PDA

View Full Version : Stop creationists' federal money grab

SSanf
October 12th, 2007, 07:00 PM
Help us stop federal funding earmarked for the Louisiana Family Forum (LFF), a group whose mission is to "persuasively present biblical principles in centers of influence" including public schools. The proposed earmark gives federal money to the LFF to be used for suggesting "improvements" to science education in Louisiana. It would also pay for the LFF to develop and distribute educational materials.

Biblical doctrine must not interfere with the accurate teaching of science. Bible stories are appropriately placed in religious education and comparative religion courses -- NOT in public school science classrooms.

If your Senator is a member of the Senate Appropriations Committee, please tell her or him to remove the Louisiana Family Forum earmark from S. 1710, the Fiscal Year 2008 Department of Labor, Health and Human Services, and Education, and Related Agencies Appropriation Bill’s Committee Report (the earmark falls under Title III, the Fund for Improvement of Education).

http://action.secular.org/dia/organizations/secular/campaign/?campaign_KEY=16118Atheist cause worth sharing.

SweetIsTheTruth
October 12th, 2007, 07:16 PM
Atheist cause worth sharing.

Ehh, I would place this one under the establishment clause, rather than an atheist cause. There's no reason at all why non-Christian kids should have this garbage forced down the throats of their children in the schools.

Here's what I don't get about this though. Given the decision in the Dover, PA schoolboard case in late 2005, I find it hard to believe any more of these practices can be considered legal. I had been under the impression the Dover case pretty much assured we wouldn't have to deal with this nonsense any further. On the other hand, if any particular community chooses to deny the Dover schoolboard case, then they will have to accept the near bankruptcy of their own school systems as the inevitable lawuits proceed, just as the Dover community did.

wolfjan1
October 12th, 2007, 07:40 PM
Ssanf, our differences in opinions have never separated us.
This is an issue going to the separation of church and state. If the government gives funds to a church related cause, when all churches should be paying taxes, this is another slap in the face to the freedoms of the American people.

HedwigHarfang
October 12th, 2007, 08:58 PM
Atheist cause worth sharing.

Ssanf, it is not just atheists who are in favour of proper science being taught in schools. If you don't mind me saying so, you don't look as if you are completely secular yourself...that is a lovely costume, but I suspect you also - like us :) - worship some form of god/goddess and adhere to a religion even if not the monotheistic God himself.

The Council of Europe (http://assembly.coe.int/Main.asp?link=/Documents/AdoptedText/ta07/ERES1580.htm) is also sponsoring a motion to make sure Europe stays on the scientific course.

SSanf
October 12th, 2007, 11:52 PM
I put it here because the Atheists are pushing this quite a bit.

It is one of the things going on in the Atheist community.

Of course, I think it should have all the support it can get.

Golias
November 7th, 2007, 09:05 PM
I put it here because the Atheists are pushing this quite a bit.

It is one of the things going on in the Atheist community.

Of course, I think it should have all the support it can get.

And I agree.

It's about separation of church and state. No religious group should be able to have its articles of faith forced upon everyone else.

As an atheist, I support freedom of religion. (as long as it includes freedon *from* religion. But I think you've all figured that out by now:weirdsmil)

Golias