PDA

View Full Version : Advices about Goidelic?

Silverfangs
June 29th, 2007, 06:19 PM
Greetings!

Since I've started reading more about the Celtiberians and their language, I've discovered that what they spoken and wrote was very similar to the Goidelic. My interest in learning this language is kinda growing, but I am a total noob in this area.

What do you guys sugest? What is your experience with Goidelic/Gaelic? Is it very difficult to learn? From where do I start?

Peace :)

Seren_
June 29th, 2007, 07:07 PM
It depends on which Goidelic language you want to learn, really. One of the modern languages such as Irish (Gaeilge) or Scottish Gaelic (Gidhlig) would be the easiest to learn, but from historical manuscripts it's also possible to learn Old Irish or Middle Irish, for example (which evolved into modern Irish). I think which one you choose to learn depends on why you want to learn it...

I guess Old Irish would be the closest to what you're looking for if you're looking for whatever is closest to Celtiberian. There's Primitive Irish, which is the precursor of Old Irish, but it only exists in fragments and I doubt it would be an easy thing to learn.

I'm personally of opinion that languages are easy to learn if you have the knack. I'm guessing, since you're from Portugal, that English isn't your first language, so I would think since you're doing just fine here, another language wouldn't be too much of a problem. Once you learn the rules, the rest should follow.

I know Faol-chu speaks Scots Gaelic, and Nantonos has studied reconstructed Gaulish (IIRC) and is a bit of a linguistic expert, so perhaps they could give you more specific advice in that area, if they're about. I'm terrible at languages, myself.

Silverfangs
June 29th, 2007, 08:24 PM
Thanks for the quick reply! :) I'm trying to look on the net for more tips or online classes.

I studied English, French and Latin at school so I don't think learning a language is dificult. What concearns me is the grammatic structure of this languages. For instance, when I had Latin, it took a while for me to get confortable with all the declinations (Nominative, Genitive, etc.). I just don't know what to expect of Goidelic grammar system... :)

Seren_
June 29th, 2007, 08:34 PM
I did Latin too, and I still have no idea what nominative or genitive even means...

For Scots Gaelic, try http://www.smo.uhi.ac.uk/gaidhlig/gaidhlig.html#ionnsachadh Those are some links you might find useful from Sabhal Mr Ostaig (a college) on Skye.

Youtube has some Irish lessons, which might be worth looking at:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=gaelic+lessons&search=Search

Faol-chu
June 29th, 2007, 08:40 PM
In Scottish Gaelic (an Irish Gaelic, as well) there are definitely different noun cases. Verbs also change frequently, depending on how they are being used, tense, what nouns are next to them, etc. There is a lot of lenition of verbs, nouns, and adjectives, and it all depends on what is next to them.

I can recommend Teach Yourself Gaelic, by Boyd Robertson and Iaian Taylor. I also recommend Colin Mark's Am Faclair Gaidhlig-Beurla ( The Gaelic-English Dictionary). Colin Mark has also written a book called Gaelic Verbs, which has just recently been reprinted...Yeah...the verbs are that complicated...enough to need a whole book about them...:)

Le meas,

Faol-chu
June 29th, 2007, 08:43 PM
I also wanted to say that I do not personally think that Scots Gaelic is that difficult to learn. (I took some German years ago, and had no problem with that, either.) You just have to get past the idea that it decodes like Latin-based languages...because it doesn't.

In Scottish Gaelic (an Irish Gaelic, as well) there are definitely different noun cases. Verbs also change frequently, depending on how they are being used, tense, what nouns are next to them, etc. There is a lot of lenition of verbs, nouns, and adjectives, and it all depends on what is next to them.

I can recommend Teach Yourself Gaelic, by Boyd Robertson and Iaian Taylor. I also recommend Colin Mark's Am Faclair Gaidhlig-Beurla ( The Gaelic-English Dictionary). Colin Mark has also written a book called Gaelic Verbs, which has just recently been reprinted...Yeah...the verbs are that complicated...enough to need a whole book about them...:)

Le meas,