View Full Version : Recipe for Sealing Wax

June 2nd, 2002, 04:31 PM
Found this recipe burried in my computer.
For those like me who like to seal snail mail or spells with a seal.
I know it can be hard to find and when you do find it it's not cheap.

Kitchen Witch Sealing Wax

Materials: 1/2 oz (weight) beeswax
3 oz (weight) blonde shellac flakes (available at hardware stores)
dry artist's pigment of fresco colors in the hue of your choice
aluminum foil for molds
First: prepare molds for your sealing wax sticks by shaping several layers of aluminum foil into rectangular molds about 1/4" wide and 6 inches long. Lubricate the molds with cooking oil.
Carefully melt the beeswax in a microwave or on top of the stove.
Add the shellac flakes and heat again, stirring every 30 seconds until the mixture is melted (about 2 1/2 minutes total time).
Stir in the dry pigment, judging the amount of color to add by the color of the wax.
Pour this into molds and let cool.
Use the finished wax sticks to form a unique seal for an envelope by holding a candle flame to one end of the stick, holding the wax downward at an angle . Put 10 to 15 drops of wax on the closure flap of the envelope.
Wait a few seconds for the wax to cool , then moisten your metal seal with oil and lightly press into the soft wax.

OK I might get into trouble for this:( , but I have some leftover initial seals. I don't have handles on them but they could be used the way they are or you could could easily make out of a piece of wooden dowling or go to the hardware store and buy a wooden drawer pull. I'll let them go "cheap" I need the space. $6.50 including mailing costs. What I have left is d,g,h,i,k,l,o,q,s,u,x,y,z.
Mail me if you want one, some I only have one, a few I have duplicates.

***********If someone deems it necessary to remove this post , that's ok but please put the recipe back up again to be shared by any and everyone.***********
Here's a picture.

Yvonne Belisle
June 2nd, 2002, 04:36 PM
I don't see a problem but you may want to check with Kaylara Mol or Semele on that one. :) They may have delt with something like this before.

June 3rd, 2002, 01:57 AM
ahem or Myst

Yvonne Belisle
June 3rd, 2002, 02:08 AM
I left you out because I think this has happened before and those were the three that delt with it. You are still learning the billion things that go with being admin. By the way I wouldn't want your job if I was paid to take it! :) I didn't leave you out because I didn't think you would know.

June 3rd, 2002, 02:28 AM
This is fabulous. I have a cool seal and can never find the wax stick thingys. The ones I did have crumbled in the box. They also left a little oily stain and never seemed to hold very well. I'm going to try this :thumbsup:

June 3rd, 2002, 11:06 AM
Greetings Myst,
Am I in trouble?????:eek:

June 3rd, 2002, 12:39 PM
Skysteed this is currently under discussion but I'm quite sure you're not in trouble at all. I can't say more then that at the moment; just that no you're ok :)

Yvonne - A member or mod is welcome to come to any admin at any time for advice. If I didn't know the answer I would've found it out. As it happens, I actually do know.

June 3rd, 2002, 01:07 PM
There we are - now you see, Skysteed, we have a forum, a Pagan marketplace for you to share offers like this. Feel free to post there!!

Just remember folks, all barters/sales are the responsibility of the people involved, and are not endorsed or protected by MW or MW staff.

June 3rd, 2002, 02:04 PM
i know yvonne leaving our darling Myst out **tut tuteth** .... no but i know what you mean lol ...... and this is great

June 4th, 2002, 08:30 PM
This is a great recipe. Thanks!

Do you remember where you got the inital seals? What kind of place, department store, flea market etc. You don't have my name ;)

June 4th, 2002, 11:39 PM
Greeting Manstranger,
I purchased a box lot of wax and seals from an auction on ebay. I was after the wax the seal were a bonus.

I've got a couple of zodiac symbols seals as well.
*Aquarius, Virgo, Gemini*

I belive they were originally put out by Hallmark, but I've tried locating them since then, none of the stores carry seals and wax, and haven't for a couple of years from what I am being told.
If you are after a design seal there are a couple of places on the web that sell them (not these) and sell wax as well. Prices range from about 9.00 US upwards (+ shipping), depending on the type and style. Some places will even design a seal for you (are you rich?) Or try ebay, evey once in a while someone puts up Pagan design seals.

:) I don't need your name, I've seen your face. :eek:

June 4th, 2002, 11:43 PM
Found some seals that I missed.
I also have a couple that are M or double as W.

June 5th, 2002, 10:35 AM
Thanks for the info.

June 11th, 2002, 12:01 AM
Just remebered this the other night.
In stead of using real sealing wax, if you can't make it, or can't afford to buy it.
Colored hot glue sticks work quite well if using a metal seal.
Oil your seal, heat up the glue gun, drop a glob of glue or what you wish to seal (spread it out a little with the tip of the gun so that it isn't too thick, let cool for a few seconds and press seal into glue.

This works well for envelopes going throught the mail system as the glue is flexible and holds up better than sealing wax which tends to be rather brittle.

To add a little sparkle to your seals, weather using wax or glue (check the hobby and craft stores for fine sparkle dust). Oil seal, dip seal into sparkels and then press into wax or glue.
Instant pizzaz.

June 24th, 2002, 08:41 PM
Virgo seal : SOLD