PDA

View Full Version : Atheists say they've been threatened over their views

SSanf
June 4th, 2007, 06:18 AM
The note on Blair Scott's windshield wasn't a nice one.

The anonymous writer had to have seen Scott's atheist-themed bumper sticker, an uncommon sight in the small south Alabama town where he lived at the time.

"It just amazed me that people would take time out of their day to return to their car, grab a pen and paper and write a 'You're going to hell and you're going to burn in a lake of fire,' and stick it under my windshield," said Scott, a 36-year-old veteran who installs computer systems in prisons.

Outspoken atheists like Scott remain a minority, but there are dozens of atheist chapters sprouting up around the country, and even many in Southern states dominated by conservative Christians.

Many who consider themselves atheists said they're afraid to mention their views on religion or that they don't believe in deities. It's an especially unpopular opinion in the South, they said.

http://atheists.meetup.com/516/messages/boards/view/viewthread?thread=2548411#6477697The article was originally December 30, 2006. I don't think things have changed much.

L_Moonshade
June 4th, 2007, 11:34 AM
It's such a shame that people can't respect each other's rights to believe what they want, and be open about it. Why does seeing someone with a different belief system threaten these people, so much? I just don't get it.

halfwaynowhere
June 4th, 2007, 11:47 AM
its sad how people are brainwashed into thinking that their way is the only way, and everything else is evil. Its not just about religion. its about race, sexual orientation, everything. And these people aren't taught to just accept others, they are taught to be afraid of them, which is where these things stem from. Its sad.

SSanf
June 4th, 2007, 12:05 PM
Why does seeing someone with a different belief system threaten these people, so much? I just don't get it.
Well, I think some are taught that anyone who does not agree with them are somehow in league with the devil. They are threatened by the devil's minions and that is what they think people who don't agree with them are. I guess, it is perfectly reasonable to be afraid if that is what you believe.

When you think about it, that is just plain sad if it weren't so screwed up and hurtful to other people.

LadyCelt
June 4th, 2007, 12:37 PM
It makes me so sad that I see one of the main things driving people away from Christianity as........ the Chrsitians :(

For me, it is not God or Jesus that drives them away. It is this.

darkwalker
June 4th, 2007, 08:23 PM
I dont know much bout christanity but isnt going round telling folk that their going to burn in hell cause they dont believe the same as you some kind of sin.

Even if it aint you'd have tae be one sad person to leave a note.
Mabye a traffic warden?

Shanti
June 5th, 2007, 09:46 PM
I have never gotten any response worse than pity. No bad stuff. Just the, 'such a shame' attitude and the I'll pray for you attitude.
But I don't advertise my beliefs. There is no reason to. It my business.