PDA

View Full Version : Hillary Neither Understands Nor Has Defended the Constitution

Snapdragon
October 7th, 2007, 12:47 PM
How Congress Forgot Its Own Strength

By MARIO M. CUOMO
Published: October 7, 2007

SENATORS Jim Webb of Virginia and Hillary Clinton of New York are right to demand that the president go before Congress to ask for a “declaration of war” before proceeding with an attack against Iran or any other nation. But there is no need for this demand to be put into law, as the two Democrats and their colleagues are seeking to do, any more than there is need for legislation to guarantee our right of free speech or anything else protected by the Constitution.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/07/opinion/07cuomo.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

banondraig
October 7th, 2007, 12:50 PM
How Congress Forgot Its Own Strength

By MARIO M. CUOMO
Published: October 7, 2007

SENATORS Jim Webb of Virginia and Hillary Clinton of New York are right to demand that the president go before Congress to ask for a “declaration of war” before proceeding with an attack against Iran or any other nation. But there is no need for this demand to be put into law, as the two Democrats and their colleagues are seeking to do, any more than there is need for legislation to guarantee our right of free speech or anything else protected by the Constitution.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/07/opinion/07cuomo.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

the link requires registration.

While it's true that there already is a law for that, it has been ignored for over forty years.

Would this resolution strengthen or weaken the Constitution?

Laisrean
October 7th, 2007, 02:31 PM
I say politicians need to be quized on the constitution before they take office. They should have to take some sort of test where the questions are never exactly the same so they can't cheat, and if they don't receive a passing grade then they are not sworn in.

Didn't Hillary have to swear an oath to uphold the constitution? How can she do that when she doesn't know that only congress has the power to make war?

banondraig
October 7th, 2007, 02:35 PM
Perhaps she is attempting to restrict the president to a formal declaration of war as opposed to an authorization for use of military force, in which case I have no problem with it.

Laisrean, that test thing is a great idea.

Laisrean
October 7th, 2007, 02:42 PM
While it's true that there already is a law for that, it has been ignored for over forty years.

Not just any law. Article 1, section 8 of the constitution:

The Congress shall have power To declare War

Would this resolution strengthen or weaken the Constitution?

I would say weaken it, because it would set the precedent that additional laws are needed to confirm what the constitution already states.

banondraig
October 7th, 2007, 02:49 PM
I would say weaken it, because it would set the precedent that additional laws are needed to confirm what the constitution already states.

Makes sense.

What about some form of specification that all military invasions undertaken must be authorized by a declaration of war?

Snapdragon
October 7th, 2007, 02:53 PM
The supine Congress effectively handed over the War Powers Act to the imperial chimp...remember? Of course, Hillary was among those doing the hand-off.

As for the link...that's the second time today that's happened, and each time it was a link I picked off the net, with my not having to register for anything...and I'm able to click and have it work for me, just like the other thing.

Is it this site that's having problems?

banondraig
October 7th, 2007, 03:05 PM
The supine Congress effectively handed over the War Powers Act to the imperial chimp...remember? Of course, Hillary was among those doing the hand-off.

As for the link...that's the second time today that's happened, and each time it was a link I picked off the net, with my not having to register for anything...and I'm able to click and have it work for me, just like the other thing.

Is it this site that's having problems?

Perhaps it's because you have your computer set to accept cookies, and others, (including myself) do not.

Snapdragon
October 7th, 2007, 07:30 PM
Perhaps it's because you have your computer set to accept cookies, and others, (including myself) do not.

That's got to be it.