PDA

View Full Version : Stephen Colbert: US Presidential Candidate?

Dawa Lhamo
October 17th, 2007, 03:55 PM
As reported on several news sites:

http://www.news.com/8301-13577_3-9798943-36.html

http://chronicle.com/blogs/election/811/a-colbert-candidacy-and-another-bush-term

http://www.wcbd.com/midatlantic/cbd/news.apx.-content-articles-CBD-2007-10-17-0013.html

Colbert formally announced on Tuesday's episode of his spoof talk show, The Colbert Report, that he intends to run for president. More specifically, he aims to get his name on the ballot for both the Democratic and Republican primaries in his home state of South Carolina as a "favorite son."

WELL... what do you all think? Is he serious (as serious as he gets) or is it to promote his book? ^_^

Pagan Warrior
October 17th, 2007, 04:02 PM
Let's not us forget http://www.comedycentral.com/motherload/player.jhtml?ml_video=118597&is_large=true

I'd vote for Colbert :)

I seriously doubt he's serious, but honestly he'd be an improvement!!!

Phoenix Blue
October 17th, 2007, 04:04 PM
WELL... what do you all think? Is he serious (as serious as he gets) or is it to promote his book? ^_^
Yes.

Wicce
October 17th, 2007, 04:15 PM
I don't think he's serious, and I don't want him to be! Being president would surely ruin his sense of humor.

Phoenix Blue
October 17th, 2007, 04:53 PM
What makes you say that? It obviously hasn't ruined Bush's.

Pagan Warrior
October 17th, 2007, 05:23 PM
:abanana:
What makes you say that? It obviously hasn't ruined Bush's.

Ooooohhh SNAP!!

Mesektet
October 17th, 2007, 05:27 PM
Does it matter if he is serious or not? We can all sit back and enjoy the ride regardless.

Sequoia
October 17th, 2007, 10:50 PM
Does it matter if he is serious or not? We can all sit back and enjoy the ride regardless.

QFT!

I have no idea if I would vote for him or not. We don't know his real personality, only the spoof we see on TV. He's obviously an intelligent guy, but it would be difficult to accurately pin down what is joking and what is seriousness.

In all fairness, I think I trust him more than the current candidates. Which... if you think about it, is kind of sad... :hmmmmm:

Pagan Warrior
October 17th, 2007, 11:45 PM
I'm watching him right now ... that whacky comedy newscaster ... he's filling out the Republican AND Democratic forms on TV. True or not that guy is funny!!

Valnorran
October 18th, 2007, 10:13 AM
Nor is this anything new. Anybody remember the Smothers Brothers? One of their performers, Pat Paulson, would run for president as part of his act. And yes, he really did run.

Mesektet
October 18th, 2007, 12:13 PM
The comedy potential of a "run" like this is equal or greater to that of Lyndon LaRouche's...

Look him up....its funny....

Caitlin.ann
October 18th, 2007, 04:40 PM
I'd vote for him.

Djiril
October 18th, 2007, 05:44 PM
I think the real reason he's doing this is that he has no choice. It would be completely out of character for him not to run for president!

Tadrith
October 19th, 2007, 05:38 PM
Reminds me of the Rhino Party.

banondraig
October 20th, 2007, 10:51 AM
Now I can write his name in instead of Foamy the Squirrel if I don't like the serious candidates.

phoenixrising
October 20th, 2007, 09:10 PM
QFT!

I have no idea if I would vote for him or not. We don't know his real personality, only the spoof we see on TV. He's obviously an intelligent guy, but it would be difficult to accurately pin down what is joking and what is seriousness.

In all fairness, I think I trust him more than the current candidates. Which... if you think about it, is kind of sad... :hmmmmm:

You know there are more than two canidates in an election.. not singling you out just making a point..

People complain about the Gov't and yet continue to vote for the same two parties.. if you don't like either of the major parties don't vote for the lesser of two evils, hell in that case I woudl rather you didn't vote.. one because you are taking two votes away from the canidate you should of voted for, and two because if you do that or vote straight ticket.. honestly I don't think you should have the right to vote... (WTB voting privilege test). Find the canidate.. not the party whose platform is the closest to what you want/your ideals and vote for them... If everybody voted for what they wanted the U.S. would be a much different place.

David19
October 21st, 2007, 01:16 PM
You know there are more than two canidates in an election.. not singling you out just making a point..

People complain about the Gov't and yet continue to vote for the same two parties.. if you don't like either of the major parties don't vote for the lesser of two evils, hell in that case I woudl rather you didn't vote.. one because you are taking two votes away from the canidate you should of voted for, and two because if you do that or vote straight ticket.. honestly I don't think you should have the right to vote... (WTB voting privilege test). Find the canidate.. not the party whose platform is the closest to what you want/your ideals and vote for them... If everybody voted for what they wanted the U.S. would be a much different place.

I agree with you, I think if you don't like a candidate, vote for another, I'm not American, so I don't know the U.S. political system too well, but are there any other parties besides Republican and Democrat? (if there aren't, really it's not much of a democracy if there's not much choice, is it?).

Also, if someone says they don't like either party but still vote for one of them, it's kind of hypocritical, IMO, and also they're vote will be wasted (if they don't agree with them in the first place, then the party won't be putting through any of your ideals), and also, it helps the parties anyway - they don't care whether you like them or not, just as long as you vote for them.

banondraig
October 21st, 2007, 01:34 PM
I agree with you, I think if you don't like a candidate, vote for another, I'm not American, so I don't know the U.S. political system too well, but are there any other parties besides Republican and Democrat? (if there aren't, really it's not much of a democracy if there's not much choice, is it?).

Also, if someone says they don't like either party but still vote for one of them, it's kind of hypocritical, IMO, and also they're vote will be wasted (if they don't agree with them in the first place, then the party won't be putting through any of your ideals), and also, it helps the parties anyway - they don't care whether you like them or not, just as long as you vote for them.

There are in fact several parties, but only the Republicans and the Democrats are consistently able to afford nationwide advertising, especially on television. Therefore they are the ones who get the lion's share of media attention. The major media outlets ignore all other parties unless their followings are very large, such as those of Ross Perot in 1992, or Ralph Nader in 2000.

Many people blame Ralph nader for Al Gore's loss of the 200 election, saying that if the people who had voted for Nader had instead voted for Gore, then Gore would have won. This perception that they are only "spoilers" has been another difficulty for additional parties.

Sequoia
October 21st, 2007, 05:29 PM
You know there are more than two canidates in an election..

And where in my post did I say that there were only two candidates to vote for? Seems to me that there are more than 10+ people in the running right now, at least.

Me, I vote for who matches my ideas best that I think can win. Fact is, you aren't going to find a perfect candidate, and you do have to make some sacrifices. Sometimes that sacrifice is picking someone more likely to win, rather than throwing your vote away on some granola-muncher off in the wings. Sadly, even if you agree somewhat with one of them (which I personally DON'T, hence why I don't vote for them), the likelihood of their being elected is close to nil. Stephen Colbert will get a bigger turnout than these guys.

And what do you know? Maybe having Stephen Colbert run will show them that a third party has a decent chance. Not likely, but it's possible.

Sequoia
October 21st, 2007, 05:34 PM

If you want to talk about how many actual parties there are, then sure, there are plenty. If you want to talk about how many parties with a chance in hell of being elected, you're talking about two. MAYBE three. Though I don't know if or when that third party has ever won.

No, our choices aren't the most democractic. We are largely run by Big Business and Big Politics, and the little guy - no matter how good or laughable he is - doesn't get a chance.

Sometimes it's more of a matter of trying to find the best match, not the perfect candidate. Surely you haven't agreed 100% with everything the candidate said that you voted for? (If you have, you're very lucky.) Most of the time, you have to pick the "lesser of X evils" and go for the one that you feel represents you best out of those choices. Because there honestly aren't that many to choose from, if you want more than a snowball's chance in hell of getting that candidate into office.

I would rather see a candidate in office that I agree with 50% or 70% than a candidate that I agree with 20%. Sometimes you have to make the grown-up adult decisions, and they aren't always perfect happy ones.

Pagan Warrior
October 22nd, 2007, 02:57 PM
Just an interesting interview with Stephen Colbert where he's more himself than his character.

Video: http://video.msn.com/video.aspx?mkt=en-US&brand=&vid=587c5ce7-d44c-4948-a71b-cfdcaee0e29f

Pagan Warrior
October 23rd, 2007, 08:21 PM
Stephen Colbert ... actually running for president???
http://video.msn.com/video.aspx?mkt=en-US&brand=&vid=0008f249-07a3-41e7-a1d5-3f7c120a5296

Another interesting interview with Colbert
http://video.msn.com/video.aspx?mkt=en-US&brand=&vid=99777ce6-6287-4fee-9f44-c60422d168df

BAAAHAHAHA Colbert on Gay Marriage!!!!
http://video.msn.com/video.aspx?mkt=en-US&brand=&vid=17e5b2fe-9105-486d-985f-d71255a562cb