PDA

View Full Version : Rune Charms for fertility AND childbirth

Danustouch
May 24th, 2002, 11:42 AM
These are some Runes you may wish to add to mojo bags or spell work, for Fertility Rituals, or Rituals prior to Childbirth.

http://www.paganparenting.net/information/pregnancy/pregrune.html

Myst
May 24th, 2002, 11:44 AM
I wonder if Rick can pick out each rune in each bindrune, I'd be interested to know what runes were used in each, and the only one I can pick out easily is berkana :D

Danustouch
May 24th, 2002, 11:56 AM
Heh..guess I need to brush up on my rune lore. Sorry Rick, I'll start reading up..promise!

Emy
May 24th, 2002, 01:42 PM
well, being no expert on runes I still guess I could sort of pick a few more out, that is if runes that are turned upside down etc counts.

Well anyways, I can rather easily see Odal, which makes sense since it is sort of a "family rune"... If you want to you can also find Thurs (courage and change...) and perhaps also Raidu (order, structure, movement, protection). Kauna can also be found, Kauna stands for light and energy and creativity. You can also find Gifu standing for harmony and balance. Wynja can also be found if you like I've done here with all of thease runes look really hard (wynja stands for luck, peace and love). You may also find Iss (stillness, calmness...) and Algiz (standing for protection)

Now some of thease runes make out sort of the same pattern if you bind them like they've done here, so I have know idea which ones they really consist of, and I am sure I've missed a few aswell, I know for sure that I've missed at least one in the fertility charm... :)

However hopefully Rick will enlighten us here and tell us more on which runes the charms really consists of (not just guess like I've done here) :)

Blessings

Lavender
May 24th, 2002, 01:59 PM
Hehe! I don't think we see Rick in here all that often. Someone may have to go wake him up.

The third one is easy...three Berkanaos in a row.

In the second one, I see Othila, gebo (gift).

Argh! My eys hurt from staring at the screen. Here's a link to the rune symbols if anyone wants to give this a try.

http://members.aol.com/JehanaS/futhark/

Emy
May 24th, 2002, 03:35 PM
Well, I don't know the rules for making bindrunes, but if it is allowed to use two runes to make partly the same pattern and if one is allowed to turn runes up side down or reverse them or sort of adjust the runes sizes to each other to make a "better" pattern, I guess I could say this...

nr 1: Fertility... Definitly Algiz, upside down, which to me makes sense too if I consider the runes meaning... And then there could be Thurs both reversed and "normal". And the top could be Wunju both reversed and normal. :) It might be Kauna though... not sure there. Now those "arms" that are sticking out (to me this looks like a little figure, with two heads on top of each other) I just can't figure out and it drives me crazy...

Well moving on nr 2: We've got (if my theory is correct) Odal at the top, and if you wish you can also see gifu there in the middle, I guess it could be a reversed Berkana in it too, or perhaps Eiwaz to make the bottom left part... and/or it could also include Iss, and I think that it should be Raido there to in the R shape on the right.

Back to number one... the two heads, as I call them could also be made with Ansuz and Fehu... And then there is Ing, which of course also could be the two heads... The top of the first head (the one on the top) could be teiwaz...

The more I look on them the more runes I can make fit in... I have know idea though on which runes was intended. However one can guess some from knowing what thease charms are for. Some runes of the ones I've mentioned seems more natural as a choice than others, at least to me.

:)

Emy
May 24th, 2002, 03:37 PM
Oh I forgot to say...

Kauna Kenaz or whatever you call it can also be seen in the charm, and that seems logical to me anyway...

Silver Venus
May 29th, 2002, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by Wildchild
Hehe! I don't think we see Rick in here all that often. Someone may have to go wake him up.

http://members.aol.com/JehanaS/futhark/

Ill go and wake him up cos we are about to start a discussion on Berkana in Divination..
Also Ive heard that the rune Perthro is great for easing pain during childbrith ~ Im going to draw it on a piece of rose quartz and take this to labour with me # heres a link to our discussions on it..
http://www.mysticwicks.com/showthread.php?threadid=12601&highlight=perthro

:)

Rick
May 30th, 2002, 12:04 AM
mumble... wake a fella up... grumble...

OK, I emailed the author of the site (or article, or whatever), & asked her some very direct & to-the-point questions... her response was very vague & evasive... well, except that she said that she didn't come up with these BindRunes herself; that they are ancient, & she copied them from somewhere else (& if she cited a source on the site, I didn't see it). Bottom line, she couldn't explain the 'technical' workings of any of them, or what Runes they contained... <cough phony cough>

The 'fertility' charm (considering Runes pertaining to fertility) contains: two Berkana's, back to back; to Fehu's, back to back; two Ingaz's, one above the other; three Tiwaz's, one stacked above the other; & two stacked Othila's. The inverted Algiz may represent that Rune, or it may represent the Rune Yr (yew tree) of the Younger Futhark or Calc (chalice, vessel, container) of the Anglo-Saxon Futhark (same shape, different names & meanings). It also may represent male genitilia (as Algiz can be used to represent female genitilia, Berkana represents breasts, etc). The Rune that looks like an Othila with 'feet' is from the Anglo-Saxon Futhark & is called Erda (Earth, Mother Earth, Earth Goddess). This charm could also contain Sowulo's, Gebo's, Thurisaz's, Ansuz's, Raido's, Wunjo's, Isa's, Nauthiz's, Uruz's (if you squint just so... :D ) ,& yes, Emy, I counted a dozen Kenaz's... but I believe at least most of these others are incidental...

In my humble opinion, this is a very powerful BindRune.

The 'easy pregnancy & childbirth' charm looks pretty straightforward... a Berkana backed onto a Raido... Berkana is the traditional Rune of childbirth. Raido's role is to insure the child a 'safe journey' into this world, & a 'safe journey' for the mother through pregnancy & labor. Wunjo might be there, bringing happiness to this 'blessed event' (Wunjo also represents the banner (or flag) of your clan, or family, or people).

The last charm is pretty self-explanatory, I believe...

*Note- In making BindRunes, you can turn the Runes backward, forwards, sideways, etc, to make the 'connections'...

Silver Venus
May 30th, 2002, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by Rick
mumble... wake a fella up... grumble...

The 'easy pregnancy & childbirth' charm looks pretty straightforward... a Berkana backed onto a Raido... Berkana is the traditional Rune of childbirth. Raido's role is to insure the child a 'safe journey' into this world, & a 'safe journey' for the mother through pregnancy & labor. Wunjo might be there, bringing happiness to this 'blessed event' (Wunjo also represents the banner (or flag) of your clan, or family, or people).

:boing: thanks soo much Ricky! Your the best! We knew youd save the day!

Just one more question from lil old me ~ should I draw this on my belly or on a charm 8O I guess I could do both?

Danustouch
May 30th, 2002, 08:26 AM
Thanks Rick! That was terriffic. Thanks for going to all of the trouble.

Silver Venus- That is a great question. While looking at some articles about rituals of motherhood, I saw a picture of a woman who did henna desighns on her belly while she was pregnant. Wouldn't it be cool to incorporate both???? Drawing the runes on your belly with Henna? Of course, if you were to do this, a midwife might understand..but you might freak a regular doctor out..heheheh.

Silver Venus
May 30th, 2002, 09:30 AM
O I love henna designs, I never thought of using henna! Thanks so much Danus!

I was thinking more along the lines of incorportaing it into a ritual for the new moon, with paint or honey where I could wash it off afterwards.. but henna would be great!
Maybe I could make it quite small then they wont be too scared when I go into labour! :T

Rick
May 30th, 2002, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by Silver Venus

:boing: thanks soo much Ricky! Your the best! We knew youd save the day!
Aw, gawrsh... <blush> all I did is what I do best... show off... :cool: 8O

Just one more question from lil old me ~ should I draw this on my belly or on a charm 8O I guess I could do both?
Don't see why you can't do both... the henna sounds like a great idea... you could cut the BindRunes onto candles, & burn one on a regular basis...

PS I forgot to mention that the fertility charm also contains several Laguz's (emotional health & well being). It also occured to me that this charm would be equally effective for either male or female... actually it should be great for a couple to use together...

Lavender
May 31st, 2002, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by Silver Venus
O I love henna designs, I never thought of using henna! Thanks so much Danus!

I was thinking more along the lines of incorportaing it into a ritual for the new moon, with paint or honey where I could wash it off afterwards.. but henna would be great!
Maybe I could make it quite small then they wont be too scared when I go into labour! :T

What about infusing some oil with lavender, to be painted on when you go into labour? heh! The whole labour process is one big ritual. :) Lavender is usually used to promote a smooth labour. The runes can be used as part of the massage.

Lavender
May 31st, 2002, 01:24 AM
Kind of an off-topic question here, Rick. You said that you can use runes sideways, backwards, forward, just about any way. Is there a wrong way? I'm thinking in tarot, a reverse card usually means the energies are blocked or something. Is there something similar in runes?

Silver Venus
May 31st, 2002, 07:27 AM
Wild, I dont know the background behind painting them backwards and sideways on, but I think it makes it all the more powerful, as like a celtic knot, you can form a pattern that is very significant to you, either joining in a circle or going in a square..
People do read reversed runes the same way as in tarot but I think when making bind runes it doesnt apply..

Thanks for the tip about Lavender! I was planning on using it in labour, getting P to rub it into my lower back for pain relief and to keep me calm but drawing the charm on with lavender oil would be a nice touch too :)

& Thanks for the idea about candles Rick, Ill start doing that with the next new moon :)

Rick
May 31st, 2002, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by Wildchild
Kind of an off-topic question here, Rick. You said that you can use runes sideways, backwards, forward, just about any way. Is there a wrong way? I'm thinking in tarot, a reverse card usually means the energies are blocked or something. Is there something similar in runes?
Runes are essentially a magic system. Divination with them is, well, kind of a pleasant side effect (OK, not exactly, but I can't think of a better way to phrase it). Since most people's first contact with Runes is related to divination, it's difficult to get that aspect out of your head when using them magically. The meanings are the same, but you apply different principles. There are many historic examples of written Runic formulas that read right to left, others that read left to right, some where one word reads one way & the next reads the other way, some where the sigils seem to be randomly reversed or inverted, etc. So, while in divination it may make a difference, in magical applications it does not (personally, I don't read reversed, nor do any of the Runesters with which I am personally acquainted; but if anyone else does, that's perfectly OK).

Mithrea
June 2nd, 2002, 01:38 AM
I have learned so much about Runes from this thread!

I am a real learn by doing sort of person so this was a really cool exercise to watch ;) I didn't fully understand what a bindrune was or how it worked before.

Rick
June 7th, 2002, 12:42 AM
Mithrea (& all others present), feel free (if you haven't already) to browse the other Rune threads in the Divination, & Magic & Ritual forums.

Myst
June 7th, 2002, 12:45 AM
Originally posted by Rick
I don't read reversed, nor do any of the Runesters with which I am personally acquainted; but if anyone else does, that's perfectly OK).

Incidentally it's the same way in tarot - some read reversed cards. some don't, either way is fine :)