PDA

View Full Version : Spiritual crochet or knitting

Windsmith
September 20th, 2007, 04:13 PM
Here's a question for those of us here who crochet or knit: do you consider your crocheting or knitting to be a part of your spiritual or magical practice? If so, is it all the time or just when you're making something overtly "witchy," like a knitted Goddess figure or a crocheted pentacle shawl or the like?

Or is it just a hobby?

azarathine
September 20th, 2007, 04:34 PM
Initially, it was just a hobby, but it wasn't long before I realized that knitting was probably the best meditation technique I'd ever tried! I mean, it's less so when I'm doing a super complex project where I have to constantly refer to a piece of paper. But if I'm doing continual garter or stockinette, or when I'm doing a pattern that I eventually memorize, then it's just like meditation. I really love it. I can just keep going and going, and my mind remains clear. Or else I can hear myself subvocalizing 'knit one, purl two, knit one, purl two..." and it's like a crazy knitting manta. =D

I think I first realized this when I was knitting a hat and watching/listening to an episode of Kung Fu. =D

Knitting meditation does not apply to dpn's, however. Fighting with a wooden octopus is not calming. XD

moonbride
September 21st, 2007, 08:14 AM
I think anything I create with my own hands is a part of my spiritual practice... but that goes especially for knitting and crochet. I do both.

As azarathine said, it's very meditative to knit (and crochet). You get moving on a piece and you kind of just lose yourself in the project. I find myself reciting in my mind a little mantra as well when there is a pattern to my project. And to add to that, especially when my project is a gift for someone, I focus on love and peace going into that gift as I create the fabric. I don't know... it's hard to explain but I can definitely say that it's a part of my spiritual practice.

azarathine
September 21st, 2007, 09:17 AM
And to add to that, especially when my project is a gift for someone, I focus on love and peace going into that gift as I create the fabric. I don't know... it's hard to explain but I can definitely say that it's a part of my spiritual practice.

Oh, yes, that is especially true. I always want my gifts for others to be full of the best energy I can offer.
I knitted my tarot card bag this way as well.

RavenStars
September 22nd, 2007, 12:18 AM
I wonder if the question would get a bit more input if you were to address all crafts and art work? I don't knit or chochet, I do collage and scrapbooking mostly but I just recently started a multimedia project.

It really varies for me. Sometimes I drift into that place of wonder, hope, and curiosity, where the next step isn't something about fear. That's when I know I've transcended my mental and spiritual bonds... when I know I am part of all that is holy.

halfwaynowhere
September 22nd, 2007, 01:01 AM
I don't think its a spiritual thing for me... knitting definitely is not relaxing for me, I tend to stab myself with the pointy needles, and my stitches are always too tight, so I'm too tense when I knit. Crochet is pretty relaxing, and I do occassionally work it into a spell or something, but I'm pretty passive about it, if that makes sense...

moonbride
September 24th, 2007, 06:47 AM
I don't think its a spiritual thing for me... knitting definitely is not relaxing for me, I tend to stab myself with the pointy needles, and my stitches are always too tight, so I'm too tense when I knit. Crochet is pretty relaxing, and I do occassionally work it into a spell or something, but I'm pretty passive about it, if that makes sense...

Well I don't stab myself or anything when I knit LOL.... but I DO tend to get tense when I knit sometimes. It sneaks up on me and I don't notice it... so it is still a sort of spiritual practice and very meditative... but it's later on after I've knit for a while and I'm done... ready to relax... that I feel the tension from knitting earlier.

I just knit a ton yesterday and boy was I feeling it last night and still this morning. I need to try and recognize that I'm doing it I suppose... and stop it! LOL