PDA

View Full Version : MENTORS & NEWBIES - Creating Connections

RainInanna
September 19th, 2007, 11:03 AM
Hi guys,

I've had a PM or two about this and just wanted to mention that you need not wait for me to make matches between mentors & newbies.

I am hoping having a public forum for discussion will enable everyone to get to know eachother better as mentors and newbies and be able to reach out and create connections.

For example I hope to see newbies read through the mentor threads, to find a mentor that seems to fit what they're looking to learn or how they want to learn, and send them a message. And I hope mentors who are willing to help newbies will do the same - send a message and offer assistance to a newbie they feel they can help out.

We have a lot of brilliant folks here and friendly people - hopefully this forum will help us learn more about eachother and find people to connect with. As always you are welcome to send me a message with any comments, questions, or requests for help matching up with someone, but I think folks will be able to find eachother here too.

RainInanna
September 19th, 2007, 11:13 AM
That said, here are some things to think about when you are looking to make a match. It's not that one way or another is better, just that often having similarities between mentors and newbies helps create a better relationship. It's good to compare personality traits, aspects of how you practice, expectations, etc. to figure out what might be a good mentor/newbie relationship for you.

This list is written for newbies looking for mentors, but obviously if you turn the points around you can use them as a mentor looking for newbies too:

1. Learning and teaching styles - If you like to learn in a structured way with specific lesson plans, you'll want to find a mentor who teaches in an organized and planned way. But if you like to just relax and try exercises, or just want to bounce ideas off someone, look for a mentor who teaches that way.

2. Ritual style - If you're into spontaneous, eclectic rituals, you might not want a mentor who sticks to rigid ceremonial rituals, or who only does rituals within a certain path (ie. Kemetic daily rite). On the other hand, if you want to become a ceremonial magician, maybe someone who does spontaneous eclectic rituals isn't your best match.

3. Pantheon/Path - Along the lines of the previous point, there are different practices when working with pantheons - if you want to work with God and Goddess, you may not wish to work with a mentor who does daily rite only with specific Kemetic deities. Or if you want to learn about Celtic deities, well I'm sure you can find a mentor who does too!

4. Expectations - If you have lots of time to practice, and your mentor has lots of "homework" for you, great. Or if you have kids, classes, and work, that's great too, as long as your mentor realizes you may not have as much time to dedicate to spirituality. If you would like a mentor who can set aside an hour a week just to talk on instant messenger, that's great too, if the mentor can manage it.

5. Personal history - If you came to Paganism from another religion that made you feel oppressed and angry, it might help to find a mentor who's been there too and understands. Or maybe you were raised as a Pagan and it would be great to find a mentor who was raised like that too.

Maryanne
February 18th, 2008, 09:14 AM
Hi I am maryanne and looking to learn all I can, a seeker for sure. I feel i am being drawn to the Green/Hedge witch, Faery Seership. I am also interested in Celtic deities. I am of Irish descent. Fascinated by runes tarot though i have not attempted much. I am addicted to the scent of lavender and the earth after a warm summer rain. I LOVE to read. I am trying to meditate everyday but habve trouble with distractions. Will journal but not sure how to start. Will do homework and practise of course because how do you learn if not? Any advice is appreciated! My user name is WRONG as listed but do not know how to change it to maryanne. Very interested in shamanism, totem animals and spirit guides. Husband is part cherokee. Thanks in advance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!