PDA

View Full Version : Define Christianity....

Evinmeer
November 1st, 2007, 05:32 PM
.... as, in your opinion, it was meant to be.

WAHM-Brenda
November 1st, 2007, 07:11 PM
Well, I don't honestly believe that any of us really know what it was meant to be like anymore. That much I do believe. I also don't think that it was meant to be a new religion but a continuation of Judaism with Christ as the leader.

Evinmeer
November 2nd, 2007, 09:40 PM
Ok, so.... in your opinion Christianity should be.... undefined?

I guess I'll try to get the ball rolling then. IMO, Christianity should be defined as the literal interpretation of the meaning of "christian", that is "little Christ". It should be about following in Jesus' footsteps to the best of our abilities. Most importantly, being a Christian should mean we take our relationship with God with the same joy and reverence as any child with their parent.

That, imo, is what being a Christian ought to mean.

WAHM-Brenda
November 3rd, 2007, 08:46 AM
Sorry to see I'm the only 1 that answered you...
I find your interpretation interesting and true. The whole Christian thing should be based truly upon becoming more and more like Christ.

Evinmeer
November 3rd, 2007, 02:03 PM
Sorry to see I'm the only 1 that answered you...
[mini rant] Me too, but it actually proves my point to posting this thread - that far too many people who claim to walk a Christian path are clueless sheep simply following their parents' religion. They don't question; they don't think: they just trot happily along, swallowing every well-intentioned sermon and Sunday School lesson without ever taking them to heart. They do what they are told to do because it is easier not to question than it is to make up their own minds, and to take responsibility for their beliefs. Paganism isn't the only religion with fluffy-bunnies hopping aimlessly around, leaving little pellets everywhere and completely baffled as to why that should upset people on both sides of their religion! Grrrrrrr.... [/mini rant]

I guess for some people religion is just another stone they occasionally toss into their waters: it makes a few ripples, but soon everything goes back to way it was before. But I truly cannot comprehend the sense in such a temporary endeavor.

LacyRoze
November 3rd, 2007, 02:39 PM
Define Christianity- To love ones life by the examples of Christ..

Sorry I couldn't answer sooner.

LostSheep
November 3rd, 2007, 04:15 PM
I think the key is in the first part of the word: Christ; what he may have actually wanted people to do, rather than what the religion that was set up with his name (well, title, perhaps, I should say) attached to it but which doesn't really seem to have very much else to do with him. As i think it was George Bernard Shaw who said, "i think Christianity is a very good idea. I'd like to see it tried sometime."

This site has some interesting stuff , including this very topic... interesting stuff (http://www.explorefaith.org/questions/heart.html)

oh ....
far too many people who claim to walk a Christian path are clueless sheep :(

la tortuga
November 3rd, 2007, 04:27 PM
I think the key is in the first part of the word: Christ; what he may have actually wanted people to do, rather than what the religion that was set up with his name (well, title, perhaps, I should say) attached to it but which doesn't really seem to have very much else to do with him. As i think it was George Bernard Shaw who said, "i think Christianity is a very good idea. I'd like to see it tried sometime."

This site has some interesting stuff , including this very topic... interesting stuff (http://www.explorefaith.org/questions/heart.html)

oh .... :(

It doesn't mean all sheep are clueless, but some are. :)

In my opinion, Christianity is a new faith but it isn't a celebrated religion. I remember a quote in Kevin Smith's "Dogma" "You Catholics don't celebrate your faith, you mourn it" and it's true. Too much regret for things you've already done and can't change. God should not be mourned, but loved as a parent.

wolfjan1
November 3rd, 2007, 04:27 PM
Old testament 10 commandments, Plus compassion, Love thy neighbor as you would your self.
TRUE Christianity only exists in small pockets of people these days. Everything else is just window dressing for the need to comtrol other people's lives in unnatural and twisted ways. My Brother's wife was a true Christian. She embraced my gayness. She would give you the shirt off her back if you needed it. She visited the sick, and the Veterans. She was disabled as well. She and my brother raised her grandchild when her daughter took off on a coke binge for 5 years. She fed her neighbors who were about to lose their house, and made sure they had a BIG basket of food when they moved on. I miss her. My Brother misses her. She died this time last year.
She was an example of true Christianity.

LacyRoze
November 3rd, 2007, 04:34 PM
Old testament 10 commandments, Plus compassion, Love thy neighbor as you would your self.
TRUE Christianity only exists in small pockets of people these days. Everything else is just window dressing for the need to comtrol other people's lives in unnatural and twisted ways. My Brother's wife was a true Christian. She embraced my gayness. She would give you the shirt off her back if you needed it. She visited the sick, and the Veterans. She was disabled as well. She and my brother raised her grandchild when her daughter took off on a coke binge for 5 years. She fed her neighbors who were about to lose their house, and made sure they had a BIG basket of food when they moved on. I miss her. My Brother misses her. She died this time last year.
She was an example of true Christianity.

I say she was a shining example of what a Christian should be!!

LadyCelt
November 4th, 2007, 06:01 PM
When I say I am Christian, I mean I follow the words and teachings of Jesus. Now, the one true god to me means love, peace, what is good, etc. However, Christianity tends to quote and follow Paul the apostle over Jesus. Jesus was for equality for woman and others and Paul seemed to be the opposit.

LostSheep
November 5th, 2007, 04:32 AM
When I say I am Christian, I mean I follow the words and teachings of Jesus. Now, the one true god to me means love, peace, what is good, etc. However, Christianity tends to quote and follow Paul the apostle over Jesus. Jesus was for equality for woman and others and Paul seemed to be the opposit.

Exactly... and most fundamentalists, it seems, hardly take any notice of the New Testament at all, quoting from Exodus or Deuteronomy or whatever to back up whatever point they want to make, and that was maybe 2000 years before Jesus...

WAHM-Brenda
November 5th, 2007, 10:45 AM
Jesus was for equality for woman and others and Paul seemed to be the opposit.

AMEN

David19
November 6th, 2007, 08:47 PM
To me, Christianity was meant to be a Jewish mystery religion (much like the Eleusis mysteries, Bacchus mysteries, Isis, Mithras, etc mysteries), but then when it got to the Roman politicians and the ones who took it all literally, it got away from what Jesus intended for it.

If you look into Gnosticism, it seems Jesus was an example of what all humans could be, to resurrect or awaken to a new life, to return to the God above God, the source, to return to your divine origin, etc.

I also see Christianity as a religion that should inspire love (yet some fundamentalists seem to have forgotten that, and seem to be working on bringing about the apocalypse).

Not sure if that made any sense.