PDA

View Full Version : Lesson III-Manipulating energy through ritual (theory)

~Owl~
June 26th, 2007, 01:32 AM
There is a belief system that ritual acts must be precisely done correctly, for magick to occur.
This does have some strong belief backing it, as many individuals believe every movement you make casts a slight change in "reality".

Catholics who "genuflect" themselves, and many other such acts have evolved throughout history.
Ritual acts to produce 'supernatural' effects are far from young. In most traditional Craft traditions, ritual is a base for magick to occur.

The casting of the Circle, the saluting, and "dismissing" of the Watchtowers, or Guardians of the four sacred points of the Circle.

The sacred Invocations to the God/dess...

An excerpt from one of my writings ( from The Owl's Perch Homepage):

When you cast a Circle, you need not always draw a physical one. It depends on your view of the properties of your magickal boundaries, including the four quarters. Many Witches use candles to mark the Circle.

Speaking of "boundaries", you can and DO draw your Circle through the walls, when working indoors. This space is not limited by matter or time. What you are doing is creating sacred space. In a very powerful Circle, you may realize that three hours have gone by, yet it felt like thirty minutes. The physical aspect of your Circle is only for your conscious mind to comprehend that there is in fact, a barrier between the mundane world and sacred space, where you raise energy, the same energy you draw your Circle with. Both are invisible, yes? Therefore, it is not limited by such mundane boundaries as physical matter.
Second, the magick Circle is used to protect you from negative forces. These forces are intertwined in our lives, which is why people like us can manipulate the physical world around us with this "power".

This "power"...is in us, is a part of us, not apart from us, as other spiritual belief have you testify your faith to.

It IS us. Once you truly, TRULY transcend the trappings of the belief that you are NOT apart from your reality, but a part OF your reality, you can accomplish great things.

Understanding is one dimensional. It leads to knowledge, which you possess.

Realization, is three dimensional, when you see it, feel it, and know it all around you.

To light a candle, is to cast a shadow, as the saying goes.

You are responsible for ALL your actions, for they lead to reactions, like a ripple in a pond...

To Be Continued...

-EDIT-

FROM CORRESPONDENCE WITH LYLIAN, IN THE 411 CHAT THREAD:

When you you are spell-casting, be it through ritual magick, by way of a poppet, or weaving the energy you are using into a pouch for a charm, filled with roots, herbs, a quartz, etc., and empowering it, by using color magick, such as a yellow cloth for success, and sewn together, sealing it with the attraction power of orange string...in this case then, the energy you are working with is not being raised, therefore, a Circle need not be cast. Instead, you are using ritual through movement.

If you are performing magick to affect an outcome that involves the raising and directing of energy, especially during an auspicious time such as a "High" Sabbat, one of the four major celebrations, as Lady Day, Brigid, Oimelc, Imbolc, Candlemas, The Lupercalia, and other names that generally fall around the first week of February, the first stirrings of life within the earth; Beltane, the fire festival celebrating the fertile, rich, life giving earth, that is the Maiden, on the First of May; The sacred Harvest known as Lughnassad, in honor of Lugh, also known as Lammas, on Aug.1st, and finally, the Grand Sabbat, Samhain, Nov. 1st., The witches' New Year, when we pay homage to those who have passed on before us...

Or the "Cross Quarters", the Spring and Fall Equinox, and the Summer and Winter Solstice, when Day and night are in equal Balance...An Esbat, such as a Full Moon Ritual, a Dark Moon Ritual, or any time a coven gathers, or a Solirary, to celebrate any of these times could be used to magnify a magickal working that would require energy to be raised within a Circle.

In future lessons of this course, the raising and directing of energy in a Circle will be discussed, and elaborated on more.

Glory
July 3rd, 2007, 09:06 AM
Figured I'd post... this theory sounds interesting to me.

What ensures that you get your intended reaction from whatever action we perform? Does it come from us and what makes sense to us, personally?

~Owl~
July 11th, 2007, 04:26 PM
Figured I'd post... this theory sounds interesting to me.

What ensures that you get your intended reaction from whatever action we perform? Does it come from us and what makes sense to us, personally?

That's a VERY good question, Gloty, and my apologies for not addressing it sooner.

As we are dealing with a class, that will be very extensive in the theory and creation of ritual, your question deals more with a fundamental belief that since the creation of the ritual was performed correctly,will it therfore be successful? Yes?

Now.

BELIEF is a fundemental factor, in the success of a ritual. There are MANY deep, and advaced theories to this, again, which will be included in the class.

YOUR truth is yours alone. Not mine, or anyone else. But VERY powerful in magic, and in your circumstances in life, and how you react to them.

Therefore, in MY opinion, if YOU believe the spell will be successful, I believe this trumps questioning over "where is the proof?"

Glory, remember, dear...There will ALWAYS be a rational explanation (most of the time;)) if you look for it. The magick of yesterday, is today's science.

But like the infamous "ripple effect" in the proverbial pond...whatever you send out, WILL have a "ripple effect", now whether it is what you wanted...*shrugs* that is another candle, waiting to be lit.

I hope this heps answer your question. AS ALWAYS, if not, PLEASE...tell me so, and say, "ya daft featherhead! That's NOT was I was asking!!!"

OK...

Maybe not like THAT, but you get the point. I hope. ;)

wolf
July 16th, 2007, 06:33 PM
I always considered it a matter of good magickal practice to cast a circle for any sort of working or energy raising, regardless of whether it's ceremonial (such as celebrating a moon or sabbat), or purposeful (creating a magickal object or doing readings).

Energy raising tends to generate attention on the mystical side of things, and I prefer to keep the door shut to unwelcome entities.

~Owl~
July 17th, 2007, 01:32 PM
Many practioners of magick feel the same way, wolf.

Better to be safe than sorry, eh?

wolf
July 17th, 2007, 02:30 PM
During part of my shamanic training, the Obike started a class without raising a circle. Most of the other students didn't notice. I set up my own circle and wards, as did one of the other students.

The following week's class started with everybody else complaining about the nuisance beasties that they'd been dealing with for the past seven days.

Some things are better to learn in a classroom setting.

RunningRiot
July 18th, 2007, 01:20 PM
Many years ago, when I first learned how to cast a circle, I'd do it for every little thing; from readings to meditation. It did grant me greater clarity, protection, and all the good things that come with those.

I was curious though, Owl. What happens when a physical creature (like the adorable pet kitty) decides to just ignore your carefully set up circle boarders? Does the circle fizzle, or is that up to your belief system?

~Owl~
July 18th, 2007, 01:50 PM
I was curious though, Owl. What happens when a physical creature (like the adorable pet kitty) decides to just ignore your carefully set up circle boarders? Does the circle fizzle, or is that up to your belief system?

When I first started, I had the same fears.
But I was taught dogs, cats, etc are attuned to the Circle, are ALWAYS attracted to magickal work, and not only do not adverely affect it, but energize it.
They can freely pass, as they are more sensitive.
How else could you work with a familiar?
I never had bad results with my late Familiar, Sebastian, a siamese, preferred for their heritage to Bast.

RunningRiot
July 19th, 2007, 02:41 AM
Ah, I never thought about it like that before, thank you! My cat is half-siamese, and the other is black with a patch of white. I didn't want to crate them during ritual, so I'm glad to hear others have worked with them in sacred space.

When I first started, I had the same fears.
But I was taught dogs, cats, etc are attuned to the Circle, are ALWAYS attracted to magickal work, and not only do not adverely affect it, but energize it.
They can freely pass, as they are more sensitive.
How else could you work with a familiar?
I never had bad results with my late Familiar, Sebastian, a siamese, preferred for their heritage to Bast.

~Owl~
July 20th, 2007, 06:01 AM
:)

Glad I was able to ease your mind.

Well, back to work. ;)

~Owl~
July 24th, 2007, 04:13 PM
Now, let's keep in mind, we are starting to drift off topic here, onto the creation of Circle Casting, a completly different class lesson set up in the future, I assure you...;)

Therefore, let us try to guide ourselves back to the lesson itself: The Creation of Manipulating Energy BY WAYS OF RITUAL MEANS in order to produce the desired effect.

How do you feel about this? Do you practice it? How?

What ritual that creates the the essence of magickal energy raised and directed, works best for you?

Explain in detail.

Lylian
July 24th, 2007, 06:27 PM
I have always before meditating invisioned a whitle light surrounding me for protection. If you are putting your energy into lets say a Tarot reading or charging a candle would that be concidered raising energy? Would it be concidered manitipulating since you are directing the energy?

RunningRiot
July 27th, 2007, 09:46 AM
One of the best ways I can think about manipulating energy is by making thought-forms, they're external astral beings created by your energy to do certain things.

wolf
July 27th, 2007, 08:27 PM
Now, let's keep in mind, we are starting to drift off topic here, onto the creation of Circle Casting, a completly different class lesson set up in the future, I assure you...;)

Sorry about that, Chief. That appeared to be the focus of your initial post. I at least went with that.

Therefore, let us try to guide ourselves back to the lesson itself: The Creation of Manipulating Energy BY WAYS OF RITUAL MEANS in order to produce the desired effect.

How do you feel about this? Do you practice it? How?

I feel that it the raising of and manipulating energy is a primary purpose of ritual, whether practiced as a solitary, or in a group. Even if you are just meditating alone, energy is generated in that practice, and goes somewhere at the conclusion of the practice, even if it is to revitalize the practitioner.

What ritual that creates the the essence of magickal energy raised and directed, works best for you?

Explain in detail.

I use a number of different methods ... some as simple as just drawing in the energy, which can be from the earth, sun, moon, or elements, and visualizing the building of a ball of energy. I know that a lot of authors talk about raising a "cone of power," but the ball visualization works better for me. I also use drumming, rattling, chanting, or flute playing (or a combination) to raise and direct the energy. The physical action can help in the focusing, or can be distracting depending upon how used to doing it you are. In group rituals, sometimes we will all drum, or we've also used a "guest drummer" to help that participants keep focus.

The energy is already there, I'm not creating it, just gathering and channelling it.

Lunar Raven
August 9th, 2007, 08:58 PM
Many years ago, when I first learned how to cast a circle, I'd do it for every little thing; from readings to meditation. It did grant me greater clarity, protection, and all the good things that come with those.

I am that way now. Whenever I cast a circle, I just get a different type of feeling that comes over me. It really changes the atmosphere...and puts me in a sort of "mode"..so to speak. It gives me a sense of protection, and clarity as you say. So I generally cast one regardless :p.

~Owl~
August 18th, 2007, 06:46 PM
even though some do not cast a Circle at all, while others cast a circle depenintg on their "needs"....

I tend to agree, even though I may have led others to believe otw, that a Circle of SOME sort should be ast around you ANYTIME you are participating in magical workings.

for when you draw up energy, it is the same principle as a moth to a flame.

The "flame" is the energy that is being drawn in, and raised, and manipulated, and concentrated, no matter what type of spell you are using, you are STILL using some form of enery, are you not?

Therefore, you are BOUND to attract 'moths'- entities that may or may not have a conciousness of their own, for good or evil.

And the purpose of casting a Circle is to ward off these types of entities, as well as contain the energy that is being raised and directed.

I suggest you all think on this.