PDA

View Full Version : Are thier any future Saga's, Edda's or epics being written today?

monsnoleedra
September 7th, 2007, 11:25 AM
If we look to our past, regardless of ancestry, we find great epic saga's; edda's; or stories. Nearly every religious grouping has a ritch and colorfull past in thier stories and such. Nearly every cultural history is particually recorded in thier epic adventures.

Yet for all of this do you think our current society is creating any future inspiration? Do we have heroes that will inspire and give rise to great deeds and noble virtues?

Do we have a Chu Chullain, or poetic eddas that will be looked back on as clues to understanding our present?

David19
September 7th, 2007, 11:38 AM
If you're talking about modern mythology, then I think Buffy would be included in that (not just 'cause it was a popular show, but because it has a lot of philosopical concepts in it (just google Buffy and philosophy, and you'll see), and like James Masters (Spike) said, Buffy isn't just a show you can sit down and just watch, it really makes you think and a lot of it can be a metaphor for your life).

Not sure if that's what you meant, but I hope this helped.

monsnoleedra
September 7th, 2007, 06:42 PM
Buffy works for me. I just hate to think a thousand years from now the only clues left will be old tapes of the OJ trial.

David19
September 7th, 2007, 08:33 PM
Buffy works for me. I just hate to think a thousand years from now the only clues left will be old tapes of the OJ trial.

I don't think that'll happen, a thousand years from now, OJ will probably be forgotten (I don't know too much about him or the case, so he's not that famous ;)).

I'm quite interested in modern mythology, and would like to explore it more.

ModernKnight
September 7th, 2007, 08:52 PM
Myths, legends, sagas and epics were originally intended to be moralistic tales that were also entertainment. The closest thing we have to that today would likely be tales like Lord of the Rings, Chronicles of Narnia, Harry Potter, Stardust and the like.

monsnoleedra
September 8th, 2007, 10:27 AM
Myths, legends, sagas and epics were originally intended to be moralistic tales that were also entertainment. The closest thing we have to that today would likely be tales like Lord of the Rings, Chronicles of Narnia, Harry Potter, Stardust and the like.

I tend to agree but must note that the tales and legends that come down to us are based on supposed living individuals. In that regard I'm not sure the fantasy tales of Hobbits, Narnia or even Harry Potter would meet that criteria.

Yes they are great stories and inpsire us with imagination and moralistic guide posts, but i'm not sure they would survive the test of time. Yes they may stand in small groupings as fables much akin to fairey tales but I really don't think they will reach the level of a Great Saga or Epic Edda.

Think about it, it's been a little more than 200 years since the American Rev. yet the very tales and epic events of that time have been lost to a great degree already to the main stream society. What will happen after another 200 years?"

Stories like the movie about William Wallace and his inpact upon Scotish Highlands and history or the '300" about the Spartan army are epic tales of individuals that may fall into the epic edda / saga category. Perhaps even the story of the Alamo in American history will be remembered as a epic saga or edda. Maybe even the story of the Battle of Britain during WWII will be a modern inspiration for an tale.

ModernKnight
September 8th, 2007, 04:22 PM
I tend to agree but must note that the tales and legends that come down to us are based on supposed living individuals. In that regard I'm not sure the fantasy tales of Hobbits, Narnia or even Harry Potter would meet that criteria.

[snip]

Stories like the movie about William Wallace and his inpact upon Scotish Highlands and history or the '300" about the Spartan army are epic tales of individuals that may fall into the epic edda / saga category. Perhaps even the story of the Alamo in American history will be remembered as a epic saga or edda. Maybe even the story of the Battle of Britain during WWII will be a modern inspiration for an tale.

The problem with that is that in order to be a good story it has to be a tale of a small group of people, and modern society is too large for a small group of people to make a huge difference frequently. Despite that, I could see the stories of MLK and Ghandi passing into legend over time. Although pacifists, they would make good stories because it's a story of one person leading a movement against overwhelming odds, and they're stories that have found their way into modern culture.

Seren_
September 8th, 2007, 04:59 PM

Tolkein at least was very clear that the Lord of the Rings was an attempt at making a mythology for the modern age. Perhaps the tales of Narnia could also fit into the category (I understand that Tolkein and C S Lewis were good friends or acquaintances at least).

Garm
September 8th, 2007, 05:13 PM
Sagas would not work for this culture as we have a surplus of narratives driving down each others value

There are some cultures in Central Asia, if they maintain their basic frames of reference, will have saga like accounts of the current GWOT one day

Rick
September 9th, 2007, 11:38 PM
No, simply because we no longer have a need for the great oral tradition... more's the pity...