PDA

View Full Version : Review: The LS Medieval

blackroseivy
September 29th, 2007, 07:30 PM
The LS stands for Lo Scarabeo.

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/medieval/

I have just got it, I have been working with it & I find that it grows upon me more & more the more I do.

It is a fully illustrated deck; however, watch out for it - this is NOT a RWS clone. For that reason I do not highly recommend it to beginners - it's just too different from what else is out there. It's the antique Italian Justice VIII, Strength XI.

It has a LWB that is in several languages (English, Italian, French, Spanish & German) - however, it has these little gems of meanings in it that are precious. For the pips, there is a word followed b y an illuminating explanation.

The cards are the small-standard size ( I don't have anything to measure, but roughly 2 1/2"x5", I think that's right). The usual misfortune is in their busy borders -they are notorious for all the languages going around the borders at LS.

Guido Zibordi is the artist; he also did the Giotto & the Brueghel Tarots. They are very beautiful - quite possibly done with acrylics, but however the feel of egg tempera is DEFINITLEY there (I should know! :D ).

Overall, I'd have to tell brand-new novices to be wary of this one - but it might work, IF you have a RWS alongside of it; because, as I said, this deck has its own ideas which sometimes relate, sometimes do a tangent thing, & sometimes are just all the way out there.

If you have at least gone through your paces with the more standard decks (Thoth & Marseilles are included in this category, though RWS always is what I recommend to learn on), I DEFINITELY & most highly recommend this deck. The readings I have had so far have been kind of playful in an intense way, definitely not mincing anything but having a sense of humor.

PeatBog
October 8th, 2007, 09:19 PM
Thanks for the review. I've been interested in this deck for it's medieval theme, but wonder about the minors. Can you give a couple examples of minors cards that differ from RWS?

blackroseivy
October 9th, 2007, 04:26 PM
Oh, MOST of them do! But I will come back with the deck in hand & give examples.

blackroseivy
October 13th, 2007, 03:23 PM
I will get more specific soon - I'm away from home & don't have the deck on me as it happens. ;)

PeatBog
October 25th, 2007, 02:44 AM
No hurries.