PDA

View Full Version : I have a question

MammaStar
May 22nd, 2002, 03:38 PM
In the thread talking about what kind of crafts we do, I mentioned i dabble in making candles and soaps. Real basic kind of stuff.

I just found out, that I'll probably have an opportunity to sell some stuff this summer. :D

My question, and it's probably a "duh" kind of one.....the place where I'll get to sell my stuff will be outside. It wont' be a "formal" craft show or anything so there won't be any kind of tent thing. What would you all suggest to keep the candles & soaps from melting? Is there anything I can do.

I use the the "gel" kind of candles and gylicerin soaps. Haven't gotten all that fancy....yet.

Is there anything I can do, or do I just have to grin and bear it?

Lavender
May 23rd, 2002, 01:20 AM
What about setting up one of those huge umbrellas they use for patio tables? The kind with the heavy duty water filled base to keep it from tipping over?

And you can keep most of your stuff under the table in a cooler & set up a display to show people the candles & such.

MammaStar
May 23rd, 2002, 11:59 PM
Don't know if the umbrella will be an option. Have to talk to my friend. HOWEVER, thanks for the cooler idea!!!! I'm definitely going to do that one!!! Thanks Wildchild!

Lavender
May 24th, 2002, 12:55 AM
:D You can tell your friend that having the umbrella there as shade would also encourage customers to linger longer by your table! :)

flar7
May 24th, 2002, 01:05 AM
set up a tent or large tarp for shade. use ice chest too.
the shade will make you a popular place on sunny days!

Ravensnest
May 24th, 2002, 01:46 AM
I do outdoor craft shows and festivals selling candles, soaps and hand dipped incense.. goodies that don't like the heat or sun. I was just looking through an ad paper on Sunday from Target or Kmart I can't remember but, one of them had an ad for a 12x12 canopy for $10. It would be enough to keep the rain off and some well placed scarves on the back and sides would go far in keeping the sun out. You might check into that and definitely put out a few items for display but keep most under the table and out of the sun! Congratulations and GOOD LUCK!!
Dottie
Ravens Nest Incense & Oils
http://ravensnestincense.com

Faery-Wings
May 24th, 2002, 08:21 AM
Congrats Starlite! I hope you do well. Where are you going to be selling? Maybe if it close enough, I'll come by!

I put basil and cinnamon in my cash box and annointed it with prosperity oil at the Mother's Mkt I sold stuff at. And I did much better than I had hoped. Try that too. :)

MammaStar
May 24th, 2002, 09:17 AM
Okay, here's the deal. Tent & other "shade" cover for this particular event is NOT an option. Why??? Cause I'll be VENDING AT A "DEAD" show and you do it out of you're car!!!!!! :lol:

However, I am working on a few craft shows here, close to my house in which I will be using the tent. I used to do "tabling" for an environmental organization and I bought this HUGE canopy thingy just for that purpose.

If I get a regular craft show here in NY, I'll be sure to tell you Chryssi. because after all, anything near my house is close to you! :D

Lavender
May 24th, 2002, 12:30 PM
:lol: Ok, no tents, no umbrellas. :D We'll have to come up with another creative way to keep your stuff cool.

Old Witch
May 24th, 2002, 12:33 PM
What about those gel-pack coolie thingies (getting technical here) for that cooler??

MammaStar
May 24th, 2002, 11:54 PM
Yeah, I'm definitely gonna use the cooler thing. Have a few out for display & the rest in the cooler by the car. :D