PDA

View Full Version : the Goddess Path

lil'BuddhistWitch
July 14th, 2007, 10:12 PM
I've seen many "talks" about the differences between Dianic and those whom just follow The Goddess.

I was wondering what exactly are the differences between those of the Dianic trad (or various others) and those who study and work with The Goddess?

also, many of the resources out there, IMO seem to be aimed at those who wish to follow Dianic Wiccan perspectives. Is there a basic structure aimed towards general Goddess practices or is it developed personally?

How do you see your practice?

(note: this isn't met out of disrespect, just curiosity. please dont chase me... :yikess: ) 8O

Philosophia
July 15th, 2007, 09:16 AM
From here (http://www.mysticwicks.com/showthread.php?t=159210):

Dianic Witchcraft is a path of Goddess Worship, and tends to be more feminist, female orientated.

Here are some particulars on Dianic Witchcraft:
They are:

* Belief in female divinity, most often referred to as "The Goddess."
* Celebration of Celtic holy days.
* An underpinning of feminist ideology.
* A belief that women's bodies are sacred.
* An honoring of women's experience as authentic.
* An understanding that patriarchal society does not accurately reflect women's experience.
* No recognition of male Gods in ritual or elsewhere.
* A belief that only women-born-women truly understand women's experience.
From here (http://www.witchvox.com/va/dt_va.html?a=usxx&c=trads&id=8359).

Goddess worship tends to be a general description for the veneration of a female Goddess or Goddesses. Unlike the Dianic tradition, it can be conservative, non-feminist, and usually not Wiccan.

Here are some more (this is usually for Dianic Wicca but I go by these except for the Wiccan Rede concept):
The Dianic Tradition - Core Beliefs:

* The Dianic tradition is a holistic religious system based on a Goddess-centered cosmology and the primacy of She Who is All and Whole unto Herself.
* The Dianic tradition is a Women's Mysteries ritual tradition that celebrates women's life cycle events.
* The Dianic tradition is celebrated in exclusively women-only circles.
* Dianics honor women's voices, thoughts, and ideas.
* Power is sourced through our wombs (or "womb space, " if a woman has had a hysterectomy).
* Emphasis on the body of woman as manifestation of the Goddess.
* Inspired by the nature and aspects of the Roman goddess Diana (and her predecessor, the Greek goddess Artemis) as a protector of women and wild nature, we are committed to finding positive life-affirming solutions for personal and global problems.
* Dianic ritual and magical practices honor women's creativity, intuition, and ability to improvise (creative inspiration in the moment).
* Spiritual practices are inspired by the awareness that the Goddess has been known throughout time, by many names, and in numerous cultures worldwide.
* Dianics recognize that women's magick is a sacred trust. Therefore, Dianics do not teach our Women's Mysteries and magick to males.
* Sexuality is sacred. When lovers meet in mutual love, trust, and equality, these expressions of love and pleasure are a gift of the Goddess.
* Sacred play as a form of spiritual practice.
* The Dianic tradition is a teaching tradition.
* Adherence to the Wiccan Rede.
* The mythic cycle of the Goddess is celebrated in the earth's seasonal cycles of birth, death, and regeneration, and as it corresponds to women's own life cycle transitions.

From here (http://www.witchvox.com/va/dt_va.html?a=uswi&c=trads&id=8451).

The general Goddess practices tend to be developed personally because Goddess worshiping can encompass a whole range of beliefs.

I see my practice as a Goddess worshiper but I do incorporate a lot of Dianic beliefs. I also have Gods within my path as well.

I hope this answers your questions.

Strawberry Bounce
July 18th, 2007, 01:55 PM
also, many of the resources out there, IMO seem to be aimed at those who wish to follow Dianic Wiccan perspectives. :yikess: 8O

There are very few Dianic resources that I have seen. Most books & sites are aimed at Goddess worshipers in general. Dianics latch on because it is all we have and because it isn't much of a stretch. Shekinah Mountainwater does not identify as a Dianic but many Dianics reccomend "Ariadne's Thread," or call it a Dianic text. I have only read two authors that identify themselves as Dianic(Z Budapest & Ffiona Morgan) and I know of two more that I have yet to read(Jade & Ruth something).

lil'BuddhistWitch
August 24th, 2007, 09:22 PM
now,

thanks for the information.... i kinda drifted for a couple of weeks...

most of the books that are recommended to read are pretty hard to find in my area. there isn't a great lot of resources and the internet is really my only resource... some books I can find at the library but not all...

my question is:

can anyone recommend some good internet sources that are free towards a seeker and can offer honest information that cen be used?

thanks

Sage
August 25th, 2007, 12:05 PM
Is there a basic structure aimed towards general Goddess practices or is it developed personally?

Great question, I have been wondering the same thing. I have read this sub-forum and some of the sites listed as well. A nice place to start, but I was still left with the same question as yours. I have come to the conculsion that there may not be a structured path for Goddess worship pre se. However, if you join a group or coven you might very well find a structured outline of worship and such.

Also having a particular Goddess in mind, might help you with rituals, worship, and interaction ideas to build from. How you view the Goddess will also help you on your search. Personally, I tend to lean heavily towards it being a practice that is developed on a personal level. But I am still forming my thoughts and ideas about it, so don't quote me on that :hahugh:

Sage

EvieLee
August 26th, 2007, 04:31 AM
I understand "Goddess Worship" and/or "Goddess Path" to be very broad terms, a bit like "Paganism". I would think that any path that places emphasis (if not complete then partial) on a Goddess principle could be considered a Goddess Path.

lil'BuddhistWitch
August 27th, 2007, 11:18 AM
Also having a particular Goddess in mind, might help you with rituals, worship, and interaction ideas to build from. How you view the Goddess will also help you on your search. Personally, I tend to lean heavily towards it being a practice that is developed on a personal level. But I am still forming my thoughts and ideas about it, so don't quote me on that

well, right now, I am focused on the Goddesses.. Bridgid, The Morrigan, Hekate, and Cerridwen and just general information on some other aspects of the Goddess...

I'm gathering and looking for general information. I know that The Goddess Path by Patricia Monaghan is a good place to start, but Im looking for more.

I guess my intersts range steeped in Celtic Mythology and a side note towards Greek...
so any resources on any of these Goddesses would be greatly appreciated... I'm browsing now through the Gods & Goddesses forum.... that's a start...

thanks!

on a side note: when I first started into Paganism/Wicca, Hekate seemed to call me, then I found The Morrigan and I sort of left her... I feel mixed up between the two... now that I'm on a Dianic path... finding myself a little more each day...
I know that they are both different Goddesses, but somehow I seem so drawn to both of them.... any thoughts? Bridgid and Cerridwen came along with my once interest in Druidry... i love them both... but they don't have a strong pull as Hekate and The Morrigan...

(sage, i quoted you...:hahugh: hee hee)

Snapdragon
August 29th, 2007, 05:29 PM
on a side note: when I first started into Paganism/Wicca, Hekate seemed to call me, then I found The Morrigan and I sort of left her... I feel mixed up between the two... now that I'm on a Dianic path... finding myself a little more each day...
I know that they are both different Goddesses, but somehow I seem so drawn to both of them.... any thoughts?

It occurs to me that for those who worship the Many, this should present no more problem than it does to have several friends or admire more than one public figure, etc; it's only the monos who have to keep their One And Only always in mind.

Sage
August 29th, 2007, 10:01 PM
Well hello there fella Celtic Spiritualist :wave: I am crazy about Irish Celitc mythology and spirituality these days. At the moment I am very much limited to the net for any resoucres, so I am just reading the myths, taking an online Druid course, and of course using the search engine here at MW. There are also a nice sized amount of MWers who follow a Celtic path, and they have been very helpful via pm and their posts. The G&G forum is a great place to start.

My first thoughts about you being drawn to both, makes me wonder about their common traits, if you will. Do you know of any? May be you could focus on that. Also do you communicate with them? May be list some questions and ask them, just a thought. I had a crazy pull towards The Morrigan (there a quite a bit of MWers that are dedicated to her. There are also some amazing post on here about her as well.) not to long ago, she is amazing. I still have a pull towards her and a newish one towards Dana, but I am taking some time to feel my way around a bit and getting to know me. We have talked about it and all is great.

I know that The Goddess Path by Patricia Monaghan is a good place to start, but Im looking for more.

I know what you mean. Sometimes, I think come on I want to hear your story of how came to the Goddess. Your rituals, worship, and just everyday communication. Details, juicy details. But then I calm down and think, journeying through ones path is the fun part. And just may be if my feelings/thoughts were tainted by anothers experience it wouldn't mine. Um, but if I had read or listened to another's story then that too was apart of my journey on my path, er I think I am having one of these :idea: moments..... but without the lightblub going off. Ummmmmm, then again footnotes are nice for those potholes along the way.

(sage, i quoted you...:hahugh: hee hee)
_wedgie_ ;)

Nitefalle
September 4th, 2007, 04:29 PM
As Sage said, the practices could rely heavily on if you choose to follow a particular culture/pantheon or not. For most eclectics, Wicca can be a good tool as it can give a basic suggestion of how to formulate rituals / spells, and then you can go from there. If you are wanting to focus on a particular pantheon, I would check out the Recon forum for their cultural resources. For Greek gods, you can check out www.theoi.com for myths, histories and (I think) ritual outlines. For Celtic gods, you may want to try the Three Realm system of not-circle-casting and see if that forges a stronger connection. For the Egyptian gods, you might want to ask some Kemetics.

As for being pulled toward Hekate and The Morrigan....you can look into similarities, sure, as those who view gods as archetypes can see the underlying themes and go from there. Or, you can choose to honor them separately, if you are a hard polytheist, and honor them equally, but separately.

PS - Am I the only one who thinks it's odd that Dianic Witchcraft, an eclectic path that is named for a Roman goddess, would honor the Celtic holy days???? That seems pretty random to me and I don't see the connection. :awilly:

CloeOtter
December 13th, 2007, 05:44 PM
PS - Am I the only one who thinks it's odd that Dianic Witchcraft, an eclectic path that is named for a Roman goddess, would honor the Celtic holy days???? That seems pretty random to me and I don't see the connection. :awilly:

I also find it odd, but they are Wiccan inspired path and the Celtic holy days are a basic part of Wiccan practice, right? So that might account for it.

Mithrea
December 14th, 2007, 02:23 AM
I also find it odd, but they are Wiccan inspired path and the Celtic holy days are a basic part of Wiccan practice, right? So that might account for it.

Right, and I don't even think that's true for all Dianics. It's not for me anyway. I like to celebrate with my pagan friends when they celebrate, but the dates that hold the most significance for me aren't associated with the Celtic Wheel of the Year. Mine are mostly feast days for particular Goddesses, such as Artemis and Hecate.

Aidron
December 14th, 2007, 04:02 AM
Right, and I don't even think that's true for all Dianics. It's not for me anyway. I like to celebrate with my pagan friends when they celebrate, but the dates that hold the most significance for me aren't associated with the Celtic Wheel of the Year. Mine are mostly feast days for particular Goddesses, such as Artemis and Hecate.

Not a Dianic, but wanted to point out you're not alone. The Celtic Wheel of the Year holds no importance to me. I celebrate the equinoxes, solstices, Samhain (an exception, but celebrations of the dead occur all over the world and since it occurs at 0 degrees Scorpio I find better time), and days sacred to Hekate. The rest of the sacred days out there can bite me. :razz:

faery_temptress
October 10th, 2008, 05:43 AM
For Celtic gods, you may want to try the Three Realm system of not-circle-casting and see if that forges a stronger connection.

I am drawn to Celtic Pantheon would someone kindly explain the Three Realm system please. Thank you.