PDA

View Full Version : The tree calendar

widukind
May 20th, 2002, 07:29 AM
I'm currently reading 'New Celtic Oracle' by Nigels Pennick and Jackson. In that book, the 20 Ogham letters are discussed at length, their divinatory meaning, their colours, birds, animals, etc. and the five extra cards that have no Ogham sign: White Roebuck, Sword of Nuada, Cauldron of the Dagda, Spear of Lugh and the Stone of Destiny.

Also discussed is the thirteenfold year, 12 lunar months plus 1 single day (dec 23rd). I was wondering, do any of you use that calendar, or do you focus on the eight Sabbaths?

nicanfhilidh
May 20th, 2002, 06:10 PM
I'm not familiar with that particular book, although I have read other books by Nigel Pennick. Generally speaking, though, I can tell you that the tree calendar idea is a contemporary one dreamed up by the poet Robert Graves; IMO it's a nice idea in keeping with the Celtic spirit and a workable system, I'm told. For an interesting essay on the only known historically Celtic calendar, take a look at http://technovate.org/web/coligny.htm . It contains a lot of speculation but the author makes this clear.

As for what calendar I personally keep: I keep the standard neo-pagan calendar, minus the lunar observances. I refer to Samhain, Imbolg, Beltaine and Lughnasadh as the "Fire Festivals" or "High Days"; and the solstice/equinox -es as the "cross-quarter days." I do not call any of my celebrations "sabbats." On the cross-quarter days I often honor Norse/Germanic deities rather than Celtic ones, because the solar festivals are more closely associated with those cultures than the Celtic and because I like to acknowledge my Germanic/Norse ancestors. In the "Druid" world at large this is probably not a common way to celebrate, but it's not uncommon at all for those who follow my particular path.

Hope this helps, if only a little ...

widukind
May 21st, 2002, 05:48 AM
Yes, thanks a bunch !