PDA

View Full Version : Creating your own way of worship

LadyWillow
August 5th, 2007, 05:01 PM
The Dianic path interests me, but I haven't been the one to really get too much into full blown ritual. I haven't step foot into a circle in ages. I'm assuming since, Dianics are Wiccan, circles are part of their celebrations as well. I'm rambling,lol.

My point is, I've seen around here a few times about creating your own way of doing things, simply kind of creating a path of your own. I'm curious, who has done this, and what have you done to really make your way of worship, unique and suited to your needs? I'm toying w/ the idea of really stepping into a different role, kind of building what I believe upon and creating a unique way to worship myself.

EvieLee
August 5th, 2007, 09:43 PM
Firstly, I'm Dianic but not Wicca, however I do include circles in my practice because that was the format I was taught.

Where my practice would be different from others would be that while I do include circle, I don't do the whole Wiccan format. There's not walking around in a circle with an athame, or quarter calling with elementals, or altar layout. It's all very spontaneous. I open myself up to Goddess in my space, do what I came there to do, have a little sit and a chat, and then say goodbye.

I think the changing point for me was when I said to myself "why are you following someone elses directions when you know perfectly well what you're doing?" Acknowledging that I'm my own authority freed me to go my own way with just as much legitimacy as if I were following the Wiccan format.

I include things in my daily practices that I feel are special and significant to me (prayer and use of my rosaries). I think that's really the bottom line - do what's comfortable to your own senses. And I enjoy the idea of encouraging that individuality and spontaneity in Goddess paths (and other paths naturally).

Look at that, I'm babbling too. 8O

LadyWillow
August 5th, 2007, 11:28 PM
Babblers unite! haha.

Thanks for your reply. You are right, there doesn't have to be a hardcore format. I'm just not big on circles and doing rituals this way. I'm more of a 'relaxed' kind of practitioner I guess you could say. More flax and less strict with what I do.

So, looks like I'm going to be making my own way! :)

~water_lilly~
September 29th, 2007, 10:50 PM
I make my own way. I'm not Dianic ut do worship the Goddess in the way that feels right to me.

Shanti
September 29th, 2007, 10:55 PM
Done your own way will have your heart, your passion, your creativity, and your self placed into it. How could anything be better than the true you?

Terra Mater
September 30th, 2007, 01:25 AM
The Dianic path interests me, but I haven't been the one to really get too much into full blown ritual. I haven't step foot into a circle in ages. I'm assuming since, Dianics are Wiccan, circles are part of their celebrations as well. I'm rambling,lol.

My point is, I've seen around here a few times about creating your own way of doing things, simply kind of creating a path of your own. I'm curious, who has done this, and what have you done to really make your way of worship, unique and suited to your needs? I'm toying w/ the idea of really stepping into a different role, kind of building what I believe upon and creating a unique way to worship myself.
I am not reading the other responses before I write this so that my answer is just that, my answer. Take from it what you will, I hope it helps.

There are pros and cons to making your own. Making your own way is a pretty lonely way to practice, but you may just need something to hold you over until you find a good group. A writer friend of mine calls it "Seeking".

Seeking can be a path unto itself. Some people are seeking knowledge, fellowship, or just a connection they aren't getting elsewhere. Seekers aren't always beginners, you get some old crones on vacation from their normal ways because they are seeking either solitude or just smaller groups.

You have two basic types of Seeker, and many Seekers try their hands at both. Type A's are "going solo" and Type B's are"pathmakers". When I was a Seeker she suggested I ask myself the following:

Do you want a path that is literally just yours, or is there a chance you might want to pass on what you learned to your children? Obviously, if you plan to pass it on, you will want to keep more detailed notes. Try to answer the unanswered questions you have that led you Seeking.
Do you plan to practice alone for the rest of your life? If not, keep track of where you get the ideas for the different practices you incorporate into your personal path. Always give honest credit where credit is due for the lessons taught to you.
Do you really want a path you are tied to by "blood"? If so, please take the time to do your own geneology a generation or two back and pick one of the many fine trads you are tied to. The Celts and the Gypsies get most of the good press, but they aren't the only magical trads out there. It doesn't matter how mixed your bloodline is, you got magical ties in there through and blood you got.
If you forging your own way, name the path for yourself, then give it a little FLASH. Let me use myself for an example. I am Terra Mater, an Earth Mother of the Magic de Mater Tradition. I studied from a Kitchen Witch of the Peanut Butter and Jelly Tradition. Simple English Translation: Kitchen Witch with children and spouse. :broomrideNow of course, my friend and I are the over the top types. Write every detail down before we do a ritual, copy of each ritual that we draft and don't use into one book, spells in another. Filled a crate of them already (kids are teens and a preteen), couple of decades worth of stuff. The kids practice, one of them also goes to church from time to time. So each year we fill up more pages. Some of it's silly, but what started out as my Seeking evolved into a family tradition.

You never know where the path is going to take you, but you can have a lot of fun as you wander it.:abanana:

LadyWillow
September 30th, 2007, 01:45 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone. Thanks for the questions Terra, it definitely gives me something more to think about.

Snapdragon
September 30th, 2007, 01:45 AM
This is a good question; I'm glad to see it.

First of all, I regard the religious search as being between the individual and the sacred--the gods, if you will. I am not impressed by Authority, hierarchy, badges of office, etc.

That said, I think there's value in recognizing that "my path" shares with others, because we share a world. My life is not hermetically sealed off from that of all others, nor are their lives closed off from mine; perhaps if we took that realization a bit more to heart, there'd be less willingness to pollute the world, e.g.

But not to stray--we are in fact twined together, in this creative dance of Difference that some call the Lady and the Lord. Being Dianic, I have come to think of Creative Difference (with or without capital letters) as the dynamic tension or action in creative worship.

Since I only worship Kali--though I acknowledge all other gods--I give Her my blood, as that is specific to Her. I worship Her on dark moons and on Samhain. I put my blood on Her tongue, and include yoni worship in my observances. I always cast a circle (I am Wiccan), call the quarters and invoke the Guardians. I cast the circle widdershins, since Kali is a "dark goddess," and I both open the circle the same direction. I always worship skyclad, and always at night.

These are things that I have developed--or "have come to me"--incrementally, not from any book, but from my own meditations and feeling. I'm not a Hindu, so I don't worry about whether my puja (ritual worship) meets the grade according to the Vedas, the touts, or any priest/ess. I couldn't care less.

So you see, it's a matter of listening to the intimations of one's own heart, also keeping in mind that we all do worship together, through the shared current that is nature and life, and in that realization, there is respect for other Ways and the Difference that is the "engine" of existence.

I don't fuss about tools and the like; I have some, but am casual about them. I usually do say "I consecrate this to my purpose" when approaching or worshipping at the altar, but surely do not flinch or feel I've transgressed if I forget or just don't feel like it.

I hope that helps.

BenSt
September 30th, 2007, 02:58 AM
I think that creating your own way of worshipping or honouring can be a very powerful part of your spirituality. However theres a fine line between co-opting and creating. Creating would support the idea of developing your own, internalized way of doing something... co-opting would suggest taking a specific God from a specific culture and trying to worship that God in a ritual style soo foreign to that God's native tradition that it breaches the line between imperialism and reconstruction.

When someone gets to the point where they do not need a ritual way of worshipping, I think thats the point where rigid lines between traditions cease to be and you can truly see the similarities in most traditions.

You have to be careful though... because if you are taking a Goddess or a God out of a specific time and place and tradition... and creating your own way of worship... what parts are necessary and what parts are not?

As a Hindu... I worship my Gods in a specific way. This certain way I have learned and adopted. After much study, I came to the point where I knew I didn't necessarily need certain elements of the ritual or worship practice to make it relevant to me.

However, at the same time... since Gods IN HINDUISM, come from specific traditions... that are not found in other religions (for example, Kali is NOT a Wiccan Goddess, nor is Shiva a Wiccan God)... it is to me, disrespectful to create worship for a specific God in a contextualized worship style not native to the tradition that that God is found in. So to assume and worship a God from say Hinduism, or Greece, or Babylonia... or Egypt etc,. in a way based upon assumptions and misunderstanding of the nature of that God... would be co-opting, and in my view disrespectful to that God.

To develop a way completly non attached to any tradition... say lighting a simple candle in front of an image... something not bound by strict rules or set to a certain layout of ritual style...I think is a decision up to the individual. Non tradition based ritual or worship practices developed by the individual... can be very empowering becasue as Shanti said, what better way is there than the spirit doing something that it has created?

Vigdisdotter
September 30th, 2007, 05:13 AM

<raises hand> Not Dianic or Wiccan, but I am creating my own path. I think it's a wonderful way to personalize one's spiritual practice if you find that establish traditions just don't connect for you. After all, there is no one-size-fits-all path out there.

That said, there is a BIG difference between "doing what feels right" and being a sloppy/lazy eclectic. Making your own path takes a LOT of consideration and work. Sure you can base it on other ways of doing things, but at some point it's a really good ideas to sit down and right out what you DO and the whys of it, along with your particular belief set.

My rule of thumb is: it's in good shape when you can explain what makes it YOUR path (rather then some other) over coffee.

Also, it's a really good idea to give your new creation the honor of it's own name, both as a way of identifying to others and also to avoid confusion with beliefs/practices that may have no part in your path.

Over all, I say go for. Just realize that this while likely take more then a few years to really hammer out....if at all. One could argue that the process is a life long one.

Philosophia
September 30th, 2007, 08:07 AM

Just a little point, not all Dianics are Wiccan. In fact, a know a lot who are just plain witches.

I don't really want to add anymore because everybody has said it perfectly. Follow your heart but also listen to your head. Research everything and anything, but always take it with a grain of salt. If you ever feel uncomfortable, stop and ask yourself why.

:hugz:

Terra Mater
September 30th, 2007, 10:52 AM
Glad I could help.

LadyWillow
October 10th, 2007, 02:27 PM
Thanks everyone. Once again, everyone has brought up some really nice points to really touch on and to think about when I actually have the time,lol.

CloeOtter
December 13th, 2007, 06:57 PM
Greetings Ladies,

I know this thread is probably done for LadyWillow, but as I did not want to start a similar thread I thought I just post here. hope thats okay....

I have been having to create my own path almost from the beginning. I really was very happy and relieved to find goddess, pagans, and witchcraft. I tried and kind of made peace with myself with the few areas of Wicca that did not mesh well for me mostly the high ceremonial parts of the path, like the way circle is cast, the belief of duality in the deities and all things. As I researched I found there were more cosmologies and ways of thinking. But I still like many aspects of wytchcraft. I spell it a bit differently as a way to distinguish things for myself, I am not a Wiccan. In a few other areas here I have share some of the path I have blended together so far.

When I found Celtic Spirituality and druid paths I was able to create circle casting that I feel is more natural with the triple realms: land, sea, & sky. I adopted the Triskele as a symbol of my path and a way of reminding myself to think in threes. I do not always cast circle, I like to work spirals, other Celtic and pre-Celtic symbols, the ogham, and many nature symbols in my path. From the Faery paths I drop the use of metals & the Athame which I wanted to do from the beginning. These paths help me know that my intuition & feeling on how I wanted to practice was not totally out there, they just had not been mixed/blended together till I did it. There is more but I feel I have said enough for now...With these changes and the goddess I feel love, more whole, connected, and stronger in my path and life.

I guess I just wanted to share a created path. That it is a very evolving process to create a path or tradition and can be done if you trust your instincts when things just do not quite fit. I am still fine tuning, but feel more comfortable and happy in what I have so far. :)

I wounder if any of you who are on a Celtic/Druid influence path have tried to use/work with the Triple Realms???

LadyWillow
December 16th, 2007, 05:55 AM
This is why I love Paganism as a whole. Everyone can create their own ways of worship and not feel bad about it. We really don't have structure. I'm glad you were successful at crafting your own path.