PDA

View Full Version : Zeus vs. Jesus

gurlygurl2004
May 1st, 2007, 01:04 PM
Ever since I learned about ancient Greece and their gods (back in 6'th grade history class). I noticed how Zeus, the Greek god of all gods had a similar spelling to Jesus, son of God and messiah to many Christians. Do you think this is a coincidence or is there a connection?

Windsmith
May 1st, 2007, 01:14 PM
Coincidence. What we're reading and hearing is the transliteration of a word from another language. By its very nature, a transliteration is an inexact thing. Besides which, "Jesus" wasn't Jesus's actual name - it was something along the lines of "Yeshua." There's no more connection between "Zeus" and "Jesus" than between "Hera" and "Cher."

Brightshores
May 1st, 2007, 10:03 PM
Windsmith is absolutely correct.

That being said, there are linguistic links between Zeus and Jupiter (Deus Pater, which is "Father-God" in Latin), and the words for "God" in a lot of Indo-European languages, including modern Greek and the Romance languages.

gurlygurl2004
May 2nd, 2007, 10:33 AM
Well even if it is a linguistic issue, do you think the mistake happened for a reason? Like there could be a paranormal or spiritual link between them.

aluokaloo
May 14th, 2007, 06:01 PM
no, not really.

Zibblsnrt
May 14th, 2007, 07:56 PM
Remember, too, that "Jesus" derives from the name "Yehoshua," which sounds rather less like "Zeus."

LordHelmet
May 17th, 2007, 02:30 AM
Zeus does in many ways relate to JHVH, this is even noted in Acts.

This would more link Jesus to Dionysus though, or another Godman (bastard of God/immaculate conception) son of Zeus with a human woman.

If your looking for a metaphysical link, I think you'll find Christ links with most of the savior Gods and particularly any variations from the same era. Probably a large connection with Osiris even if he isn't quite the Godman type.

Bella Canolli
June 2nd, 2007, 07:56 PM
There are plenty of ancient gods that are similair to the story of Jesus, but Zues is not one. The slain god mytho can be seen in most cultures, and more likely Mirthas is the closet pagan diety that could have assimlated.

The archytype of Zues and the archytype of Jesus, have nothing in common.