PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Green thumbs... Help!!!

Red Dragon
April 20th, 2001, 03:17 AM
I need to know of any legends or correspondences relating to ivy. If any of you know of any lore or what ivy may signify, please share it! ;) Thanks :D

reanna
April 20th, 2001, 04:15 AM
I will go and see what I can come up with for you.
I'll post if I find anything.

I am sure someone here knows something. Everyone is always full of wisdom. :)

reanna

SahuaDjet
April 20th, 2001, 12:48 PM
Em Hotep,
Ivy is for protection and healing according to
http://www.geocities.com/absynthe66/herbsi.html
Also featured here (Ivy):
http://www.geocities.com/lavenderwater37/herbs5.htm#I
these are all that I could see worth getting most other sites had the meaning as the first....hope this helps and good luck!

Sahu Djet

Lavender
April 21st, 2001, 12:24 AM
I've seen ivy listed to correspond with Saturn and in others with Venus. I've seen ivy corresponded with water & others say fire. Generally, eveyone aggrees on the following. Ivy, holly, & mistletoe were traditionally used to decorate the house for Yule. This is to welcome good spirits who are seeking shelter. Ivy is usually corresponded with fidelity & used in marriage wreaths. Also used in charms or fetishes to be carried on your person for luck and love. Ivy is the feminine & holly is the masculine counterpart. Ivy is grown outside your front entrance to protect your house from evil & to promote luck & love for the household.

Ivy is dedicated to Dionysus, Greek god of wine. He wears an ivy wreath. There's a story about how Dionysus used ivy to free himself from some sailors who were going to sell him off as a slave in Egypt. Dionysus had used ivy & grape vines to anchor the ship to keep it from sailing. There is also another story of how Cissos, a Greek nymph had danced herself to death to attract Dionysus. He felt sorry for her & turned her into ivy.

Ivy is sometimes used as a medicinal herb but there are so many cautions to using it, I feel there are much safer alternatives than ivy.

Red Dragon
April 21st, 2001, 02:31 AM
Thanks for the info, and especially to you wildchild. I was wondering as I seem to bee using Ivy as a decorating theme as we redo our house. It shows up in stenciling, borders, etc. Weird Huh? Thanks again, Hee,hee ;)

Lavender
April 21st, 2001, 11:50 PM
Not weird...you knew what you were doing all along, right?:D

Red Dragon
April 25th, 2001, 01:47 AM
:p Ya know? I suppose so, Hee,hee, Thanks again WC ;)

LaDaya
April 27th, 2001, 07:37 PM
Now I know why I want some ivy plants so much... Thanks... Does anyone know if they are poisonous to animals?

MammaStar
April 27th, 2001, 10:06 PM
Only the berries:( :eek:

Red Dragon
May 11th, 2001, 12:36 AM
Ivy has berries??? Who knew.. Hee,hee ;)

Celtic_Angel
May 18th, 2001, 07:39 PM
We have a lot of ivy covering the ground around here. The only problems from it is that it chokes the trees if we don't cut it back and it attrack spiders. Animals love it though and it looks gorgeous. Ours doesn't have berries though.

Lavender
June 25th, 2001, 11:26 PM
Moonmorgan...

found the ivy thread!

Sunday's Child
June 26th, 2001, 07:57 PM
Ivy, ivy ivy.... I love ivy, we have it growing all over the place here.. I have never seen berries on the ivy but we have them on our hollies.