PDA

View Full Version : Are all Dianic's Wiccan?

David19
October 1st, 2007, 10:24 AM
This is something I'm confused about, are Dianic's Wiccan or are there some who are simply Goddess worshippers, and don't count themselves as Wiccan (and also are all Dianic's witches, or are there some who don't work or believe in magic, but just worship The Goddess?).

Thanks for any help, as it's something I'm confused about.

Philosophia
October 1st, 2007, 10:31 AM
Some are Wiccan, some are witches, some are Goddess worshipers, some practice magic, some don't, etc. but the unifying factor is the worship of a Goddess, seasonal sabbats, etc.. The Dianic path is wide and varied with a lot of different subsections (kinda like Wicca and Reconstructionism). For me, I am a Dianic witch (not Wiccan). I know many who are also Dianic witches, but also many who are Dianic Wiccans. It really depends on which Dianic you talk to.

(sorry if this doesn't make any sense but I'm really tired right now).

Snapdragon
October 1st, 2007, 10:36 AM
A slight clarification to what Philosophia just said: a Dianic is someone who worships only the Goddess, goddesses, or the sacred feminine. There can be recognition of Difference (whether expressed as gender), but all Dianics hold in common the exclusive focus on Her.

BenSt
October 1st, 2007, 12:06 PM
A slight clarification to what Philosophia just said: a Dianic is someone who worships only the Goddess, goddesses, or the sacred feminine. There can be recognition of Difference (whether expressed as gender), but all Dianics hold in common the exclusive focus on Her.

I would disagree. I dont think you encapsulated what Philosophia said. Philosophia said worship of a Goddess... not THE GODDESS (which is a Wiccan construct).

I know Dianics who worship a male God as well as... but with more focus on their Goddess of choice. It does not mean they do not worship a God at all.

Dianic Wicca... and Dianic Paganism are varied... but one unifying factor would definitly be an emphasis on the study of Gender and Gender stereotypes. Atleast that is my experiance.

Snapdragon
October 1st, 2007, 01:45 PM
My intent was neither to "encapsulate" nor to in any sense correct what Philosophia said; that out of the way, I will state that your view is the very first one I've encountered where 'Dianic' included worship of male energy or gods.

Lunacie
October 1st, 2007, 03:03 PM
It is also my understanding that some Dianics recognize and honor the male gods, but their focus and their worship is for the female goddesses.

And the idea of THE Goddess is not a traditional or historic Wiccan concept, it is a major simplification which became a new tradition due to some people publishing less than accurate material.

alwaysfallingup
October 1st, 2007, 03:44 PM
I can't speak for others, because, as mentioned in the above posts, Dianics all define themselves very differently, but I consider myself to be a Dianic Witch, not a Dianic Wiccan. Wicca was just never a good fit for me, but the Sacred Feminine called to me loud and clear.

David19
October 1st, 2007, 07:33 PM
Thanks to everyone for the great replies, it really is helping me to understand.

It is also my understanding that some Dianics recognize and honor the male gods, but their focus and their worship is for the female goddesses.

And the idea of THE Goddess is not a traditional or historic Wiccan concept, it is a major simplification which became a new tradition due to some people publishing less than accurate material.

From what I've read, didn't traditional Wiccan's only refer to their goddess and their god as "The" Goddess and "The" God because they can't say there names in public, and then people just assumed that that they worshipped gods with no names or that they believed "all gods were one, all goddesses were one goddess", etc.

Lunacie
October 1st, 2007, 08:01 PM
Thanks to everyone for the great replies, it really is helping me to understand.

From what I've read, didn't traditional Wiccan's only refer to their goddess and their god as "The" Goddess and "The" God because they can't say there names in public, and then people just assumed that that they worshipped gods with no names or that they believed "all gods were one, all goddesses were one goddess", etc.

There were several mistaken assumptions from people who didn't do their research before publishing inaccurate information or spreading inaccurate information to their students.

EvieLee
October 1st, 2007, 08:49 PM
From my understanding, Dianic Wiccans are, generally speaking, those that place the Goddess (whoever that may be for them) above the God in worship. This can be seen in the way the God is included as consort in some Wheel myths.

But on the other hand, Z Budapests original tradition was Dianic Wicca or Feminist Wicca (I forget which) and made no mention of any Gods. So I would say that the various definitions behind the various Dianic paths has changed over the years and different Dianics define themselves differently.

And to throw more wood on the fire, I'm purely Dianic Pagan. No witch, no Wiccan. Just Pagan.

Snapdragon
October 2nd, 2007, 10:10 AM
I'm glad you mentioned Z Budapest; though I didn't say so, my own experience with Dianics when I entered the Craft, was that they were not only female-only in their worship, but also separatist.

Things do change. And there are many traditions...more all the time.

EvieLee
October 2nd, 2007, 08:42 PM
I'm glad you mentioned Z Budapest; though I didn't say so, my own experience with Dianics when I entered the Craft, was that they were not only female-only in their worship, but also separatist.

Things do change. And there are many traditions...more all the time.

You're exactly right. Z's Holy Book was one of the first books I read and it had me thinking there was a lesbian component to the path. Now, though I suspect I'm still in the minority as a straight woman, the Dianic paths aren't so much about gay rights as they once were, IMHO.