PDA

View Full Version : The name "Dianic"

MoonBreath
October 6th, 2007, 12:50 PM
Why was the goddess Diana's name chosen to be the title for more goddess centered Wicca? i hope this question makes sense. i know what i wanna ask, i just hope it makes sense typied out! :weirdsmil

Snapdragon
October 6th, 2007, 02:24 PM
Your question makes perfect sense--and maybe one of the reasons was that it's easier to say than "Hecatean Wicca" or "Aphroditean Wicca."

More seriously, though, Diana (the Huntress) is seen a powerful and free figure. Beyond that, I couldn't say, as I don't know the Greek myths well enough to say what became of Diana, etc...and there may very well be additional explanation at just that point.

Does someone else have clarification to offer?

Theres
October 6th, 2007, 02:43 PM
Diana is Roman, not Greek.

the Greek goddess Artemis is powerful, chaste, and is a nature goddess who rules the areas "not touched by the hand of man", although i believe this last part more correctly refers to wild nature as opposed to agriculture, and is not meant to be taken a sweeping dismissal of the male species.

imo.

teishabee
October 6th, 2007, 03:07 PM
http://www.mysticwicks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=331

Aradia, Gospel of the Witches

The actual authenticy of this script is always up in debate but it referances Dianic witchcraft.

Snapdragon
October 6th, 2007, 09:06 PM
Diana is Roman, not Greek.

the Greek goddess Artemis is powerful, chaste, and is a nature goddess who rules the areas "not touched by the hand of man", although i believe this last part more correctly refers to wild nature as opposed to agriculture, and is not meant to be taken a sweeping dismissal of the male species.

imo.

Ah, just so. Same as the Romans renamed Aphrodite "Venus".

teishabee
October 7th, 2007, 10:00 AM
I see Venus as being for less of a better word, a more developed Aphrodite.

After all the romans venerated (excuse the venus pun) the greek culture.

MoonBreath
October 8th, 2007, 01:25 PM
thanks so much to everyone who responded, and thanks teishabee for the links you supplied. I haven't read them yet, but i'll try to soon! :spinnysmi

teishabee
October 8th, 2007, 03:32 PM
Well I must recommend it. I think I might even read it again.

Strawberry Bounce
October 13th, 2007, 07:48 PM
Z Budapest says Diana means "Holy Mother" & she loves the name. Then she went on to say that the Dianic tradition honors every Goddess. IMO "Holy Mother" covers all bases. So it makes perfect sense to me.

Philosophia
October 13th, 2007, 08:10 PM
Just a little information: Venus and Aphrodite are not the same Goddesses. While Venus absorbed some of Aphrodite's, she is different.