PDA

View Full Version : Have you ever considered...?

imapepper
August 21st, 2007, 05:38 PM
Have you ever considered, as a Christo-Pagan, Christian Witch, etc. leaving one aspect for the other i.e. dropping the Christian elements or dropping the Pagan elements? I understand you'd then be practicing something totally different, but have any of you ever struggled with your faith and felt pulled more toward one direction than the other? If so, why is that?

Sometimes I feel like the people are the ones that make me feel like choosing one aspect of my faith or the other, especially since there's so much opposition to even the mere idea of Christianity and Paganism coming together. I understand them too, sometimes my faith leaves even me feeling like I have to make certain leaps and bounds just so that it makes sense (at least it feels that way when I compare my beliefs to your mainstream Christianity or mainstream Paganism), but it's tough either way not being able to completely commune with a group of people on one side or the other.

I could just be asking for too much though or focusing on the wrong angle here.

How do you feel?

Artiste-LiLi
August 21st, 2007, 07:07 PM
Sounds to me like you most resonate with what is commonly called "Hoo-Doo", "Pow-wow" (not like the native american kind), "Penn. Dutch Healing", "Mountain Magic". All of these have both Christian and Pagan elements in them.....such as calling upon the Saints and Angels while performing what can only be called a purely pagan ritual. Many family traditions in the southern part of the US are based upon these paths. Maybe if you did some research in that direction you wouldn't feel so conflicted?

imapepper
August 21st, 2007, 07:20 PM
Sounds to me like you most resonate with what is commonly called "Hoo-Doo", "Pow-wow" (not like the native american kind), "Penn. Dutch Healing", "Mountain Magic". All of these have both Christian and Pagan elements in them.....such as calling upon the Saints and Angels while performing what can only be called a purely pagan ritual. Many family traditions in the southern part of the US are based upon these paths. Maybe if you did some research in that direction you wouldn't feel so conflicted?

I've read about them, all very interesting, but basically the same thing I'm practicing, not exactly, but they're all still mixtures of two different sets of beliefs.

Sigh.

Thanks for the suggestion though!

:hahugh:

Sage
August 21st, 2007, 08:21 PM
I am not Christian nor have I ever been, but my mom reads and has a great respect for the Bible. I am a lasp Muslim (I was a practicing Muslim for 5 years), if such a thing exists. I hope its ok for me to reply to your question.

I didn't feel a pull from the faith itself in any direction. I did feel it from people and their interpretation of the faith the its teachings. I felt it quite strongly in fact. I did end up going totally along with the faith and leaving my Pagan elements behind. Interesting to note at that time, I considered their thoughts to be the faith and I didn't call my spiritual practices Pagan.

This was absolutely the worse decision I have made in my life. I was not true to myself when I chose to deny who I am. No matter how much I tried to ignore myself and focus on the faith, there was a part of me that was dying. Even thinking that my thoughts/feelings were from the devil, or it was my sins and I needed to be steadfast in asking for forgivness, doing more prayers, reading more of the Qur'an, etc. I didn't help me and in fact made me feel worse about myself and the faith. It really got to a point where I started to hate myself and the faith..... and this is when the wake up call happened.

For the past 2 years, I have been doing what makes me happy, healthy and whole. Trusting and knowing that it will all work out. I truly believe that everything that happens has a purpose. As for my faith, I don't practice much of it but I have kept a few things here and there. Perhaps, later on down the road I will give it another hard look. I thought I would feel gulity or horrible once I stopped practcing, but the exact opposite has happened. I am even tempted to say that not practicing has actually helped me to understand (or at least think about them from a different angle) some things I couldn't before.

Sage

HerbGurl
June 3rd, 2008, 05:41 PM
Have you ever considered, as a Christo-Pagan, Christian Witch, etc. leaving one aspect for the other i.e. dropping the Christian elements or dropping the Pagan elements? I understand you'd then be practicing something totally different, but have any of you ever struggled with your faith and felt pulled more toward one direction than the other? If so, why is that?
How do you feel?
I have considered dropping the Pagan elements of my worship, and go to complete Christianity, albeit a mystical, contemplative Christian path. I spent a week in a Episcopal convent last summer, and loved it. Singing the Daily office, and spending time in prayer and work, was a wonderful experience that I want to repeat.

Cloaked Raven
June 3rd, 2008, 07:20 PM
Five years ago, I found my current path and have never looked back. Not once have I considered dropping the Pagan end of my beliefs. I have considered dropping the Christian side for a time but I didn't. I guess my strict Christian upbringing was too deeply ingrained for me to leave it completely.

When I found my path, it felt right to me. It still feels right to me. I could never go back to so-called "traditional" Christianity. No matter how loud or softly someone talks to me about "rejoining the fold", I am very comfortable where I am today and if people freak out about it, that's their problem. Religion (or lack of it if one is an Atheist) is a very personal choice and people should not try to convince others that their religion is better than anyone else's.

I hope you find the right path for you. Peace be with you.

LadyCelt
June 6th, 2008, 12:06 AM
In a sense, I have dropped more elements from the christian church, but not jesus.

Pneumatikos
August 1st, 2008, 11:50 AM
Jesus never told us how to worship, only how to pray. Worship and the ritual it brings is ever changing. Allow the Divine to work in its own way. It requires us to explore all paths. We never stop learning, changing and growing, or we die. Change does not have to mean destruction of one ritual over another.