PDA

View Full Version : Balance

Philosophia
June 17th, 2007, 11:31 PM
A lot of major criticisms of the Dianic tradition comes from the idea of "balance".

If you believe in balance, how do you incorporate this into your path?

Strawberry Bounce
June 18th, 2007, 12:28 AM
I need balance but I don't necessarily see masculine/feminine as being it. I honor a variety of Goddesses and they're all very different from each other. That's balance to me.

EvieLee
June 18th, 2007, 01:15 AM
I don't see energy as being divided into masculine and feminine. Nurturing can be a trait of both men and women, as can rage or emotion, etc. So balance lies more in completion rather than some kind of cosmic see-saw.

Snapdragon
June 18th, 2007, 09:14 AM
The world is so unbalanced that the planet is threatened with destruction.

In human societies, with very few exceptions, women are ruled with violence and threats and treated as inferiors and servants. The threats may be more or less "civilized," and the inferiority may be codified in law or simply a matter of cultural bias, but they are palpable, visible.

Thus, to respond to Her, to "call Her forward into Being," is itself a rectifying act, one of restoring balance in an extremely unbalanced world. In a house that is burning, what is needed is not equal parts water and fire; what is needed is water.

Thus, it seems to me entirely timely and a manifestation of Her emerging presence in the world, that Dianic spirituality is on the rise.

RainInanna
June 18th, 2007, 09:15 AM
I touched on this in the other thread. I consider the Goddess to contain both masculine and feminine, yin and yang, light and dark, etc. As an individual I too can contain balance, even though I am one woman. I don't see how the Divine, who ultimately are beyond physical sexual attributes, should be any different.

Fiamma
June 18th, 2007, 03:17 PM
Interesting idea...but if you look at the yin-yang symbol, the yin contains a bit of the yang and the yang contains a bit of the yin. So here you have the yin with a bit of yang....but no yang with a bit of yin.

I touched on this in the other thread. I consider the Goddess to contain both masculine and feminine, yin and yang, light and dark, etc. As an individual I too can contain balance, even though I am one woman. I don't see how the Divine, who ultimately are beyond physical sexual attributes, should be any different.

Strawberry Bounce
June 18th, 2007, 04:04 PM
I don't see energy as being divided into masculine and feminine. Nurturing can be a trait of both men and women, as can rage or emotion, etc. So balance lies more in completion rather than some kind of cosmic see-saw.

Right. Many Goddesses have traits that people describe as "masculine."

RainInanna
June 18th, 2007, 04:09 PM
I understand if you see the Goddess as "yin with a bit of yang", but I feel if I am to work towards balance as an individual of one sex, certainly I can assume the Goddess can be balanced in and of herself. If an individual Goddess can't be balanced with only one gender, how could I be? Personally, it is important for me to recognize myself as a complete person unto myself, not as one half.

Anubis RainHawk
June 18th, 2007, 06:30 PM
Though I'm not a Dianic Witch, I think it's worth noting a concept that Starhawk once said. Basically, you can't level a see-saw by sitting in the middle and her devotion to the Goddess was her was of restoring the balance of patriarchal culture. I don't know if I agree, but that's one thought.