PDA

View Full Version : Atheist 10 Commandments

SSanf
June 6th, 2007, 12:24 AM
1. Thou SHALT NOT believe all thee art told.

2. Thou SHALT constantly seek knowledge and truth.

3. Thou SHALT educate thy fellow man in the Laws of Science.

4. Thou SHALT NOT forget the atrocities committed in the name of god.

5. Thou SHALT leave valuable contributions for future generations.

6. Thou SHALT live in peace with thy fellow man.

7. Thou SHALT live this one life thy have to its fullest.

8. Thou SHALT follow a Personal Code of Ethics.

9. Thou SHALT maintain a strict separation between Church and State.

10. Thou SHALT support ye who follow these commandments.

http://www.ethicalatheist.com/docs/ten_commandments.html

Jolixte
June 6th, 2007, 12:26 AM
Why? I don't get this. Why even bother to rip off the 10 commandments? Just believe nothing if you want, but a lot of things Atheists do are just silly, like this.

SSanf
June 6th, 2007, 12:33 AM
Why? I don't get this. Why even bother to rip off the 10 commandments? Just believe nothing if you want, but a lot of things Atheists do are just silly, like this.I don't know. I guess, they are trying to provoke people to think for themselves and get all they can out of the life they are living now.

I think the Atheist perspective is that religion takes away a lot of the enjoyment and a lot of the resources for enjoyment that people could be having in the here and now.

It is an attention getting device.

Jolixte
June 6th, 2007, 12:36 AM
I leave changing minds to evangelists. It's not my mission in life to show anyone the "true way." I've never understood this, no matter who it was coming from, christian, pagan or atheist.

SSanf
June 6th, 2007, 12:37 AM
I leave changing minds to evangelists. It's not my mission in life to show anyone the "true way." I've never understood this, no matter who it was coming from, christian, pagan or atheist.Yeah. Still, I think all the Atheist stuff is interesting. A lot of it really makes you think.

Jolixte
June 6th, 2007, 12:41 AM
Yeah. Still, I think all the Atheist stuff is interesting. A lot of it really makes you think.

*shrug* I'm already an Atheist, but most of the stuff that I've read about from them makes me groan. I've probably learned more from honestly faithful people than faithless people, but that's probably just me.

I'm not really sure why I'm going off like this. Heh, oh well.

SSanf
June 6th, 2007, 12:46 AM
*shrug* I'm already an Atheist, but most of the stuff that I've read about from them makes me groan. I've probably learned more from honestly faithful people than faithless people, but that's probably just me.

I'm not really sure why I'm going off like this. Heh, oh well.You have probably already read most of this stuff and it is old hat to you.

I am putting it up for the people who may never have seen it.

I figure most of it should be somewhere in a non-theistic forum.

When I am done with the Atheist stuff, I will probaly see what I can do with Humanists and agnostics. You may like that better. I don't know what after that.

Atheism is easy. There is tons of material out there.

Shanti
June 6th, 2007, 12:58 AM
I find it amusing. Many have their little gimmicks and whatever to get their point across. This is just another way to get attention to another concept in a pool of a million plus concepts. I see nothing wrong with it.

Plus too you have other ideals with rules or guidelines, this concept isn't really any different IMO.

gwendar
June 6th, 2007, 11:27 PM
I don't think that whoever came up with the "Atheist Commandments" ever meant them to be actual commandments...