PDA

View Full Version : Wii help needed!

halfwaynowhere
July 2nd, 2007, 11:04 PM
my sister and her husband just got a Wii, and are trying to set it up on a widescreen TV. The screen isn't fitting, though. Its set for Widescreen, but its still doesn't fit. Googling hasn't helped. We can't figure out what else to do. Anybody have any suggestions?

Diashto
July 3rd, 2007, 08:18 AM
Make sure the tv is set to allow widescreen pictures also. You may need to get the componant cable for the Wii for it to display properly too.

Also, if its a cinema-width widescreen, it will still have the black bars on the side.

halfwaynowhere
July 3rd, 2007, 11:31 AM
we can't figure out how to change the settings on the tv.. when the tv menu is up, the screen resizes to fit perfectly, but as soon as the menu goes away, it stretches funny again. i couldn't find anything in the TV manual about how to change the settings... game play isn't too hard with the screen not fitting, at least, not with wii sports, or wii play...

aeroeng
July 3rd, 2007, 12:25 PM
well, I know that you shouldn't need the component cable for the Wii to display widescreen (I did get it later for the improved picture clarity though).

What exactly is the problem. Can you please be a little more specific with "the screen doesn't fit". Is it being stretched horizontally so that it fills the whole screen but is "stretched"? Or is it stuck in 4:3 ratio, which means that there are bars on either side?

Also, do you notice a difference when switching the Wii from 4:3 to 16:9?

And if you can find out what kind of tv it is (make and model would be fantastic) perhaps we could offer some better, more specific advice.

halfwaynowhere
July 3rd, 2007, 02:28 PM
okay, the screen is fitting across the width of the tv with no problem, but its stretching too much vertically, so the top and bottom of the screen are not visible. there is a noticable difference when switched to 4:3, it goes even more off the screen. The TV is a panasonic PT53WX54J projection tv, I have the manual, but can't seem to find anything useful.
http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/PT53WX54J.PDF
we don't have the original remote, the TV was a store display model, and the remote was lost, and i know that some of the settings can only be done by remote, so maybe thats what the problem is.

aeroeng
July 11th, 2007, 12:42 PM
That description sounds like the setting is stuck on zoom mode. If you look at the bottom right of page 9 in the manual (page 11 in the pdf) you can see a written and visual description of what "zoom" looks like. The tv also fixes itself when in zoom mode and you enter a menu, then distorts upon exiting a menu.

That seems to fit the description you gave. If that's the case... it can be fixed by hitting the "aspect button" on the remote... which unfortunately you said you do not have. I suppose if you contacted the manufacturer, they could get a new remote to you if you explained the situation. I hope this helps and I'm sorry if that's the case with the only solution be a button the lost remote (I find it incredibly retarded that you can do some functions only via the remote).

halfwaynowhere
July 11th, 2007, 02:25 PM
yeah, the remote thing is just dumb... they bought the component cable for the wii, and it works just fine now. i wish they would just get the TV remote, though, because they need it for other things anyways... My sister is just lazy. She probably could have just called customer support when she bought the TV and gotten a new remote free of charge, since it didn't come with one... anyways, wii problem is fixed, thanks so much for your help.

ShadowStalker
July 11th, 2007, 02:50 PM
We hardly ever play ours... but let me ask tonight when I get home... he set it up on our widescreen and may have some suggestions for you.

ETA: :lol: Sorry, just read your post that you got it solved! Yay!!