she chews on something she shouldnt, tell the dog NO and give it a toy to chew and praise. Kongs work really well, keeps them entertained for ours and you can fill it with treats.

Get on a feeding schedule and stick to it down to the T if you can, at least until the dog is older and more controlled, that way you can kinda pin point things and when/how long it takes before the dog needs to go poop.

Also, never use the crate as punishment, you want to make that their 'den'

Be consistant. You cant find the puppy in a room, chewing something it shouldnt, tell it no and shoo it away, and then walk away yourself, the puppy will go back to what it was doing, which is the reason for the pup being tired to you.

Go through your house, make sure its puppy proof. Much like you would baby proof.

You can also get baby gates and put up through the house, and only give the dog so much of the house to run around in. That way you always know where the dog is if you decide to let it run around off leash.

Look into OB classes. They are priceless and people can learn so much in them. It doesnt just teach you how to teach your dog, but provides experiences for the dog and you that you wouldnt be able to do on your own.

Remember its a puppy, still a baby and you have to be consistant and paitence.

good luck!

Shanti
April 11th, 2007, 10:36 AM
LadyCanine said all I would of!!

Yup, Crate, crate, crate!!:thumbsup:
So many bad pup habits can be avoided with simple crate training.

My 6 weeks old pup is never out of my sight so I can catch every mistake as it happens and prevent most mistakes from happening.
Right now I skip all but the most needed shopping. My SO is doing most of it so I can stay in the van or home with the pup. If I have to into a store, I leave the pup at home in a crate. I take her with us as much as I can because we have to have her social and she has to be trained for travel so she doesn't get car sick or become a car pooper.

At 6 weeks and here for only 5 days Inu knows to stay by me and not go running off. She already knows several commands and because of crating her and feeding her on schedule, she holds her bathroom business all night long.
At 4:00 AM, that's when we get up, she is out the door immediately before I do absolutely anything.
She has her own chew toys and knows them.
The kids are not allowed to go getting her all hyper and goofy.
I never had a prob training and raising a pup because I use a crate and never leave them loose in the house out of my sight. Whatever room I am in, the pup is to. If the pup errors, its corrected not punished. They want to please but don't know whats good and whats not till they try different things.
If a pup doesn't listen to correction, crate time out! Its not to punish but to calm as pups get hyper, determined and sassy just like kids do occasionally need time in their room to refocus.

DreamSpell333
April 11th, 2007, 08:54 PM
LadyCanine said all I would of!!

Yup, Crate, crate, crate!!:thumbsup:
So many bad pup habits can be avoided with simple crate training.

My 6 weeks old pup is never out of my sight so I can catch every mistake as it happens and prevent most mistakes from happening.
Right now I skip all but the most needed shopping. My SO is doing most of it so I can stay in the van or home with the pup. If I have to into a store, I leave the pup at home in a crate. I take her with us as much as I can because we have to have her social and she has to be trained for travel so she doesn't get car sick or become a car pooper.

At 6 weeks and here for only 5 days Inu knows to stay by me and not go running off. She already knows several commands and because of crating her and feeding her on schedule, she holds her bathroom business all night long.
At 4:00 AM, that's when we get up, she is out the door immediately before I do absolutely anything.
She has her own chew toys and knows them.
The kids are not allowed to go getting her all hyper and goofy.
I never had a prob training and raising a pup because I use a crate and never leave them loose in the house out of my sight. Whatever room I am in, the pup is to. If the pup errors, its corrected not punished. They want to please but don't know whats good and whats not till they try different things.
If a pup doesn't listen to correction, crate time out! Its not to punish but to calm as pups get hyper, determined and sassy just like kids do occasionally need time in their room to refocus.

Thanks i'll work on getting her on a schedule. My husband and I have to share training her. It's been difficult for me today because the babies been sick. He has the stomach bug. He's only 11 weeks. I'e put her outside 3 times today. I hope the baby will get better soon,so I can manage both of them. I'm soo tired !

PandoraHealer
April 11th, 2007, 09:18 PM
We were VERY against crates when we first got our dogs. One was older- and "pre trained". the other was young and had ZERO manners. We got a crate for the younger one and they work wonders. She was crate trained in about 2 weeks. and stayed that way for almost 8 months (which made her a little over a year old when we moved)The only problem was- when we needed to move, there was NO place to put this crate- it was used as our coffee table for a while and that just ended up being totally assinine. (sp?) so we decided to try her with out the crate. We threw it on the balcony and got her a 'dog bed' and put the dog bed next to our bed. She did WONDERFUL!!! I have large dogs. which is why we didn't have room for the crate when we moved. (german shepherds). I also didn't like the "look" of the crate- it was big, blue and butt- ugly. They make those fancy covers for them now but... blah....
she's now around 3 yrs old and we've never had a problem with her.

Lady canine said it beautifully. thats my 2 cents on crates though.
BB-PH

OH!!! and TOYS TOYS TOYS TOYS!!! we got our shepherd a lot of those Kong toys- they're virtually indestructable and last forever- worth the money. and they come in lots of sizes and some you can hide treats in. We also got her one of those squealing monkey things. I'm sure you've seen them. We got her a few other 'stuffed' toys and she destroyed them immediatly- but she tore those up- NOT my couch. We just lost the monkey toy. We'll be buying her a new one. He was missing an arm, that i sewed on more than twice and had a hole between its legs (that was when we decided the monkey was female) and it got ripped in more than 1/2 the other day- in a tug-o-war.... very sad= theres fluff all over my yard and it just rained... so TOYS TOYS TOYS!!!

Old Witch
April 11th, 2007, 11:40 PM
I agree, all of the above. Most of all, remember it's just a baby.

TuathaSidhe
April 12th, 2007, 12:14 AM
While I am very pro-crate, at the same time. I dont think you have to use them forever and alot depends on the dog, situation, etc etc etc.

But like Pandora did works to. Crates are just another tool in the box of dog training and after a dog gets older, on a schedule, knows to hold it/can hold it all night, they arent as 'needed'

Its up to you and the situation to decide all that though. I HAVE to crate all mine whenever we leave cause..well, they get naughty.

My oldest GSD is usually the one to do stuff, and my other GSD and our mix just follow, lol. Nothing like seeing two GSDs counter surfing and a lil mutt bunny hopping to try and do the same. rofl.

That and I dont think I could get away with me taking them away, my dogs sleep in them w/ doors open and love their crates. <shrugs>

Do whatever works..but personally, I would strongly advice to use it alteast until the pupper is housebroken and whatnot. It makes things so much easier. (well, for me it did anyways)

Evanescent
April 13th, 2007, 10:19 PM
Pottying three times a day is DEFINATELY not enough for such a little guy (or girl)! My adult dog can't even wait three times a day.

Puppy needs to potty first thing in the morning and last thing at night -- and I mean FIRST and LAST. Before meals and after meals. Before play and after play. Before you leave for work and after you come back for work.

If this dog is still pottying in the house... shame on the owners! :lol: The dog should be tied to you with a six foot leash or in its crate at all times. Period. LadyCanine says it well. :)