PDA

View Full Version : Lugh rituals!

Autumn-Forest
July 17th, 2007, 10:44 AM
Just wondering what everyone is doing for Lammas. :)

be well,
Autumn

Nitefalle
July 17th, 2007, 06:48 PM
We are keeping it simple....we are drying ears of corn in the sun ahead of time to soak up the last powers of the sun before Autumn, then we are going to toss them in the Lammas fire, as a sign of thanks and to release any last spurts of energy we need in our lives. We are going to have a toasting session, do some divination and that's about it. We're keeping it really simple and letting it flow.

Oh yes, and we are honoring Lugh and Aine for our ritual.

Autumn-Forest
July 19th, 2007, 09:59 AM
That sounds really good. Simple is always good. :)
Keep them coming, I know more than one person has plans for a Lammas ritual!

be well,
Autumn

skilly-nilly
July 19th, 2007, 11:12 AM
When I see it, Lammas always looks like 'llamas' to me, and then I go off on the Monty Python riff (in the Holy Grail?) about llamas.

For Lugh's Day, we in my grove (I am an ADF member) are going to invoke Bridget as well as Lugh. I see the year as a circle, and Bridget faces Lugh across it so that's what works for me.

I'm definitely going to use grain in the offering; perhaps as a wreath or if I can manage it as a traditional Lughnasa Mask (which I've been unsuccessful at finding a photo to point to).

I always use cream for Bridget, sometimes in the amplified form of chocolate or Bailey's.

I like corn as well--maybe some ears of corn for the Nature Spirits.....

Autumn-Forest
August 1st, 2007, 06:43 PM
So what are the rest of you doing, today? :)

I haven't figured up an offical ritual, yet!!

be well,
Autumn

maelstrom
August 7th, 2007, 02:36 PM
A little after the fact, I know, but I would like to share what I did this Lughnassa.

First, I'm a solitary practitioner who sometimes has a hard time remembering to honor the Sabbats, so I was very proud of myself for remembering to observe Lughnassa.

It was really, really hot here in the Valley, so instead of baking, which would have made my house a million degrees, I went out and bought a really nice loaf of garlic cheese bread from our local bakery, and blessed it. I tore a piece of the bread and laid it on my pentragram platter on my altar, and filled a chalice with beer and set that out also. I then proceeded to have a private little feast of garden tomatos and the bread, along with some locally brewed beer.

After that I laid out my altar with a spread of Tarot cards. I'm at work now, so I don't have access to what I laid out. I'll post that later. I then wrote down my regrets of the year before on a piece of paper, and tied it with orange ribbon and laid it on the altar. I took another piece of paper and wrote my hopes for the future, tied that also with orange ribbon, and laid it opposite from the other. I then lit my God and Goddess candle, asked for the presence of the Lord and Lady and meditated at my altar.

I let the altar sit for a few days, then burried the bread and regrets as libations and poured the beer over the spot where I buried the rest. Tonight I'll burn the hopes on an orange candle to release their energy.

Any comments at all on my ritual would be helpful. I kind of make them up as I go, since I have never been initiated into a tradition. Thanks.

:cheers:

~Owl~
August 7th, 2007, 02:51 PM
Well...

This is the ONLY "High" Sabbat that I generally keep toned down.
I celebrate with a ritual of homeabread, and mead the Eve before, and on Aug 1st, I make a platter of grains, nuts, seeds, etc. for the birds and other wildlife, to celebrate with me.

Just as with Yule. I ABHOR the though of cutting a live tree.

Therefore, as I'm lucky enough to live in Oregon, on the coast, I have a huge pine tree on my property, that since I've used it for Yule celebrations, it's grown 3x as healthy.

I ornate the tree with berries, (cranberries, blueberries, etc.), by stringing them together, along with popcorn, and all the decorations, are organic and edible.

Again, this way, the birds, (as I'm an Avian totem/therian myself) and other wildlife may share in the celebration.

Usually, for the "lesser" Sabbats, the equinoxes and the solstices, or "Cross Quarters", I tend to keep the ritual farily toned down.

On the "high holidays", eg., Oimelc, Beltane, Lugh's Day/Lammas, and Yule, I will usually spice things up a bit more.

Amythyst
August 7th, 2007, 03:11 PM
I just found this thread-- late, wouldn't you know-- but for future reference I'm copying and pasting a Lammas ritual that I originally posted in a blog at The Goddess Grove...an online circle for women only that I created at Myspace...

Time: August 1

Items needed:

The regular ritual tools, plus a yellow or orange candle in the cauldron, and a plate of bread. The cauldron is set in the center of the altar, with the plate of bread beside it. Autumn leaves and flowers can be used for decoration. Incense-- an herbal scent.

History:

This Celtic holy day was one of the four Great Sabbats. The later Saxon word for this festival was Lammas (loaf mass). Another name is Lunasa. In the northern regions, this was the time of harvest, while to areas farther south this day was one of two harvest festivals, the other being Autumn Equinox in September.

Cast a circle.

After creating the circle, breathe deeply for a few minutes. Concentrate on the cleansing power that you draw into your body. As you exhale, concentrate on expelling all negatives from your life.

When you are ready, light the cauldron candle and say:

"This candle represents the harvest within my life. Those goals I have worked on this year are now nearing completion. I accept the harvest of all those that work to my good, and reject any harvest of those that would work against me. I prepare myself-- body, mind, and soul-- for the time of winter and rest."

Set the chalice of wine on the pentacle. Take the dagger and gently touch the tip to the wine/juice saying:

"As this athame is the male, so this cup is the female, and joined they bring blessings."

Raise the chalice high over the altar and say:

"To the Old Ones! Merry meet and merry part and merry meet again! Blessed be!"

Lift the plate of bread high over the altar. Set it down and briefly raise the chalice of juice. Say:

"Every seed of grain, every fruit, is imprinted with a record of ancient times and a promise of all that will come. This bread and this juice are symbols of life eternal through the regenerating cauldron of the Goddess."

Eat a piece of the bread and drink some of the juice. Save some of both for the nature spirits. Say:

"As in the bread and wine, so it is within me. The grain that made this bread carries with it the imprint of every grain that has grown upon this earth. The fruit that produced this juice (wine) holds within itself the history of every fruit that ever grew. The Mysteries of ancient times and all my ancestors are imprinted upon my soul. May the coming season of waning light and increasing darkness not be heavy for me. Let the approaching dark days be ones of resting, planning, waiting, until once more the Godess and the God open the doors to new beginnings. I am blessed, guided, and loved by the Old Ones. Blessed be!"

(Now is the time for any spell working you wish to do.)

When the complete ritual is finished, take your dagger in your power hand and the candle snuffer in the other.

Close the circle.

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i19/Amythyst1/797a.jpg

~Owl~
August 7th, 2007, 03:42 PM
Your Chalice resembles mine. (the shape) Mine is stone/ceramic, glazed with a mixed dark earth tones, that was given to me by my Teacher upon my formal Dedication in '85. I still use it to this day, with great reverence. Someday, I'll post a pic of my altar...someday.

maelstrom
August 9th, 2007, 02:44 PM
So, here's the update on the cards I used in the altar spread.

It was a double triangle. The outer triangle was the Three of Discs in the lower left, the Six of Wands in the lower right, and the Nine of Cups at the pinnacle.

The inner triangle is The Hanged Man in the lower left, The Tower next to it, and The Sun at the pentacle. My athame was laid with The Hanged Man and The Tower flanking the hilt and The Sun at the tip, with the blade lying over the Nine of Cups. The point of the blade is pointing up towards a raven crown. Yup.

I should get a digital camera so I can share what my altars look like.