PDA

View Full Version : Assignment 2

WulfcwenStar
July 5th, 2007, 04:01 AM
SG Assignment 2

Look up and find plants and animals associated with your deity.
Find out if you can obtain any of the plants in your area and if they can be grown in containers.

TheRiverDaughter
July 5th, 2007, 02:03 PM
For me, I'd definitely have to include (since I'm allowed to dream outside my southern/coastal area AND my teeny apartment balcony)

Roses
Lilies
Crocus
Ivy
Passionflower
Chamomile
Marigolds
Iris
Violets
Lily of the valley
Columbine
St. John's wort
Bleeding Heart
Rosemary
Pansies

For now, I content myself with Rosemary and Violets and an Ivy-type crawler plant - space and sunlight are *very* limited here, and bulb flowers (like Lilies) just don't do well. I could possibly get a climbing rose for the balcony though, as we have a fabulous nursery nearby.

October
July 5th, 2007, 02:16 PM
My patron goddess is Rhiannon, and pansies, sage, and rosemary do deffinitely grow here. In fact, we have them in our back yard at this moment.
Also, her animals include horses and songbirds. I'm taking an equestrian course in the fall and we do have doves and mockingbirds nesting in our yard.

WulfcwenStar
July 12th, 2007, 04:18 AM
Hi SentineledFirs
I know that Bleeding Heart ( Dicentra) grows in partial shade we have one that is in partial shade and it does really well. Maybe you could grow that on the balcony.

Hi October
You can get pansies that are winter flowering as well so maybe you could incorporate them into your plans.

Willow Rosette
July 18th, 2007, 05:02 AM
Years ago I found a statue of a Goddess and knew she was meant to go in my garden. I really dont know who she is, but I do know that since I have had her my Garden has taken a drastic change from "pretty flowers" to more specifically herbs.

I googled to see if I could find a picture that came close but I couldnt find one. So tomorrow I will take her out in the sunlight and take a picture of her.

I dont know what plants would be goood for her but it seems like I add on when they call to me.

Right now my main conccern is my gourd plant. It wants more sun than I can give it, but she has taught me so much that maybe that is simply her purpose.

WulfcwenStar
July 20th, 2007, 04:51 AM
That is lovely I would go with plants that call to you for her.

Annorah
August 14th, 2007, 06:35 AM
I have struggled with this slightly as I tend to work with different Goddesses for different things and, so far, I haven't been able to identify my "gardening goddess".

So, as I believe that each Goddess is an aspect of THE Goddess, I will go with plants to represent Her as Maiden, Mother and Crone.

Maiden aspect plants for my garden are Crocus, Daisy, Hyacinth, Periwinkle and Rose

Mother aspect plants for my garden are Crocus, Iris, Poppy and Sunflower

Crone aspect plants for my garden are Lavender and Lily

All of these plants are evident in the local area so should grow in my garden.

I shall try to incorporate lunar symbols into the design as well as general Goddess symbols. I have a large seashell shaped planter which I hope to fill with pansies to bring some winter colour to the garden.

I haven't really worked with the Gods much but I think I will try to incorporate some imagery and plants into my garden for balance - maybe solar symbols.

WulfcwenStar
August 16th, 2007, 05:21 AM
Hi Annorah
What a lovely idea the three aspects of the Goddess would make a lovely garden.
You can always get hold of ornaments for the garden that will add to the theme as well. Your Shell container sounds lovely and winter flowering Pansies are always so colourful on bleak winter days I love them and use them a lot even in hanging baskets to brighten the doorway.

SilverClaw
May 11th, 2008, 06:24 PM
Look up and find plants and animals associated with your deity.
Find out if you can obtain any of the plants in your area and if they can be grown in containers.For me since I have had many connections with various deities this is what I have come up with.

Bast - Animal association is cat
Plant associations Cat Nip ( which is a herb I grown for teas) and yes I grow them in containers.

Anubius-Animal association - Jackal, Dog
Plant associations -

Hestia - Animal association - Dog, Cats (domesticated animals)
Plant associations -poppy, goldenrod < I have to see if I can still get them locally.

Hecate - Animal association - Dogs, snakes
Plant associations - Dill - I have some put not in plant form Dandelion - I have a whole front yard full, so I will be able to get seeds and plant them and see how it goes in a container:D

WulfcwenStar
May 12th, 2008, 06:40 AM
RavensEye you will find that a lot of plants can be grown in containers

I found this site that may be of interest to you

http://www.kildare.ie/asknetwork/Naomi%20Mills/egyptianbirthsigns.htm

Anubis Correspondences: Flower Foxglove

Foxgloves do need to be in the ground and naturally great care needs to be taken with them as they are poisonous in all parts so the back of a border is best away from little fingers if children are around.
You can collect the seeds and grow them on you will get different colours each time you do this. You will get leaves only the first year and the flowers the second after that they seem to flower each year and will self seed if allowed to do so.
Hope this helps a bit.
I like your list of plants.

SilverClaw
May 12th, 2008, 01:06 PM
RavensEye you will find that a lot of plants can be grown in containers

I found this site that may be of interest to you

http://www.kildare.ie/asknetwork/Naomi%20Mills/egyptianbirthsigns.htm

Anubis Correspondences: Flower – Foxglove

Foxgloves do need to be in the ground and naturally great care needs to be taken with them as they are poisonous in all parts so the back of a border is best away from little fingers if children are around.
You can collect the seeds and grow them on you will get different colours each time you do this. You will get leaves only the first year and the flowers the second after that they seem to flower each year and will self seed if allowed to do so.
Hope this helps a bit.
I like your list of plants.

And Yes I am aware that there are a lot of plants that can be grown in containers because so far that is the only way I have been able to have flowers or herbs. I hope though in the near future though that will be changing.

Also thank you for the link I was having a hard time finding plant associations for him. But at the same time if it is a poisonous plant then that would be out of the question at this time due to my children.

gregoirewitch
May 12th, 2008, 01:24 PM
my goddess is the Morrighan, a death and battle goddess. the herbs and plants associated with her are: nightshade, henbane, blackthorn, and mugwort.
my garden is going to have herbs for many elements: love, protection, re-birth, healing and hopefully banishing. I don't have a special place planned for the toxic, poisonous herbs and plants yet. my 3 year old gets into everything, so, I have to plan accordingly.

WulfcwenStar
May 13th, 2008, 04:45 AM
Hi gregoirewitch

Poisonous plants and children can be difficult to mix. If your garden has a deep border you can put them to the back and put thorny plants in front then your flowering perrenials and ground cover that way it would make it hard for little fingers to get to them.
The garden sounds nice an well balanced I too want to get some areas that will contain what I want. It is fun making new plansd and each year we seem to change something.

SilverClaw
May 21st, 2008, 03:48 PM
For me since I have had many connections with various deities this is what I have come up with.

Bast - Animal association is cat
Plant associations Cat Nip ( which is a herb I grown for teas) and yes I grow them in containers.

Anubius-Animal association - Jackal, Dog
Plant associations -

Hestia - Animal association - Dog, Cats (domesticated animals)
Plant associations -poppy, goldenrod < I have to see if I can still get them locally.

Hecate - Animal association - Dogs, snakes
Plant associations - Dill - I have some put not in plant form Dandelion - I have a whole front yard full, so I will be able to get seeds and plant them and see how it goes in a container:D

I have given this some more thought and thought for now I think it would be more appropriate to focus on Bast - because of the cats that keep coming and hiding in my yard. As well as Hestia because she is the goddess of home .

WulfcwenStar
May 23rd, 2008, 03:36 AM
Sounds like a good plan to me. If cats are hiding in your garden then Bast is obviously making herself known.

SilverClaw
May 23rd, 2008, 03:37 AM
Yep they loved hiding in our broken step during the winter and are still getting into fights with the neighbour dogs to :D The only thing now is I maybe moving to so I am not sure if I am going to be able to set anything up now... but I will see what happens this week :)