PDA

View Full Version : Survival Tips for Food Storage and Animals

SSanf
August 16th, 2007, 08:59 AM
Flood victims fought off hungry animals and battled waterborne diseases in South Asia on Thursday as unrelenting monsoon rains caused fresh flooding in the region, already battered by weeks of bad weather.

The death toll in eastern India alone rose by over 100 in the past week with thousands more marooned or made homeless as bloated rivers burst mud embankments.

Authorities across South Asia -- where around 850 people have drowned, been crushed by landslides or died from snakebite and waterborne infections since mid-July -- said they were struggling to help millions of victims.

For some in the impoverished Indian state of Bihar, it is a struggle for survival as jackals and monkeys have attacked dozens of villagers over the past few days.

"Wild animals like jackals and monkeys are biting our wives and children and snatching bread from their hands," said Lalan Raut from the flood-hit Madhubani district.

"They are on a looting spree and are killing our goats and small rabbits."

Residents said the wild animals faced a shortage of prey since huge areas of the state were under water.

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/DEL46744.htmYou know, when talking about survival preparedness, I never considered that we could, in fact, have to deal with competition from displaced animals. I guess, that is something we should consider. Can't think of much other than a gun and lots of amo.

Even in suburbia, there are a whole lot more critters than most people realize. At the minimum, your storage should be in water proof, rat proof containers. A paper bag of flour won't do. If a natural disaster effects us, we will not be alone!

Philosophia
August 16th, 2007, 09:02 AM
I might move this to Critter Chat as it deals more with animals then politics.

SSanf
August 16th, 2007, 09:43 AM
I think we could really use that emergency preparedness forum. That is where it should really go.

But, thanks for moving it, anyway.

Philosophia
August 16th, 2007, 09:46 AM
I think we could really use that emergency preparedness forum. That is where it should really go.

But, thanks for moving it, anyway.

Your welcome.

Thank you for posting this. I never would've thought about the issue of wild animals attacking during an emergency.

SphinYote
August 16th, 2007, 11:54 AM
I've been gradually buying plastic containers to put things like rice and flour in...my thoughts were more along the lines of needing something waterproof, but this is another good reason...rats would probably become a problem very quickly, and we can't forget that in a disaster there will probably be a lot of abandoned domestic dogs that might turn mean when faced with starvation...

Tullip Troll
August 16th, 2007, 12:02 PM
brings up a question, if you are hit by a disaster and can not take your dog, what is the right thing to do. I don't mean a diasaster where you might be a way for a day or two I mean big. Is it right to just leave the dog to fend for itself and possibly become a mean dog not scared of people ?

Trithemius
August 16th, 2007, 01:52 PM
Yeah, the sooner we can get that Preparedness forum going, the better. That's the perfect place for a topic like this.

brings up a question, if you are hit by a disaster and can not take your dog, what is the right thing to do. I don't mean a diasaster where you might be a way for a day or two I mean big. Is it right to just leave the dog to fend for itself and possibly become a mean dog not scared of people ?

Okay, serious answer here. At times like this, any notion of animal rights goes out the window. In a real SHTF scenario, when you have to leave and there are no forseeable plans to return any time soon, the best thing to do is kill the dog. Dogs are pack animals. If you let the family pet run free, it will join a dog pack, and it will become feral very quickly. Feral dogs are extremely dangerous, and even more so when the pack mentality kicks in.

Long story short, if you don't kill your dog, someone else will, hopefully before it can attack and maim or kill a person.

Trithemius
August 16th, 2007, 02:01 PM
I've been gradually buying plastic containers to put things like rice and flour in...my thoughts were more along the lines of needing something waterproof, but this is another good reason...rats would probably become a problem very quickly, and we can't forget that in a disaster there will probably be a lot of abandoned domestic dogs that might turn mean when faced with starvation...

Don't just put that rice and flour in plastic containers and call it good. There are bug eggs in them that will hatch if they aren't killed. Easiest way to do that is put your rice and flour in the freezer for a week or so. The cold will kill the eggs. Then you can pack it in your containers. Five gallon buckets with good-fitting lids work well for food storage. If you can get some mylar bags to pack your dry goods in, and throw some oxygen absorber packets in as well, then pack that in the buckets, that's even better.

Tullip Troll
August 16th, 2007, 05:00 PM
Don't just put that rice and flour in plastic containers and call it good. There are bug eggs in them that will hatch if they aren't killed. Easiest way to do that is put your rice and flour in the freezer for a week or so. The cold will kill the eggs. Then you can pack it in your containers. Five gallon buckets with good-fitting lids work well for food storage. If you can get some mylar bags to pack your dry goods in, and throw some oxygen absorber packets in as well, then pack that in the buckets, that's even better.

Good point.

Also not all plastic containers are good for storage, some are quite toxic over time.

SphinYote
August 16th, 2007, 05:23 PM
Yes.

I'm hoping these will be OK since they were sold as food containers, however it is a good point. I used to reuse my plastic drink containers, but now am only reusing the glass ones...

And the advice about putting the rice in the freezer is good, too.

Question: Is the refrigerator cold enough (the rice spent two-three weeks in there before migrating to the plastic containers), or does that only cause the potential insect eggs to go dormant rather than kill them...?

Yote

TheWomanMonster
August 16th, 2007, 05:31 PM
Yote, I've tried the refrigerator with moth larva and eggs in birdseed, it really just slows them down. I'd say that the freezer is the best bet.

SphinYote
August 16th, 2007, 05:47 PM
Ah. Thank you. The rice is about to get very cold, then.

Catiana
August 16th, 2007, 06:09 PM
CRITTER CHAT FORUM GUIDE

Since we've gone why past this thread being about animals, and its more toward food storage, I'm moving this to the Green Room

Trithemius
August 16th, 2007, 06:43 PM
Question: Is the refrigerator cold enough (the rice spent two-three weeks in there before migrating to the plastic containers), or does that only cause the potential insect eggs to go dormant rather than kill them...?

No, the refrigerator won't kill the eggs. You need the freezer temperatures to do that.

wolfjan1
August 16th, 2007, 07:06 PM
Well, its a good idea to keep your own stock of food for your pets. I always do anyway. Along with big waterproof garbage cans for the bird seed. But maybe we can talk the pet supply stores in to having an emergency preparedness plan as well.

wolfjan1
August 16th, 2007, 07:17 PM
Well, I am using my food sealer a great deal these days. I just stripped the dried rosemary and parsley and sealed them in. I will put them in the freezer as well.
Thank you for the reminder

SSanf
August 16th, 2007, 09:35 PM
CRITTER CHAT FORUM GUIDE

Since we've gone why past this thread being about animals, and its more toward food storage, I'm moving this to the Green RoomMy Poor homeless thread. Wears out its welcome everywhere. http://www.mysticwicks.com/images/icons/icon9.gif

Tullip Troll
August 17th, 2007, 07:33 AM
lets see how many places we can move ; )

SSanf
August 17th, 2007, 08:11 AM
Speaking of rats and displaced animals. You need some way to enclose sleeping infants so that desperate animals do not attack them. Remember, "A dingo stole my baby!"

Rhianna813
August 20th, 2007, 04:31 PM
Speaking of rats and displaced animals. You need some way to enclose sleeping infants so that desperate animals do not attack them. Remember, "A dingo stole my baby!"

I think the dingo stole this thread.....

A sling or soft pack is the best idea for transporting a baby, as the baby can stay close to your body. And when you are working or moving about you can be more or less hands free. Men, women and older children can usually carry a baby or toddler in a sling.

Is this enough to get the thread over to the Parenting forum? *wink*

SSanf
August 24th, 2007, 05:23 PM
Aw, my thread finally found a home. Isn't that special!

Yea!