PDA

View Full Version : What are your favorite Eastern quotes?

Cool Music Guy
October 10th, 2007, 02:03 PM
I have many....

Here is one that I just ran across...

"Since everything is but an illusion,
perfect in being as it is;
having no good or bad,
acceptance or rejection,
one may well burst into Laughter."

The Amityville Ghost
November 20th, 2007, 05:29 PM
"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind." - Mohandas K. Gandhi

Cool Music Guy
November 20th, 2007, 09:36 PM
"An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind." - Mohandas K. Gandhi

If I ever lose my eyes, then I won't have to cry no more...

Baobabtree
November 20th, 2007, 10:48 PM
Wow, I've completely forgotten about this thread. I've been meaning to post in it for awhile now, but I guess it just kept slipping my mind.

Anyways here's a poem by Ramprasad Sen that I find quiet beautiful myself-

You'll find Mother In any house.Do I dare say it in public?She is Bhairavi with Shiva,Durga with Her children,Sita with Lakshmana.She's mother, daughter, wife, sister -Every woman close to you.What more can Ramprasad say?You work the rest out from these hints.

The Amityville Ghost
November 29th, 2007, 02:49 PM
Here are some more of my personal favorites...

“This is my simple religion. There is no need for temples; no need for complicated philosophy. Our own brain, our own heart is our temple; the philosophy is kindness.”

- His Holiness, the Dalai Lama

Tolerance gives us spiritual insight, which is as far from fanaticism as the North Pole from the South.

True knowledge of religion breaks down the barriers between Faith and Faith. Cultivation of tolerance for other Faiths will impart to us a true understanding of our own. Tolerance obviously does not disturb the distinction between right and wrong, or good and evil.

The golden rule of conduct ... is mutual toleration, seeing that we will never all think alike and we shall always see Truth in fragment and from different angles of vision. Even amongst the most conscientious persons, there will be room enough for honest differences of opinion. The only possible rule of conduct in any civilised society is, therefore, mutual toleration.

- Mohandas K. Gandhi

"No religion basically believes that material progress alone is sufficient for humankind. All religions believe in forces beyond material progress. All agree that it is very important and worthwhile to make a strong effort to serve human society.

"To do this, it is important that we understand each other. In the past, due to narrow-mindedness and other factors, there has sometimes been discord between religious groups. This should not happen again. If we look deeply into the value of a religion in the context of the worldwide situation, we can easily transcend these unfortunate happenings. For, there are many areas of common ground on which we can have harmony. Let us just be side by side- helping, respecting, and understanding each other - in common effort to serve humankind. The aim of human society must be the compassionate betterment of human beings."

- His Holiness, the Dalai Lama

Baobabtree
February 16th, 2008, 06:51 PM
If you treat the opposite sex with reverence
will you pay a price?
If you stop your fault-finding and covetous ways
will your earnings not suffice?

If you sit in prayer and meditation
will it cost a living wage?
If you trust the words of realized souls
will your boss forget your pay?

Is it a burden to pursue wisdom?
Do you fear the price it brings?
Tuka says,
Fools worry about the little stuff.
Don't they know? God brings everything!- Tukaram

Agaliha
February 24th, 2008, 12:34 AM
Oh, there are tons that I've come across over the years-- I wish I cataloged them all! I'll see if I can find some and post them here :)

Theres
February 24th, 2008, 03:53 AM
i don't recall who said it, but i'll paraphrase here...

"There are two ways to have enough...
one is to aquire more, the other is to desire less."

this is a hard line to follow in a western consumerist society, but i try my best.