PDA

View Full Version : IMPORTANT - Is there Still Interest?

RainInanna
August 23rd, 2007, 09:31 PM
As I'm the new forum guide 'round here I was wondering if there is still interest in the Adopt A Newbie program? Please respond to the poll and add any comments.

This would mean starting over from scratch since I don't have the details of the mentors and newbies from the old program.

Were you already a mentor and newbie and wish it had been run another way? Have any ideas on how you think it should be run? Please feel free to post your suggestions.

Autumn Sidhe
August 23rd, 2007, 10:18 PM
I was a mentor but it just didn't seem to work very well. A couple of people I was set up with to mentor messaged me once or twice and then never came back to the forum. I'd love to continue mentoring if there is a real desire from new members that would like to learn, etc..

Tanya
August 24th, 2007, 12:49 AM
similar experience to above. I was a mentor. I got one person who never wrote back. I'ld be willing to go again.

Heart of All
August 24th, 2007, 01:59 AM
I want to be a Newbie, but I want someone to teach me about Heathenry. I signed up once before (not long ago) and never heard anything back.

RainInanna
August 24th, 2007, 04:36 PM
Do you think people should have a certain number of posts or length of time as a member here before they can participate?

~ lowlinora ~
August 24th, 2007, 05:09 PM
I would like nothing more than to find a mentor. Unfortunately, it is hard for me at this time to make a commitment as my time is limited and my visits to the site sporadic. I hope you do start the program and would like to hop on board in the near future. Yes I would think that mentors and newbies alike should be required to have minimum # of posts or length of time as a member, it would help to determine the type of person that is signing on and weed out the less than desireable ones? Nothing is fool proof...but every little bit helps! :sunny:

Caitlin.ann
August 24th, 2007, 06:55 PM
I am interested in being a newbie as well, although I'm not sure how much time I'll be able to commit once school starts Tuesday. What all goes on betwee the mentors and newbies though? Is it like a class in which there is a set curriculum the mentor teaches the newbie, or is the mentor simply someone the newbie can come to with questions about their chosen path?
I've been curious as to how that works. I also agree with lowlinora as far as requiring someone to have a set number of posts before they can participate.

Amilee
August 29th, 2007, 10:52 AM
I would love to be a mentor. If the program runs I`ll be ready and willing.

RainInanna
August 29th, 2007, 11:54 AM
If any existing newbies/mentors are reading, could you provide your input as to how the program was running?

Unfortunately the guides are MIA, and the information isn't available to me.

Vigdisdotter
August 30th, 2007, 06:27 PM
In theory was previously a mentor but neither of the people I was pared with ever responded. So if I have one suggestion it would be some kind of....screening process to make sure those that sign up really ARE interested? Rather then having emails sent into the ether :)

TheWomanMonster
August 30th, 2007, 09:56 PM
I was looking for a mentor when I first came around, I don't really need one anymore. I'd volunteer to help mentor now but life is hectic for me and I'm not very educated in all things Pagan. :lol:

If it ever gets to the point that there are too many newbies for the existing mentors to handle I could help with simple things I'm sure.

I do think it's a good idea.

I agree with Vigdisdotter too though, it would be great to somehow 'screen' applicants for actual interest and commitment to the program.

Zephyrstorm
August 30th, 2007, 10:35 PM
I'm willing to mentor, if we can come up with some way of helping people stay connected so the above problems don't repeat.

Isabella SilverRain
August 31st, 2007, 12:42 AM
I think that it would be great to have a mentor. And I agree that there should be some kind of screening process, so that you don't get people who just don't reply. If I had a mentor, I could get on the computer for about an hour every weekday after school and I could get on more on the weekends. I was in an adopt a Newbie program on a different site and I really enjoyed it!

LadyWinter
August 31st, 2007, 11:03 AM
Just my opinion but the criteria of having a high post count shows nothing....Someone can have 3000 posts all along the lines of "yeah" "whoohoo" and I like peach schnapps...that doesnt mean they have any more commitment to mentoring a new person.....

IMO the only way to weed out those who volunteer to be mentors is by the time and dedication they show to those they are mentored....check in with how the experience is going for both....and just another thought I would pair a newbie up, if possible, with someone who is of a similar belief structure, or if possible of a similar age or other common factors....

This program seems like a great idea! Good Luck!:cheers:

Winter

~ lowlinora ~
August 31st, 2007, 02:49 PM
[quote=LadyWinter;3240153]Just my opinion but the criteria of having a high post count shows nothing....Someone can have 3000 posts all along the lines of "yeah" "whoohoo" and I like peach schnapps...that doesnt mean they have any more commitment to mentoring a new person.....

IMO the only way to weed out those who volunteer to be mentors is by the time and dedication they show to those they are mentored....check in with how the experience is going for both....and just another thought I would pair a newbie up, if possible, with someone who is of a similar belief structure, or if possible of a similar age or other common factors....

This program seems like a great idea! Good Luck!:cheers:

These are very good points. If periodic checks for both newbies and mentors were implemented, I think the chances of success for the program would increase. Would RainInanna or someone else want to take on that committment?
LadyWinter....your ideas are well thought out. Maybe more of your ideas/ input to the program with Raininanna's would benefit everyone ?! :thumbsup:

Vigdisdotter
August 31st, 2007, 03:03 PM
Do you think people should have a certain number of posts or length of time as a member here before they can participate?

That's one idea, but that it's really easy to generate a post count without effort or depth.

I was thinking something along the lines of a continued correspondence a Newbie thread? or to someone that is in charge of pairing people up?

What I would like to avoid is people going, "Oh cool!" signing up and then never replying, which is what I ran into.

Also is there someway we could validate emails? That would probably help a lot too.

Isabella SilverRain
August 31st, 2007, 03:25 PM
That's one idea, but that it's really easy to generate a post count without effort or depth.

I was thinking something along the lines of a continued correspondence a Newbie thread? or to someone that is in charge of pairing people up?

What I would like to avoid is people going, "Oh cool!" signing up and then never replying, which is what I ran into.

Also is there someway we could validate emails? That would probably help a lot too.

I like the idea of a continued correspondence Newbie Thread and/or the idea of somebody who is in charge of pairing people up. Whichever one would work best for the most people would be fine with me.

And I have no idea of how to validate emails....I'm not very good at all the technical stuff.

IronSeraphim
September 1st, 2007, 02:31 AM
Well, I'm definitely interested in being mentored. As far as a solution that would provide way to weed out those who aren't serious....I dunno.

I guess I would ask how a mentor chooses a student in person, rather than online~After all, time is taken to for people to get to know each other. People who generally aren't serious, tend to not take the time to get to know people. I think this may be as important as matching up student/mentor properly by relevant interests. I suppose I'm saying this primarily because it is sort of like building a relationship.

It's not something that should be rushed......after all, the mentor is sharing something sacred to them. I mean, if they were teaching algebra, that's one thing. It's impersonal. One's religion, on the other hand, is very personal~ and I completely understand a reluctance to share these thoughts and feelings with someone who may disappear in a month.

The fact that it's over the internet provides many barriers as well. Without being face to face, it's hard for teacher and student alike to guage reactions, emotions, ect. It also makes hands-on teaching impossible. ( yeah, I know....call me Capt. Obvious )

I'm not saying it's a bad idea~On the contrary, I guess I'm just pointing out how difficult it is to communicate in a student/teacher fashion via the web. Aside from possibly suggesting an explanation of that fact in the Newbie FAQ, and stressing that only the serious need apply, perhaps encouraging possible students and mentors to get to know each other better? I know that's not easy on a forum~ yet a workable solution could be a thread with newbie apps that the mentors could browse~check out possible students in action on the boards and let them decide whether they feel they'd like to contact them about mentoring. I dunno.....I guess that's my spin on a possible solution.

There's probably reasons why it might not work any better than the system that's in place as we speak, yet I figured I'd toss an idea out there for consideration.
:)

*edited*
My apologies if this has already been stated~ Gotta stop skimming through the posts.

Zephyrstorm
September 1st, 2007, 07:39 AM
Very well said, IronSeraphim. :)

RainInanna
September 1st, 2007, 08:22 AM
What if instead of me matching people up privately, mentors and newbies could converse more in the open forum and choose eachother?

SwordsFlameSong
September 1st, 2007, 09:07 AM
What if instead of me matching people up privately, mentors and newbies could converse more in the open forum and choose eachother?

I think that is a good idea. Like others who have posted in this thread I was assigned to a young gent as his mentor. Now, don't get me wrong, he seemed to be a great kid and really intelligent. I genuinely liked him and we traded pms back and forth.

His path though, what he was exploring, I felt ineffectual mentoring him. He was leaning very heavily towards a specific path that I could speak historically on the race and their myths and lore but I really wasn't what he needed.

If a chat room could be dedicated - at times - for this - you could also have periodic mentor mixers. Some real time interaction may be useful as well. Also, maybe threads - or mentor sub forums. Yah I know more forums. But what I mean is, a forum for mentors where they tell about themselves and their paths and/or one for newbies where they do the same. Something on the order of personal ads?

Another thought. How about an article on the mentoring program for the Winter Issue of MW magazine. It would go out to all those who are signed up for MW. I plan on working one for CoT in order to highlight that program here.

GEBS
September 1st, 2007, 11:12 AM

A valid email has to be used to sign up for MW. We can't be sure that it's one they actually check once they have clicked the activation email but we do validate that it's real when they first sign up.

If a chat room could be dedicated - at times - for this - you could also have periodic mentor mixers. Some real time interaction may be useful as well. Also, maybe threads - or mentor sub forums. Yah I know more forums. But what I mean is, a forum for mentors where they tell about themselves and their paths and/or one for newbies where they do the same. Something on the order of personal ads?

Another thought. How about an article on the mentoring program for the Winter Issue of MW magazine. It would go out to all those who are signed up for MW. I plan on working one for CoT in order to highlight that program here.

The article is a great idea.

SFS, I'll discuss the rest of this and the PM with mol later today. I'm sure we can come up with something.

Vigdisdotter
September 1st, 2007, 02:33 PM

I like that idea a LOT :) I think that would solve a great many issues.

Maybe mentors and Newbies could submit "profiles" of themselves to give people an idea of what they are comfortable with and/or looking for?

Autumn Clair
September 4th, 2007, 02:38 PM
I was a mentor on the old system. I wish it could have been run a bit different. I wasn't exactly matched up with someone who could have benefited from me more to what I was involved in.

Is there a form I need to fill out to mentor again.

My fileds are:
Dreams and Divination, Meditation, Cooking with Herbs, ATC art trading cards and other mail art. Animal Guides, Seer Path (this deals with learning dream interpretation and psychic abilities, with a variety of studies in divinations.)
I'm very nature balance, element balanced, breast feeding counselor, family oriented.

If that info helps :)

BlackLili
September 6th, 2007, 12:21 PM
I would be very interested in being both a mentor and a newbie, depending on the topic. As soon as you want people to sign up, I'm online almost everyday, and will be for the forseeable future, and would love to get my learn on. (And assist anyone else I can help, too!)

RainInanna
September 7th, 2007, 10:35 PM
Maybe at least the forum title could be changed to something like "Mentor & Newbie Program" and the open discussion could start here?

I'm just reading a book called Spiritual Mentoring by Judy Harrow and am looking forward to bringing some of the topics up for discussion in this sub-forum. I also recommend it very highly - both for mentors and for seekers who want to consider finding a mentor and building a relationship etc.

Vigdisdotter
September 8th, 2007, 10:49 AM
I'm just reading a book called Spiritual Mentoring by Judy Harrow and am looking forward to bringing some of the topics up for discussion in this sub-forum. I also recommend it very highly - both for mentors and for seekers who want to consider finding a mentor and building a relationship etc.

I'm working my way through that book at the moment :) I read her Wicca Covens first and loved it, since all her ideas were applicable outside of a Wiccan context with minimal or not changes.

October
September 8th, 2007, 11:00 AM
I want to be a newbie. I wasn't part of it the first time, and I'm on a lot. I've been practicing for ten years, so I'm not technically new, but because I'm a solitary I slacked a little bit and didn't study as much as I perhaps should have. I'd love to have a mentor.

novimarra
September 13th, 2007, 12:49 PM
Count me interested! I'm a newbie and also love the idea of a forum where newbies and mentors could interact with each other. As far as applications go, the newbies could post exactly what they're looking for in a mentor in their own thread (in an organized way), and the mentors can sort and contact newbies.
Of course, if you want the newbies more involved this could be reversed: the mentors give a basic profile of what they can do for you, and the newbies pick.

Vigdisdotter
September 13th, 2007, 02:21 PM
So should some one start Mentor and Newbie intro threads? :) <glances around to see who is in charge>

RainInanna
September 13th, 2007, 04:46 PM
Just trying to work around dialup I have access to only during certain hours, two online courses, and my 6 month old. Have started some threads, must go now, baby crying already.

Vigdisdotter
September 14th, 2007, 02:05 AM
Just trying to work around dialup I have access to only during certain hours, two online courses, and my 6 month old. Have started some threads, must go now, baby crying already.

I can understand that one :) no rush. I'll be using my day off tomorrow to try and catch up on my own forum guide duties.

-Sky-
September 14th, 2007, 08:45 AM
RainInanna i think that what you're doing here is wonderful!:) I am glad that the revival of Adopt a newbie has begun. My blessings to you for your efforts.

I had applied to be a newbie previously but i never got a reply back...As i was very busy with every day life i did not protest but continued to check around this forum for the news. At some point i realised that it was not working,not the way it should be.So yeah,i am very pleased that someone is restarting it properly!:)

Having a mentor would be very helpful to me!I've been in the Craft for a few years but i was not consistent in my studies. I do have some people who help me spiritually through talking(my spiritual mom and friends) but having a mentor is special. I know that there are some very wise and magical people here in MW and i would like to learn from them.I've been feeling disconnected and lost lately so i think that a mentor could offer help.

But at the same time i would like to try mentoring a newbie myself. I've been in my path for several years and i'm an old soul who likes to help. So i think that i could help someone who is new to the Craft and is seeking the basics and direction.While i could probably not help someone seeking advanced mentoring.

*goes off to post in the other threads*
Love and light
~Anna

RainInanna
September 14th, 2007, 10:32 AM
I can understand that one :) no rush. I'll be using my day off tomorrow to try and catch up on my own forum guide duties.

Thanks, and sorry if that seemed short. I'm just a lil frustrated with our phone and internet services. Highspeed is SUPPOSED to be set up here Tuesday, only 2 and a half weeks after we've moved, after going through three companies trying to find one that had their head on straight.

RainInanna
September 14th, 2007, 10:35 AM
I am glad that the revival of Adopt a newbie has begun.

Excellent :) It looks like a lot of people want to see it happen again, so hopefully I can at least get folks going.

I think it's a great idea to help mentor others as well as being a newbie. No doubt we all have more to learn as well as some to teach too. I hope everyone will be willing to take both roles. So thank you, I look forward to seeing your posts in here!

-Sky-
September 14th, 2007, 11:22 AM
I think it's a great idea to help mentor others as well as being a newbie. No doubt we all have more to learn as well as some to teach too. I hope everyone will be willing to take both roles. So thank you, I look forward to seeing your posts in here!

That's what i think as well.:) Learning is a constant process and it continues throughout our life. I love that because there are always new things to learn. But there are also many things we've learnt that we would love to share and pass down to others. So that's why i would like to have both roles,i could benefit from both.

Now,i have to admit that for the next 1-2 months i will not be as consistent as i would like. I got into university and it will take a while until i move to another city,find a nice house,adapt into the university schedule. It will be kinda crazy for a while. But i will try to not take more responsibility than i can handle.

(PS RainInanna,i've been noticing your posts around MW and i really enjoy them. I like you.:) I think i had you as a friend in covenspace but i never check that anymore.)

-Sky-
September 18th, 2007, 07:55 AM
Just wanted to let you know that i will be out of town for a week. I need to enroll to university and go over the details of my moving.So i will post in the threads i need to post right after i get back.

Love to you all,
~Anna

Modesty
December 14th, 2008, 11:43 PM
Would like to see this start again. I was a mentor. Didn't hear back from the newbie I had. Or maybe I had the email address wrong. Either way, if this is going on still, count me in.

lavenderdawn
December 16th, 2008, 02:37 PM
I'd be interested in adopting someone. I'm eclectic but versed in Tarot, ritual design, magical cooking and housekeeping. I'm a firm believer in following ones own heart and inner knowing. I like my students to be able to think for themselves and insist that they develop a sense of personal ethics. I don't have to agree with them, they just have to had thought about the whys and wherefores.