PDA

View Full Version : Dianic Sabbats - Litha or Yule

Philosophia
June 18th, 2007, 11:52 PM
For the people who celebrate sabbats, Litha (northern hemisphere) and Yule (southern hemisphere) is coming up rather quickly. In terms of your Dianic tradition or Goddess worshiping path, how are you going to celebrate the upcoming Sabbat?

Dawa Lhamo
June 19th, 2007, 12:08 AM
Wait a minute... isn't Summer Solstice opposite Winter Solstice? I'm confused...

EvieLee
June 19th, 2007, 12:16 AM
Yup, Winter Solstice is June 22nd...ish in the Southern Hem. If I remember right.

I won't be doing anything. I'm doing a year of natural observances to attune myself to the natural significance of the turning of the wheel. I should be done soonish as I started in Spring of last year. My plan is that by seeing the patterns (even though it's only one years worth of a very changable climate) I'll be able to apply my own mythology and practices to a personal set of sabbats.

I'm getting impatient though. lol.

Philosophia
June 19th, 2007, 12:28 AM
Wait a minute... isn't Summer Solstice opposite Winter Solstice? I'm confused...

Whoops...sorry about that. _inabox_ I've been getting ahead of myself :(

RainInanna
June 19th, 2007, 07:03 PM
My plan is that by seeing the patterns (even though it's only one years worth of a very changable climate)

How are you doing this? I imagine you're journalling, if so what are you noting?

I'll be able to apply my own mythology and practices to a personal set of sabbats.

That's interesting. Do you mean you'll write entirely new mythology, or patch bits from existing mythologies into a cohesive whole?

I've rarely celebrated the sabbats. It just seems lonely as a solitary. Right now I'm just doing some pondering, meditating on a few things related to prosperity in my life, and the shadows that the sun illuminates. I'm considering what I need to shed light on, and what I need to burn away. I keep thinking about getting some sunflowers and lighting some yellow and orange candles and orange incense, maybe I'll do that.

EvieLee
June 19th, 2007, 08:56 PM
How are you doing this? I imagine you're journalling, if so what are you noting?

Yup, once a month I sit down with my journal and note all the prominent things I've noticed or things that have changed since my last entry. I've mainly been focusing on weather patterns and plant and animal life, but have found that hard living in the suburbs. Plus we have so many introduced species of plants near by that they're always doing something different to everything else. ie the gum trees are still leafy, but another pale-barked tree dropped all it's leaves in Autumn. Of course, I have to take into account my non-existant skills in gardening. lol.

That's interesting. Do you mean you'll write entirely new mythology, or patch bits from existing mythologies into a cohesive whole?

I intend to take a step back when I'm done and look for patterns of womanhood. I don't follow a pantheon, so existing mythology won't be terribly prominent, but won't be entirely ignored either of course. It will most likely be a very intuitive process, not to mention changeable. I look forward to it. :smile:

Philosophia
June 20th, 2007, 07:33 PM
Thats really interesting, EvieLee! :hugz:

EvieLee
June 21st, 2007, 12:53 AM
Thank you. :smile:

A few years ago I realised that I had absolutely no idea what or why I was celebrating. So I spent a while looking for resources, but became frustrated with the "God and Goddess" myths that kept poping up and decided to just do it myself. I just got my copy of Ariadne's Thread last week and put in an order for Grandmother of Time to gain some insight too.

Tis fun. I highly recommend it.

Mrs.Sidhe
June 24th, 2007, 01:01 PM
This is late...but...

I performed an interesting ritual that I found online (I usuallly write a lot of my rituals but I didn't have time this time around--my daughter was having a bit of a bad day.) it was really well written and made me completely understand that I could celebrate these holidays in my Goddess based spirituality.

Here is the link if anyone wants it in the future:

http://www.awakenedwoman.com/solstice_ritual.htm

http://www.awakenedwoman.com/spring_contents.htm

That site in general is just a good source of info for those interested. :)

alwaysfallingup
July 5th, 2007, 05:10 PM
For Yule, my women's circle once did a ritual that centered around Amaterasu's emergence from the cave rather than the birth of the sun as the God. It was really fun...we did ritual theater and focused on mirrors as the sun orb. It was silly and warming and nice and just cheerful as all get-out.

RainInanna
August 5th, 2007, 10:42 PM
Yup, once a month I sit down with my journal and note all the prominent things I've noticed or things that have changed since my last entry. I've mainly been focusing on weather patterns and plant and animal life, but have found that hard living in the suburbs.

Hey I notice you wrote more about this on your LJ at http://everevie.livejournal.com/4138.html - fascinating. I'll have to try to read it when my brain and net are working smoothly.

EvieLee
August 5th, 2007, 10:51 PM
Oh yes, it's a very abridged version as I was trying to work it out for myself as much as anything. And it's still in the works. Hopefully you and others can make sense of it. :lol: