PDA

View Full Version : Personal books(grimoires, bos)

reanna
April 17th, 2001, 01:58 AM
I have finally found a nice composition book to transfer all sorts of information over to to act as a personal book.
Up until now, I have been printing everything out and saving it all between 2 binders and a few notebooks. I find this rather confusing however when I go to look for something I know I have read and have to search and search.
Would I be further ahead to separate the composition book into equal parts and label it to keep it organized and number each page and make a table of contents, or just transfer things that I know will get a fair amount of use and start files for holidays and recipes elsewhere.
I know it should really be appealing to me, but I am lost. I have brought the book out, looked at it, flipped through the empty pages and then put it away because I was actually timid of making a mistake and being unhappy with it. (does that even make sense!?!) I know that it will be the first of many, but I really want it to be an excellent reference in the future.
Any thoughts, advice or ideas are greatly appreciated.

TIA

:)

Fawn
April 17th, 2001, 11:49 PM
I know the feeling and when the time is right you will write in your grimoire. Take your time and do it when it is conveninet for you.

Lilu
April 18th, 2001, 09:41 AM
Hi Reanna,

I agree with Fawn, take your time and it'll all work out fine.

However, it is important to point out that there is no rule anywhere saying that you have to have a huge tome of information that you have handwritten.

My BOS is a large binder, and a lot of the information in it is printed off the computer - some of it is insights and things I've written on different message boards, yahoo clubs, emails, and in my own online journal and other websites.

Some of the information is a series of articles printed off the internet and then I take a sheet of loose leaf paper and write my thoughts on the article to be filed with the article in the appropriate place.

I find the binder is the best way for me because I can use dividers to organise information into different sections, making things easy to find if I want it.

So don't feel pressured into keeping a huge handwritten book just because everyone else says you should - this is the 21st century! Do what you want :-)

Bright Blessings,
Lilu

sandaljunkie
April 18th, 2001, 10:55 AM
I started a bos a little bit ago - divided into sections and didn't like the feel of it at all.

I have always been a journal type of girl and like my own handwriting -

When i got a new book, i promised myself to not define it (i hate that stuff) and to let it unfold as my journals do. i just make sure i number the pages when i write on them and i left a blank page at the front so whenever i write information that i use quite alot, i write it in the front with the page number (as a table of contents).

Plus, the pages i use the most are usually really worn and the book opens to them anyway.

Just do what feels right and eventually you will filter out all that doesn't work for you and in a little while you will have a perfect book for you.

-sandaljunkie

Kaylara
April 18th, 2001, 11:08 AM
Well, I do both the composition book and binders. I have about 12 binders full of information, and so many composition books that I can't keep track of them. (there is some duplicate information because of that.)
The binders are continually being added on to, but I keep a hand written index of where the information is, articles, etc. (speaking of which, I have to re-organize them soon, and write a new index)

I also have a ton of books on history, psychology, wicca, paganism, and ceremonial magicianship.
I am going to copy all of the information that I have in the binders into composition books, (or maybe just retype them.) and when I have a student who I feel is worthy of them, I will give my binders to them. (Just how I got my binders. Except I only got about 7.)

Well, that's just me.

Blessed be!
Kaylara

PS. A great page for information is www.omphalos.net

crystal_night
April 19th, 2001, 02:14 AM
I have to be one of the most unorganized people I know...! I keep binders, I keep floppies, I have files upon files, I have notebooks. But usually when I need to look something up I can usually find it pretty quickly. I've read books on how to organize a BOS but do you know how hard it is to divide something into a category? I could spend a year just deciding on where to put one tid-bit of information! Should I put this here or here? Decisions, decisions! In the end we each have our own way of filing things, there is no right or wrong way, it just depends on how picky you are.

reanna
April 19th, 2001, 02:23 AM
Very wonderfully useful information and points. I think you may have hit the nail on the head. I have been putting it off because I was so worried about the final outcome. I really like your thoughts and insights.
Thanks again. I will just let it happen when it happens. :)

Ari
April 21st, 2001, 04:34 AM
I use binders; then if I make a mistake, I can just unclip the page and redo it ;) I'm always adding things to the various sections, so I don't have to guess at how many pages of a book I'll need. A lot of my recipes, invocations etc I keep on computer and never print out...it saves paper, and makes it easy to compile and print rituals if I'm drawing from a number of sources and want more than one copy of the "script".

Amethyst Rose
April 21st, 2001, 02:39 PM
I don't have a Book of Shadows, I have a Disk of Shadows. :)
A big chunk of my hard drive is dedicated to my BoS, and it is extremely organized...files within files, and information and articles on anything imaginable. I keep thinking that some day I'll print it all out and put it into a binder and make a real book out of it, but over the years it's grown to the point that it would probably take two ink cartridges to print everything out....
Or maybe that's just my procrastination talking.... I'll regret not printing it out, or at least saving it all on a cd, when something horrible happens to the computer and the entire BoS is lost.....

Earth Walker
April 21st, 2001, 02:54 PM
I have the book, Book of Shadows.
I find it to be very well written, and I find it to be
exhilarating to share the journey into the wisdom
of Witchcraft and the Magic of the Goddess, with
my sisters and brothers. :sunny: :heartthro

If you want the best seat in the house, you will have
to move the cat. :eek: