PDA

View Full Version : Limits?

Haerfest Leah
July 16th, 2007, 09:16 PM
This is for any type of recon although many here aren't strict recons at all.

What sets your limits in your reconstructed path or religion?

Is it you who sets the limits on what you do or do you conform to how modern recons in your path/religion see things should be done? It is your historical references?

S_Wodening
July 17th, 2007, 08:20 AM
I primariy go by the historical perspective with some modification to account for modern culture. I really do not pay attention to much to what other Heathens think should be done, although I know a good number of folk that also use the historic record to determine how they live their lives.

Haerfest Leah
July 17th, 2007, 09:11 PM
Taking into account history and our current world, I set my own limits. There are way too many who feel what they say and do are the limits or rules and how everyone should honor the old ways . I keep as far from these people as possible, if I wanted someone up my arse shaking a finger toward my practices I'd have stayed in a "controlling" religion.

ap Dafydd
July 18th, 2007, 07:33 AM
I have two rules of my own which I apply to whatever I do religiously.

First one is whether it's compatible with what the Ancestors are known to have done. I'm not slavish, for example I don't feel the need to do blood sacrifices!

Second one is whether it's compatible with known historical/archaeological fact - the kind of thing that rules out sacred potato goddesses and the like!

gwyn eich byd

Ffred

Heart of All
July 19th, 2007, 01:02 AM
I'm brand new, so I haven't worked this all out for myself yet, but so far, I seem to be taking the stories and the facts and everything. But at the same time, even as a Christian I believed in UPG (I was a Christian who didn't believe in hell), so I think my main limit will be if it actually makes sense to me. I want to reconstruct it, but not necessarily so far that if I come across something I don't agree with, I will always go that way.

I hope that makes sense. It's sort of muddled in my head.

Philosophia
July 19th, 2007, 01:28 AM
I think the limits I have within my path is directly related to the circumstances I have (i.e. availability of materials, food, etc.) and my own morals. I'm not a full reconstructionist (I class myself as eclectic even though my practices are strongly rooted in history) but I try to follow specific rituals if I can.

inkywitch
July 19th, 2007, 03:47 AM
I'm fairly new to the idea of reconstruction, however, I'm taking everything in (that is, common practice of others of the path I'm persuing, historical/archaeological fact and my own person experience) and exploring it. If it appeals to my lifestyle, my hope for positive future change and my common sense, thumbs up, if not, it's not useful to me. I'm not sure I would class myself as a strict, or even fully Recon. Not yet, anyway.

Malcolm
August 3rd, 2007, 06:25 PM

simple answer: me

complicated answer: Loki

:hahugh:

Haerfest Leah
August 7th, 2007, 05:41 PM
I think the limits I have within my path is directly related to the circumstances I have (i.e. availability of materials, food, etc.) and my own morals. I'm not a full reconstructionist (I class myself as eclectic even though my practices are strongly rooted in history) but I try to follow specific rituals if I can.

I'm with you there.

simple answer: me

complicated answer: Loki

:hahugh:

lol

Nitefalle
August 8th, 2007, 10:53 AM
Hm, interesting question.....I'm a Recon in the sense that I know what time and culture things come from, but if I choose to mix them then I don't think that's a bad thing and the gods have not given me any indication that it's bad, either. For instance, this past Imbolc a friend of mine and myself conducted a ritual that honored six separate Celtic goddesses, as we follow a Celtic path. However, I have a close relationship with Frigga, and so I knowingly chose to include her despite the fact that she is Germanic. We also mixed Irish, Welsh and Gallic goddesses. I know that they come from different cultures / tribes, but I feel that as long as I recognize that fact and honor them respectively, it's okay. I'm not trying to lump them all together and say they were all worshipped pan-Celtic-ally or anything like that.

Other than that, in the face of lack of historical evidence I try and get a feel for the larger themes that may have been important to Celtic peoples, such as a strong belief in an immanent Otherworld, hospitality, honor & duty. These are all ideals I try and live my life by and I feel that I walk an authentic Celtic path because of that.

LadyWinter
August 8th, 2007, 02:48 PM
I try to stick as closely as possible to maintain historical accuracy....Something I need to work on is not being so slavish to Recon.......

Meh...lost my train of thought there.....maybe I will be back :viking:

Winter

Seren_
August 8th, 2007, 03:33 PM
This is for any type of recon although many here aren't strict recons at all.

Is it you who sets the limits on what you do or do you conform to how modern recons in your path/religion see things should be done? It is your historical references?

I think more than anything I set the limits. I do things with historical accuracy in mind, but I'm not such a stickler as I used to be...I try to do things with historicity in mind but these days I've found that by relaxing on that front I get more out of what I do. For example, I get the impression that the goddess to Whom I'm in the process of dedicating myself to likes Southern Comfort and chocolate fudge cake for libations/offerings. It's not historically accurate - whisky, milk, oatcakes or porridge would be more authentic, but on things like this I'll go with my UPG. Although on festival days I'll leave more authentic offerings because of their significance.

I look at what other recons do but generally do things to my own taste.

Morr
August 8th, 2007, 03:38 PM
I think more than anything I set the limits. I do things with historical accuracy in mind, but I'm not such a stickler as I used to be...I try to do things with historicity in mind but these days I've found that by relaxing on that front I get more out of what I do. For example, I get the impression that the goddess to Whom I'm in the process of dedicating myself to likes Southern Comfort and chocolate fudge cake for libations/offerings. It's not historically accurate - whisky, milk, oatcakes or porridge would be more authentic, but on things like this I'll go with my UPG. Although on festval days I'll leave more authentic offerings because of their significance.

I look at what other recons do but generally do things to my own taste.

Yup, me too.

I go by UPG along with historical accuracy and find a middle ground. So what if what I do is not 100% as accurate as I could make it? What matters is that it feels right, that I am spiritually fulfilled and that my Gods are happy.