PDA

View Full Version : Hillary Clinton: Sure, I'd work for minimum wage

Trithemius
July 24th, 2007, 08:08 AM
This was part of the CNN-YouTube Democratic Debate.

When was the last time a presidential candidate was forced to promise to work at minimum wage? That is effectively what happened when a voter asked whether the candidates would serve four years at $5.85 an hour rather than the president's annual $400,000 salary.

"Sure," replied Clinton.

:rollingla :rollingla :rollingla :rollingla :rollingla :rollingla :rollingla :rollingla :rollingla :rollingla :rollingla :rollingla :rollingla :rollingla :rollingla :rollingla :rollingla :rollingla

I needed a good laugh.

SSanf
July 24th, 2007, 08:11 AM
She might work for it to prove a point. But the question is would she live on it for an extended period of time?

Windygo
July 24th, 2007, 08:37 AM
I was taught that most presidents don't even live off their salary; that it's just a nice bonus, but the money they live off of is what got them the office; even then, the necessities are pretty much provided, not to mention the luxuries.

Laisrean
July 24th, 2007, 09:35 AM
She already has millions. Pretty much any serious contender for president throughout history has been wealthy from the start, otherwise he/she couldn't be a serious contender.

Secondly, a president makes a crap load of money by being in the pockets of big business and making money from other less noble methods.

The 400,000 dollar a year salary of the president is trivial compared to the amount they make otherwise.

aranarose
July 24th, 2007, 10:31 AM
The presidential salary is pocket change for them. Working it at minimum wage, or even declining the salary altogether, would mean nothing. Their expenses are not taken out of the salary, they are given in addition to the salary.

Hillary, having been married to a two-term president, would know this more intimately than any other candidate.

Laisrean
July 24th, 2007, 10:37 AM
There are many who would do her one better and take on the job of president for FREE.

Heck, many people spend millions from their OWN pockets trying to get that job. Look at all the money Ross Perot spent... He wouldn't have gotten that back from a salary of $400,000 (actually $200,000 back then).

imapepper
July 24th, 2007, 01:20 PM
Well yeah, I'd work for minimum wage too if I was a millionaire. Lame.

:noway: