PDA

View Full Version : Cooking pots and utensils

SSanf
August 26th, 2007, 09:07 PM
If you can only take one cook pot, take a large one instead of a small one. You can cook small things in a large pot but you cannot cook large things in a small pot.

A large pot has many, many uses, everything from hauling water to washing clothes but a small pot can be used for few things.

Merrilyn
August 26th, 2007, 09:31 PM
I remember growing up, when we were very down on our luck, that my Mom had one giant pot that she used for so many things. She made rice in it, boiled bottles in it, fried chicken in it, made soup in it, boiled our bathwater in it (we had no hot water so she would add one huge pot of hot water to a half-full bathtub for us) and sometimes would just let a bunch of cinnamon simmer in it..

I'm not sure what it was made out of, but it was thick and scorched and had been dropped a thousand times. She would say she loved it because it was so "broken in".

Good memory. She gave me one similar to what she used to have when I moved into my new house. It's a comfort just knowing it's there when I need it.

SSanf
August 26th, 2007, 09:40 PM
A good pot is one of the simple joys of life.

wolfjan1
August 26th, 2007, 09:57 PM
Good idea! It is hard for me to cook small anyway. I buy in bulk and cook like crazy. I am lucky enough to call up my family and say"I maded 15 bean soup." We trade things all the time. Roasts, soups, desserts, whatever somebody made. Practically everybody does their weekly cooking on Sunday and supplement with salads and fresh vegetables.
But an older BIG pot contains bags of beans and rice and dry milk, with room for spices and other fast things.
Blessings to you, Ssanf'
WJ

SSanf
August 26th, 2007, 10:15 PM
Blessings to you, Ssanf'
WJAnd, blessings from my home to yours!

Trithemius
August 26th, 2007, 10:22 PM
The size of your pot will be dependent on your means of transportation. If you're bugging out by vehicle, you can take the largest pot you can get your hands on. If you're going on foot, you'll have to settle for something you can fit in a backpack. Incidentally, a no. 10 tin can makes a very nice sized backpacking co0king pot, and it's unbelievably lightweight, not to mention cheap and easily replaceable.

As far as utensils go, you don't need to carry a knife/fork/spoon set. A spoon is much more useful than a fork, and you should already have either a sheath or pocket knife, or both.