PDA

View Full Version : What are your subjects this year?

Shanti
August 30th, 2007, 11:55 AM
Sharing what topics we are teaching.
In general, our studies this year are but not limited too:
Agriculture
Art
Geography
Health
History
Social Studies
Japanese Language
Language Arts
Math
Physical Ed
Reading
Science

Faol-chu
August 31st, 2007, 06:03 AM
Sharing what topics we are teaching.

Well, some of the stuff we do, I never think to include it as some sort of academic 'subject'...It's just life...but most certainly, it IS some subject or another.

That said, the topics for which we are using BOOKS and dedicating definite time time to every week are:

Writing
Math
Scottish Gaelic Language
Music (flute and violin, respectively)
PE (homeschool group activity)
Science (child-led self study)
Social Studies (child-led self study)

Shanti
August 31st, 2007, 10:39 AM
Well, some of the stuff we do, I never think to include it as some sort of academic 'subject'...It's just life...but most certainly, it IS some subject or another.

That said, the topics for which we are using BOOKS and dedicating definite time time to every week are:

Writing
Math
Scottish Gaelic Language
Music (flute and violin, respectively)
PE (homeschool group activity)
Science (child-led self study)
Social Studies (child-led self study)
Flute and violin, beautiful instruments to learn. :)

We have to have 6 core subjects, its the law here.
My kids would quickly get bored though if the cores were all I taught.

Cat
September 2nd, 2007, 03:26 PM
Kindergarten:
Phonics/reading
Math
Science
Art (in a class)
Probably piano with a tutor
Spanish, maybe--I have a tape so we'll see if she's interested
Either a movement class or tumbling or ballet or something
PE (workout tapes with me)
Some social studies informally, along the lines of learning about people in our community

Lyrien
September 5th, 2007, 11:10 PM
US History
Spelling/Vocab
Math
Grammar
Lit - One novel per month that I assign and a truckload she reads inbetween
Science - some chem and astronomy, and a class at the co-op
Writing - mostly freeform
Art - Not too sure, mostly play but will prolly do some artists studies
PE - TKD, she's a red belt
Woodworking - co-op class
Guitar whenever I can get back up there to start her lessons again
Spanish
Gifted class thru the PS one day per week. (unit studies on us history)

That sounds like a ton, but we really aren't killing ourselves here.

Ceres
September 9th, 2007, 08:52 AM
English- my daughter is doing a self directed reading list of her choosing and is trying to get a reading club organized for discussions. Right now she is reading A Handmaid's Tale. I read aloud from novels to the boys which boosts listening, comprehension, vocabulary skills and increases the chances they will become avid readers later. My daughter also usually listens in when I read. I dont push reading, writing, spelling and grammar because I believe these things are best learned through reading later. Since I see my daughter correcting her school friend's spelling and grammar on MSN, I think this works for us :lol: I also believe reading should be self taught and that has now worked with all three children. I have to hold back my oldest from teaching the youngest deliberately....but at least now I have her down to only doing with his permission.

Math- We have no current workbooks yet. When the cold weather sets in and everyone is bored and wanting indoor activities, I will let them choose workbooks if they want. Madeleine may take the grade nine online course instead as she chose of her own free will to prep for that last year. Despite not having done workbooks in the past, she had no problems starting in at a grade eight level. She disciplined herself to learn it a bit each day - I didnt prompt her.

Geography, Social Studies, Current Events - I lumped these together because we usually read the newspaper, magazines and online news on a daily basis, discuss the issues and learn about where they are happening. The relevancy created by lumping these subjects together makes way more sense to me than teaching these things seprately. My daughter and I are thinking of joining Amnesty International this year as well.

Science - everyone is into different areas of science, so we are always taking out books and reasearching things online. They do overlap at times, so we do come together on it. My oldest loves to read Scientific American and Discover Magazine and uses that as a jumping off point to learn more about things that tweak her interest. Her passion is gentics. My youngest is into life systems and animal classification and has been for over a year. It began with arachnids (shiver) and continued onto reptiles and fish and finally has spread to mammals and he is now bringing them all together and looking at how they are interactive and dependent on eachother. He just started in on birds of prey in the last two months too. The middle child loves physics and engineering and has been experimenting and learning about them for years - this is a lifetime thing for him I think, which isnt surprising considering he comes from a long line of millwright/machinist/electricians.

PE is a joke. We do Karate together as a family, but even without that they are always active.

History fits into everythings else. I dont see how you can learn about any subject without learning about its history. If you learn how to calculate pie in math, you have to talk about pythagoras. If you read Anne Frank, you have to learn about WWII. If you learn about Science, You have to know the history of who developed what we know and thebworld they lived in when they did. When I say you have to, it isnt because I make them - its because as the discussion about the subject rolls along, you cant help but cover it. Canadian history is what vacations are for - we love to go to historically significant places and see them up close. I am really hoping for Ottawa and Montreal this fall (fingers crossed)