PDA

View Full Version : MENTORS & NEWBIES - What We Want to Create Together

RainInanna
September 13th, 2007, 05:01 PM
Hi guys,

If you are a MENTOR - what do you hope to offer newbies? What experience do you have in Paganism and especially in working with others? Do you have a teaching background, are you just a great counsellor, or have you studied counselling? What motivates you to help others? What do you hope to gain from a relationship with a newbie?

If you are a NEWBIE - what are you looking for in mentoring? What do you hope to learn/find/experience? Is there a particular path you want to learn about, do you need someone to help you understand how you're feeling about Paganism? What are you expecting? And why do you want to work with a mentor?

This is just a thread for all of us to get a better idea of what we're looking for in a mentor/newbie relationship. Please share with us what you're looking for or what you can offer.

Heart of All
September 13th, 2007, 07:53 PM
I'm a newbie, and I'm not entirely sure what I'm looking for. I'm generally feeling pretty lost in my path right now, and I seem to be forging my own somewhere in between Asatru and neo-paganism. I guess what I'm looking for is someone to help me navigate all the information there is out there, and how to find what it is I want to know. I also have a tendency to be really academic, and I'd like some help figuring out how to live my faith.

Really, I've never known any pagans in real life who can teach me. No one I can ask silly questions to. And I'd really like having someone to go to when I have questions.

Isabella SilverRain
September 13th, 2007, 08:12 PM
I would like very much to become a newbie in this program!

What are you looking for in mentoring?
--I'm looking for an opportunity to learn from an individual who is more knowledgeable and learned than I currently am. I don't know a whole lot, and I feel like I could learn more if I had a mentor-like individual who could help me learn as much as I can about many different subjects. I would want a mentor who is patient and caring with me, someone who is gentle yet firm in teaching me things. I love to ask questions, so expect a lot. I am very curious by nature so I need a mentor who could put up with that.

What do you hope to learn/find/experience?
--I hope to learn the general aspects of Paganism and the basics. I have just started studying the craft, and I don't know that much. I have, and currently am, reading as many different books as I can find available at my local library. I would really like to learn how to meditate because I have been having trouble learning how to. I would like to experience the feeling of having a mentor who could help guide me in my search through the many aspects of the Craft. I have also been hoping to find somebody who could teach me about Totem or Power Animals, as I am very attracted to them.

Is there a particular path you want to learn about?
Not at the moment. I want to study all the different paths a bit before I decide which one I would like to study more in-depth than the others. Although, Green Witchcraft has been popping up in my mind for a while, so learning more about that particular path would be helpful.

Do you need someone to help you understand how you're feeling about Paganism?
Nope, not at the moment. I think that I understand how I feel about Paganism at the moment, but that could change in a heartbeat.

What are you expecting?
I am not really sure of what to expect, but I think that I should expect the following: a mentor who will help guide me in the right direction, answer questions if they know the answer, and to be a mentor who is caring and honest about what they are doing.

And why do you want to work with a mentor?
I believe that I learn better when I have somebody who is there to help guide me on whatever I am doing. I think that I could accomplish a lot more and learn more if I had a mentor to work with. There isn't any other Pagans in my area that I know of, besides my friend who is still learning as well, so having somebody who shares similar beliefs would be lovely.

October
September 13th, 2007, 09:46 PM
If you are a NEWBIE - what are you looking for in mentoring?

Extensive patience, knowledge, and accessability. I tend to get along really well with teachers that are a bit hard-assed but approachable. Too lenient and I won't get round to the work--too hard and I won't bother; vague knowledge or too many contradictory theories confuse and irritate me. Also, I tend to worry about asking too many stupid questions. Hehe.

I just now discovered Celtic recon. I'm a history nut and have a passion for the Celts; indeed, I intend to devote my life to studying them. I think that sums it up nicely.

Is there a particular path you want to learn about,

Celtic Recon.

do you need someone to help you understand how you're feeling about Paganism?

Not really. I have passion, I just need direction and channeling.

What are you expecting?

No idea. Authenticity, mostly.

I have no idea how to go about researching it myself.

Loukhos
September 14th, 2007, 09:03 AM
-what are you looking for in mentoring? What do you hope to learn/find/experience?

I'm looking for someone I can learn from, someone who could share their experiences with me.

-Is there a particular path you want to learn about, do you need someone to help you understand how you're feeling about Paganism?

There is no specific path I'm leaning towards at this time.

-What are you expecting?

Guidance, advice. :)

-And why do you want to work with a mentor?

I don't know any pagans, so I don't really have anyone to turn to for advice. I also think you can learn a lot more from a person than you could from a book.

ShaylaK
September 14th, 2007, 09:37 AM
I am very interested in the Celtic Recon, but have been having a lot of problems getting started.Some of the suggested books are out of print and the prices on those used books is getting quite expensive.I would like to have a mentor who has those resources and would be able to guide me through the basics.There is also a lot of conflicting info out there, making it very confusing.

I would hope to get enough basic info to get me headed in the right direction.I pretty much know where I want to go with it, I just would like someone who can help me get the information I am looking for.

Autumn Clair
September 14th, 2007, 10:05 AM
MENTOR -
* What do you hope to offer newbies? For those just starting out it's hard to find what your looking for. First I'd give basic simple instruction, answer questions and hopefully help them with hands on events such as one on one interpretations, exercises they could do to improve their abilities. I'd like to have a chance to really get to know the members I'm mentoring, build a friendship so that we're both comfortable. Maybe give them a few other things they could work on such as with dream interpretation, meditation with focus and visualization is very important. If mentoring in Breastfeeding I'd be will to help with techniques to use as well and with all mentoring comes lending an ear when they just need to talk or vent, having someone who understand your situations and will support you is the best thing.

* What experience do you have in Paganism and especially in working with others? I'm a Dream Analyst. I also counsel people in this area as well as Breastfeeding. I'm a counsellor for WIC.

* What motivates you to help others? What do you hope to gain from a relationship with a newbie? I enjoy working with others with Dreams and Divinations as well as breastfeeding. I find dream interpretation to be something I really enjoy doing and counselling others really makes me feel I've giving back.
I look forward to mentoring others in divination as it's a very exciting way to make friends and have fun trying something new as in cooking with herbs you can swap recipes. I've also had three children of my own and three very different experiences breastfeeding. At this point I still breast feed my 2 year old daughter who is in the process of being taken off now. She had a hard time with Soy and other milks so I nursed her the longest out of the three. Support, an ear, helpful tips and techniques, and a new friend I can offer in all areas of mentoring. And along the way I'm sure I'll learn things as well as all are different and I love learning too.

Zephyrstorm
September 14th, 2007, 11:23 AM
Hi guys,

If you are a MENTOR - what do you hope to offer newbies?

A listening ear, a guiding friend. It can be scary to face a new world, and exciting and a half-dozen other things. If I can be able to offer a way to approach the diversity of Paganism, I'm happy to do so. If they learn nothing else, I hope that they learn to believe in themselves. :)

What experience do you have in Paganism and especially in working with others?

I was the president of my college PSA, and have a study group that I lead locally now. In the past, I have led discussions for various informal groups before I moved here.
I'm still involved in the PSA, and serve as a minion of the current president. _whistle_

Do you have a teaching background, are you just a great counsellor, or have you studied counselling?

I've been told I'm good with counseling others, and I have done informal research into psychology, sociology, anthropology and counseling. Before I found Art History I was on a degree program to be a sociologist.

What motivates you to help others?

In helping them, not only do I hopefully give them guidance, but I also learn from them. Being a newbie does not mean that their insights are not jewels. Additionally, the Gods have given me so much, I hope to give back to the universe somehow, and this is one way for me to do that.

What do you hope to gain from a relationship with a newbie?

See above. I'm always interested in learning from others. If friendship and the like also form, fantastic. :weirdsmil

Z

BlackLili
September 18th, 2007, 02:18 PM
If you are a MENTOR - what do you hope to offer newbies? What experience do you have in Paganism and especially in working with others? Do you have a teaching background, are you just a great counsellor, or have you studied counselling? What motivates you to help others? What do you hope to gain from a relationship with a newbie?

what do you hope to offer newbies?
I like talking to people and helping other understand concepts. When I began studying energy-work and alternative faiths, I found myself having to slog through a great pile of inaccurate fluffy hogwash passing itself off as Recon or OTO, and not fully understanding the basis of why some faiths were so rigid in their structure and why others seemed so easygoing. Mostly, I hope to help others separate the wheat from the chaff in their own journey to their path.

What experience do you have in Paganism and especially in working with others?
I have been a Pagan, and formally as a Witch for more than a decade. My religious path began in an all-girls convent school, before branching out into undergraduate comparative theology studies throughout my University years. As for working with others, I am a registered minister in Ohio and Virginia, and any state that shows reciprocity with them and have been performing rites of passage (marriages, baptisms, funerals) as a Pagan minister for the last 6 years. I am not a part of any coven, and only identify my own path as American Witchcraft, but I have worked intermittently with other magick/energy users in groups and singularly for the duration of my Journey.

Outside of faith and spiritualism, I also have experience in coaching both children and adults for more than seven years in the sport of rowing - a coaching-intensive situation, if anyone's familiar. ;)

What motivates you to help others?
As I said, when I began my path, there was a long period of separating fiction from fact. Many people argue that because magick and faith are so subjective, you cannot empirically separate fiction out from it. There are still realities that have to be faced and dealt with, even in magick, and hard work with a lack of immediate "bam! zap!" results is one of the realities that newbies can use some help dealing with.

Mostly, I just want to listen and be there for someone else who is just starting their path because its interesting and will help renew my interest in my own faith.

What do you hope to gain from a relationship with a newbie?
I'm hoping that someone who wants to work with me will have as much to teach me as they want to learn. Everyone has something to add.

magicalfantasy
October 22nd, 2008, 03:15 PM
What are you looking for in mentoring?
I'm looking for someone who can not only help me in my spiritual development, but in my personal development as well. I feel that a mentor shouldn't be someone who teaches you only one thing. I feel that a mentor should be able to teach you many things including not just about religion, but about life. I also believe that a mentor should be someone who can help you in a psychological sense as well. Not a psychologist or anything, but a canfidante. For example, I personally am five months pregnant and nowhere nar ready to take care of a baby. But the last thing I'm going to do is give it up. I feel that psychologically, I'm lost. I don't know who I am, I never have. I was raised sheltered and immediately rebelled at the first chance I got to break away. I was never able to do true soul searching, and because of this, I don't know who I am or why I even exist. I'm not looking for someone to be able to tell me these things, but I am looking for someone who knows themself enough to be able to help guide me to a place where I can become like that as well. That's really the first thing I want to know, and I feel that everything will fall into place after I cross that line.

In terms of religion, I want to learn to heal. I want to be able to help comfort people because no one could do it for me. I want to learn Herbalism, crystals, divination, candle magick, and really just the basics. I want to learn how everything works so that I can use it in my favor and to my own advantage. I don't even know the difference between north, south, east, and west, and I know for a fact that those play a large role in rituals and spells. Basically, I want to start from the very beginning and work my way up from there.
In terms of life, I want someone who has had kids before and can help me be a better mother while still working on finding myself in the process. I want someone who can guide me in both aspects because I don't have someone in my family who can help me. (Everyone in my family is clinically mental. That, or are all drug addicts and partyers and I don't want them to teach me how to be a mom because they can't even take care of their own kids.)

Is there a particular path you want to learn about?
Not at the moment. I want to study all the different paths a bit before I decide which one I would like to study more in-depth than the others.

Do you need someone to help you understand how you're feeling about Paganism?
Yes, I do. As of now, I'm really not sure why I'm Pagan and I hope that someone will be able to help me figure it out.

What are you expecting?
Well, as I've stated above, I believe a mentor should be someone who can guide you in many areas of your life, not just spiritual. Mentors aren't teachers, exactly. And they should act or be treated as such. In some cases, yes, they are teachers. But in other ways, they're not. I mean, you can't give homework on life, can you?

At this point I'm so lostin the game that I can't get out on my own. I can't neccessarily go out and buy a ton of books to read because I don't have a job and right now I'm living off financial aid for college that I'm not really sure how often I'll get. I want to work with a mentor because this isn't something I can learn on my own. I don't have people around me who can guide me through, so I don't know the difference between something that is or isn't true. I feel that having a mentor could help me piece through things so I know what to believe.

Anubisa
November 4th, 2008, 09:38 PM
I hope to offer all Newbies help with their experiences and information on anything they wish to ask me. I am willing to do the research, so I would be willing to answer anything they ask. I have had 12 years experience in Paganism and I am a solitary. However, I have worked with others over the internet and I would be willing to work with everyone. No. I do not have a teaching or counselling background. What motivates me to help others is the thought the satisfaction that the person will be learning and I will be helping them. To learn myself. I believe we never stop learning. I may learn something new.