PDA

View Full Version : Blake - a prophet?

golddust
June 10th, 2002, 03:18 PM
William b;lake wrote a couple of poems that really seem to carry a very pagan message-
'Earth's answer' has Gaia awaking from sleep and shouting at the Christian god for the trouble he has caused to man, he also wrote an introduction to another poem similar to this that starts "in the future i prophet see" and goes on to decribe Earth awaking again-
Blake also spoke to angels , or angel like figures as a child and has since been diagnosed as schizophrenic-
fed up with christian beliefs he turned to a god that he 'invented' called Tirzah, yet he never stopped worshiping Jesus,
so do you guys think that Blake was psychic / was receiving a calling- or that Blake was just mad,- or both, his messages become more obscure and un-decipherable as he moves further away from christianity,
it's really been bugging me, and i'd really welcome any feedback,
ben

silverm00n
June 18th, 2002, 01:13 AM
I don't know if I'd call his stuff Pagan, but I can see why you'd say that. I don't think of Paganism as "Other" like seems to be the trend these days; I think of where the pagans came from and define it according to its origins, it's less political that way. His thing was more like questioning Christianity from the insider's perspective, which people really hate. He was probably in contact with some sort of spirit, like maybe he was a medium of sorts. Many writers act as mediums I think, some with less control than others. After a while you tend to lose perspective, which is a risk; one has to wonder though what's important enough for somebody to go so far. It's like, what was he really searching for? Those are the kind of things I think when I read his stuff. I don't think people are idiots, I think they're just curious

For some reason his stuff always reminds me of the dead sea scrolls; it just has that flavor.

Laisrean
November 24th, 2004, 12:18 PM
His painting of Nebuchadnezzer reminds me an awful lot of the capture of Saddam Hussein. A fallen tyrant with a long beard forced to live in the wild...

awyrdone
November 25th, 2004, 12:42 PM
He was probably born a mystic and became very pained by his marked difference to others. He probably was rasied in a restrictive upbringing among others who did not understand and felll apart wondering why God had cursed him so.
He's my favorite poet next to Rumi and Kahil Gibran.