PDA

View Full Version : Criptids vs. Mythological Creatures?

BenSt
June 5th, 2007, 02:46 AM
Hey alll :D,

Ok so my question for you is: whats the difference in your mind between criptid creatures and mythological creatures? I mean there seems to be some cross over, but if you were to lets say try and discover if Unicorns existed somewhere, would you be a cryptozoologist? Do you believe that some mythical creatures do exist somewhere, like sea monsters like Nessie?

Im sure this question could go eqaully in the Paranormal. As I study more and more mythological spirits and creatures, the more and more I seem to find links with Cryptozoology... so what do you guys think??

Namaste

Tobias

Agaliha
June 15th, 2007, 08:53 AM
Okay, so I'm not an expert on "Cryptids" but I found a definition:

Cryptids are creatures presumed extinct, hypothetical species, or creatures known from anecdotal evidence and/or other evidence insufficient to prove their existence with scientific certainty. (wikipedia)

So in my view, they're different than mythological creatures in that Cryptids could have actually walked on this earth and there might be evidence for them, like some once thought of prehistorical giant fish that is still lurking in some lake somewhere. An example given on the Wiki site is a Woolly Cheetah and stuff like that. They did list mythological creatures, but they were listed as "mythological."
I think evidence for mythological creatures is even less than Cryptids...I mean, no matter how cool it'd be I don't think there was ever a horse with wings (there's just no proof of them, evolution wise and all of that).

That's just my take on it. There is a cross-over between the two though.