PDA

View Full Version : My atheism is broken, I think.

Shanti
September 20th, 2007, 11:58 PM
I have a delema.
Gods, god, those words to me are of a human based entity that passes judgement and rules onto humans. I grew up in Parochial school. So the word god doesn't work for me.

Yet I believe in Brahman.
But not as the god like entity I was taught in Catholic school.
To me Brahman is the same as my perception of the Tao.
A power that is all. All that is seen and unseen. All that is physical and not physical.
Its a power of time and no time of the full and empty. Its is the power that is.
A power beyond the physical minds capacity to comprehend.

From there I have always believed in the Hindu deities but not with the perception of god that I was taught.
They are more like a extended spirit family. They can be called for help and guidance they can lend a hand or not. They have their own free will too. They are wise and knowing. In my perspective I see them as wise elders. And they have purpose just as we all do whether small or of great importance and some are kind and some harsh just as any human elder can be of the gentle type or be of a more callous flavor. Some will work with you, some against, just like people. But they are not people. They are entities beyond the simple human species of existence.
They are spirit. Experienced in flesh and non-flesh. Heck, they have been around the block!

Are these spiritual extended family elders superior beings? I feel that they are superior to us simply because we are stuck in flesh and thus limited.
Are they superior to mans spirit? Maybe, maybe not. I think it all depends on the spirit they are being compared too.
Some of them have manifested before as man. So it all depends on the human I would think.
Life is spirit evolving, who knows what point of evolution any living thing is at in any particular time frame. It will know itself when its time for its transition to whatever.

God, goddess, the like, just doesn't work for me. I just cant disconnect the god based words with the Christian teachings.

I feel comfortable with entity.
Some entities are most wise and very evolved, some not so much.
They have conscious free will.

The one power that is all is the one that is and it is consciousness and non consciousness, its all that is manifest and all that is not, it is literally everything including the nothing.

I decided the other day to start studying Hinduism in detail.
I have a thread somewhere. Cause the first thing I wanted to do was pull out the common beliefs all forms, perspectives, sects share. A base point.
Since then I have been researching all different variations of it.
I have always known the general basics but I decided to study it thoroughly hoping to find an answer for myself.
I have found my perception of Brahman is shared by others.
But I cant find any other terms for the word god since all the literature I have been reading is in English.
I read god and I think dogma, hell and judgement. That's not Hinduism.

I am re-analyzing myself, even going back many years, pulling out my old Taoist, Buddhist and Hindu books.
So if you ever wonder if its ok to re-think your own perspectives, re-evaluate your own path, break down your entire life's beliefs, perhaps many times, I would say its ok.
I do it every now and again and it always gives me new learning and sometimes re-enforces my own ideals I have always have, which is a good feeling too.

Ok back to my dilemma, is my perspective messed up when it comes to my not feeling that 'god' fits for me?
I feel like an atheist because I dont buy the god or deity idea.
But I recognize these wise ones of spirit that I look to as leaders and great elders.
And I recognize the one that is everything and nothing too.

Oh JFI, after I am done re-hashing the old brain, I do plan to turn next to my meditations and other workings.

Aelfred
October 1st, 2007, 09:40 AM
One problem I see with the Abrahamic concept of God is how they combined Brahmanic attributes like omnipotence and omnipresence with fallible attributes like jealosy, anger, obsession, etc. I understand the gods and goddesses to be more like saints or archangels, objects of devotion. There should definitely be a distinction made between gods and Brahman.

Brigid Rowan
October 1st, 2007, 09:46 AM
Shanti,

I read your post, and feel A LOT of the same things you do...but was never able to put it into words...like the ideas were all there, but hard to express. What you said about "wise elders", and us being stuck in the mortal form...parts of that just resonate so strongly with me. I hear you.

I have a hard time with the God/Hellfire/etc stuff to...it literally creates in me a feeling of unease, and hollowness. It makes me feel sad..when I think of my faith NOW, as opposed to my Christian upbringing (not harping on Christians, but as hard as I tried, the whole thing just didnt seem to work for me...), there is an immediate feeling of peace, joy, and a smile. Words and memories have powerful associations with them.

Im fascinated t see where this path takes you...I'll be watching, and learning, too.

Brigid

Shanti
October 1st, 2007, 10:03 AM
Shanti,

I read your post, and feel A LOT of the same things you do...but was never able to put it into words...like the ideas were all there, but hard to express. What you said about "wise elders", and us being stuck in the mortal form...parts of that just resonate so strongly with me. I hear you.

I have a hard time with the God/Hellfire/etc stuff to...it literally creates in me a feeling of unease, and hollowness. It makes me feel sad..when I think of my faith NOW, as opposed to my Christian upbringing (not harping on Christians, but as hard as I tried, the whole thing just didnt seem to work for me...), there is an immediate feeling of peace, joy, and a smile. Words and memories have powerful associations with them.

Im fascinated t see where this path takes you...I'll be watching, and learning, too.

Brigid

My path has taken me back, to the beginning.
Its hard to explain, well maybe impossible, but my path is starting all over again.
Sometimes you cant go forward till you go back.

One thing I know, I cant just place myself in a line of definitions. Path doesn't even work.
I am just me...not a path.
So, I am going back to the start, when I realized the me so I can re-align my physical existence with the true me, my spirit self.

Time to wipe the board clean and start at blank.

Brigid Rowan
October 1st, 2007, 10:11 AM
My path has taken me back, to the beginning.
Its hard to explain, well maybe impossible, but my path is starting all over again.
Sometimes you cant go forward till you go back.

One thing I know, I cant just place myself in a line of definitions. Path doesn't even work.
I am just me...not a path.
So, I am going back to the start, when I realized the me so I can re-align my physical existence with the true me, my spirit self.

Time to wipe the board clean and start at blank.

That makes TOTAL sense to me. Not to sound trite, but seasons cycle, the moon waxes and wanes, tides come in and go out...fresh beginnings, cycles, those are all part of nature, I see no reason why our lives dont have times when something pulls and presses us, too. Maybe there are points where it all makes sense, but slowly becomes too cluttered, or unbalanced, or whatever it may be..and just like a good spring cleaning, we are well served to toss and clean and get back down to fresh-washed basics...sometimes to find that even those 'basics' might have altered themselves too. Maybe its like a snake, shedding its skin.