PDA

View Full Version : where to buy an EMF meter

KylalaKitty
May 9th, 2007, 08:46 PM
:wave: I know where I can buy one online, but where could I go in town to buy an EMF meter reader? Any electronics store? Walmart? Is there any brand thats better than another? What would be best for a beginner? Thanks so much.

Trithemius
May 10th, 2007, 07:24 AM
To answer your question, your best bet would be to purchase online if you feel you absolutely must have one. Wal-Mart doesn't carry them. You could call around to some local electronics and hardware stores, but don't be too optimistic.

The only emf meter worth having for ghost hunting in my opinion (again, if you must have one) is the Trifield Natural. The reason I say this is because this meter will not detect man-made AC current. It will pick up natural emf fields and changes in DC current. It won't pick up DC fields that are not changing. It's also sensitive enough to detect the emf emitted by people and animals. The cheapest I've seen it for is $179.

Now before you go blowing any money on an emf meter (probably the most overrated, misunderstood, and unneeded piece of ghost hunting gear), do you have a video camera and a digital audio recorder?

Nox_Mortus
May 10th, 2007, 05:05 PM
the two people i know that have them built them themselves. Make sure you get a tri-axis one though, the single axis ones are a pain to use.

KylalaKitty
May 10th, 2007, 06:41 PM
Now before you go blowing any money on an emf meter (probably the most overrated, misunderstood, and unneeded piece of ghost hunting gear), do you have a video camera and a digital audio recorder?

I have a digital photo camera that has video as an opinion. In july I should have a video camera. As for the audio recorder, yep.

Trithemius
May 10th, 2007, 07:34 PM
It's good to hear you're getting your evidence collection tools taken care of. That's what's really important. I've seen so many people go out and buy a digital camera, and the very next thing they want is an emf meter, and they don't even know what to do with it or what it's really for. They just know that "ghost hunters use them" so they want one too.

You really don't need the emf meter to get evidence, so what I would do is forget about it for now and put any money you may have saved for one toward the purchase of your video camera. Be sure it's a Sony model, as I believe they're still the only camera manufacturer with true nightvision. Oh, and definitely get a tripod for it if you don't already have one.

Nox_Mortus
May 10th, 2007, 08:34 PM
yeah also, EMF meters are really tricky since anything from appliances to faulty wiring can set them off.

KylalaKitty
May 10th, 2007, 08:49 PM
As I understand it, if an EMF meter picks up something man made, the reading will be at a steady paste and you can follow it to find whats setting the meter off. If its from something paranormal, the reading spikes in unusual places.

Nox_Mortus
May 10th, 2007, 09:00 PM
not always, some appliances will give off really weird readings that change a lot.

Haerfest Leah
May 26th, 2007, 07:15 PM
I'd say I wouldn't buy one, we catch lots with only using our digital camera. We're trying to figure out how we can set it up so the video can run for several hourse in the night to shoot down our hallway. We want to record for EVP's too.

Agaliha
July 14th, 2007, 03:11 AM
I found some:

Amazon.com:
Extech 480823 EMF/ELF Meter (http://www.amazon.com/Extech-480823-EMF-ELF-Meter/dp/B00023RXDC)

And here's a comparison of various EMF readers with price quites and reviews:
http://www.ghostgadgets.com/_knowledge/emfmeters.html

Shanti
July 14th, 2007, 03:15 AM
It's good to hear you're getting your evidence collection tools taken care of. That's what's really important. I've seen so many people go out and buy a digital camera, and the very next thing they want is an emf meter, and they don't even know what to do with it or what it's really for. They just know that "ghost hunters use them" so they want one too.

You really don't need the emf meter to get evidence, so what I would do is forget about it for now and put any money you may have saved for one toward the purchase of your video camera. Be sure it's a Sony model, as I believe they're still the only camera manufacturer with true nightvision. Oh, and definitely get a tripod for it if you don't already have one.Ok, then what?