View Full Version : A-1 "Three AM"

June 21st, 2007, 06:05 AM
Just so you know, this isn't my best. I'm getting the flu or something, but I hope it's alright. :)

Cassandra frowned, her hands tapping against the dinner table impatiently. The table was a long, dark mahogany wood table but other than a silver vase which was dreadfully plain and held quickly dying roses in it, the table lay bare. She was tempted to growl, but knew all too well that it wouldn't help - getting angry in her grandfathers house never had.

Standing abruptly, making her matching wooden chair clatter backwards onto the floor she walked towards the wood fire at the opposite end of the room, not stopping to pick the chair up - not caring, really, it picked itself up even as she turned her back to it. The fire filled the room with a low, flickering orange light that gave the otherwise dark room a nice warm feeling.

Warm? Here? Never. she thought to herself, watching the flames flicker and jump in the red brick fireplace, she crouched down next to it, not caring if she dirtied the fine silk dress. She wore it only because she was forced, only because Grandfather said so.

'Cassandra Louise.'

The words where sudden out of the almost complete silence of the room and it startled her, she looked up at the direction of the voice, which caused her to turn quickly, her long brown ringlets falling loose from the bun she had placed them in only an hour before. 'Do not call me Cassandra Louise, Papa. I do not appreciate it.' she said with spite as she rose from her position on the floor, only a few feet from him. The material of the dress caught under her bare feet and tore slightly, but she left it be. Her grandfather smirked ever so slightly, cold blue eyes watching the beautiful child before him. 'Now, Cassandra. No need to be so.. quick to anger.' He drawled. His voice was sweet with practice, the perfect elderly gentleman's voice.

'Papa, you'd be quick to anger too if you'd been woken up at two am by complete strangers who where shoving clothes at you muttering about three am!' she complained, crossing her arms over her chest and shaking her hair loose so it fell in a river of curls and waves over her shoulders.

'Three am is an important time ma petite.'

'Yeah, yeah. Blah blah blah witching hour, blah blah Goddess of death, blah bloody blah.' she rolled her eyes. 'Papa, witches can function in the daylight quite well, you know. I do just fine.'

'Perhaps we want better than just fine, now come along.' the old man said, there was a slight growl to his voice as he grabbed her arm and her eyes widened slightly and she slapped him. He hissed and yanked her arm roughly and she was forced to walk along with him.

'Papa, what is your problem? If you're looking for virgin sacrifices, you really got the wrong girl. Ask your French butler, he's good with his hands.' it was half teasing, half annoyed. She didn't know what was up with him tonight but the sacrifice thing was a joke, only think he's ever sacrificed at the altar was food and plants, basically.

He dragged her down a long hallway, forcing her to half jog and she frowned at him, then using her momentum yanked backwards to stop them. 'And what's with the dress?'

'Oh. Nothing, your mother used to like it so I sent it. I wasn't sure if you still slept in the nude or not.' he said distractedly, looking back at her.

She raised an eyebrow at him and rolled her eyes. 'And I do, which is why waking up to strangers is a mite bit disturbing, you old coot!'

Her grandfather waved his hand dismissively and walked her the last two feet of the corridor and around a corner, and not to her surprised they were in the very depths of his manor.

'The dungeons, Papa? It's really a bit... cliché'. she said with a raised eyebrow as he ushered her inside. It was going to be a long morning.

June 25th, 2007, 08:51 AM
Very nicely done. I like how you show us her lack of interest and zeal in a mixture of diolouge and description. Well done.

June 26th, 2007, 12:37 AM
Thank you :D