PDA

View Full Version : Meditation

Autumn-Forest
November 4th, 2007, 09:43 AM
What is everyone's thoughts on meditation? Do you think it's your imagination or do you think that meditation takes you to another plane of existence? (For example, the astral plane.)

Do you meditate to relax or wind down, or do you do it for your rituals?

Just wondering everyone's thoughts on this. :)

(If this is in the wrong spot, please redirect me.)

be well,
Autumn-Forest

Nocturna
November 4th, 2007, 12:55 PM
What is everyone's thoughts on meditation? Do you think it's your imagination or do you think that meditation takes you to another plane of existence? (For example, the astral plane.)

For me, at times it's pure imagination. Sometimes it will start out imagination and then turn into something that is more like a dream, except that I remain aware that I'm still physically seated in my apartment. I honestly don't know if it's possible that part of me is going to another plane. My inner skeptic says that it's just my brain doing something weird. I could say the same about real dreams.

I rarely do it just to relax anymore. I do it daily for energy and visualization/ concentration exercises. I do it during rituals too, sometimes to "enact" rituals that would be difficult or impossible to do alone in my living space, other times just to commune with my gods.

Interesting question :)

Autumn-Forest
November 4th, 2007, 02:57 PM
Thank you for that insightful answer, Nocturna. :)

Whats everyone elses thoughts?

Evinmeer
November 4th, 2007, 03:03 PM
I use kinetic meditation, which is just to say that I use movement to meditate. Running works for me; others use dance, tai chi, walking, or playing a rhythmic tune on their instrument. I have mantras and spells I chant in my head to the beat of my footsteps; some of my best spellwork has been done while I'm out on my evening run. Other times I simply let the rhythm clear out my head and let the silence of the desert night fill it up instead.

Zephyrstorm
November 4th, 2007, 03:23 PM
It depends on the kind of meditation.
Sometimes I do it to clear my head, othertimes I just do it to feel connected to the world, and sometimes it is a guided sort of thing. There are times when its pure imagination, and other times when my subconscious comes in and surprises me.

I love t'ai chi, walking, drumming.

Belgalad
November 4th, 2007, 03:35 PM
I was wondering the same thing myself. There are about a zillion different kinds of meditation out there, but all I ever seem to hear about are patchwork mishmashes of techniques and goals.

Is it supposed to be to clear your mind? Is it supposed to be to explore your inner psyche? What is meditation's relationship to magic? If I was going to do a meditation every day to help increase my spiritual awareness, what kind would I do? Why? How?

So many questions, so few answers, so little time. Drat.

Sage
November 4th, 2007, 03:59 PM
Very interesting question!

Do you think it's your imagination or do you think that meditation takes you to another plane of existence? (For example, the astral plane.)

I think my meditation sessions (I tend to use Shambhala meditation these days, but I also like Zazen) take me to the deeper inner me (sort of like I am tapping into that collective/ecological unconscious.) The state of calmness, awareness, and openess help me to commune and listen. Another plane of existence, I don't think. But then again, I am just getting started :spinnysmi

I mainly do it for rituals and communicating with my deities.

Sage

Autumn-Forest
November 27th, 2007, 06:49 AM
Thank you for your answers, I'm still curious as to what other's have to say as well, so bring on your answers. :)

be well,
Autumn

Libris
November 27th, 2007, 10:11 AM
I like to meditate and I think I get a lot out of the process... but I don't ever seem to have the time lately (-_-)O

I try to meditate before ritual and when I'm going through some sort of personal crisis- about once a month *sigh*

Meditation helps me focus and greatly increases my creativity, so I like to do it before writing. Of course, this doesn't mean I -get- to meditate before writing, I just prefer to :/

Lemon
November 27th, 2007, 04:11 PM
I think meditation is right for some people, but for some of us it isn't. I just can't meditate. I get extremely nervous and shaky whenever I do. I can't close my eyes and sit in one spot for longer than 3 min. I start to feel claustrophobic, which I think is just weird. But, I have started doing yoga which I think is a good alternative.

Autumn-Forest
November 27th, 2007, 05:21 PM
I see, but what is your thoughts on if its your imagination or if it takes you to another plane of existence? (For example, the astral plane.) And do you meditate to relax or wind down or just imagine, or do you do it for your rituals and its very serious?

I hope this makes my question more clear. :)

be well,
Autumn

EvieLee
November 27th, 2007, 08:31 PM
I tend to see a difference for me between meditation and visualisation. I tend to use either just meditation or a combination of both. For me, visualisation isn't about astral realms, it's about my inner realm. Even if I am controlling what I see without meaning to, it is important in some way to the situation and its context.

Autumn-Forest
November 27th, 2007, 09:39 PM
Thank you very much, EvieLee. :)
Thats the exact answer I was looking for. :)

Son of Deborah
November 29th, 2007, 09:48 PM
You know, it's funny. I began meditating before I ever found my path. Basically, my thoughts were constantly racing, and I didn't feel like I have mental control, discipline, or focus. I decided to start meditating to gain all three, and was very successful. I am now so experienced in meditation that I can achieve a meditative state almost instantaneously. This definitely was a big boon when I began practicing magic and ritual. I would say that, now, I meditate for ritual about 70% of the time, relaxation and grounding 30%.

I often astral project if I meditate too deeply, and will actually cast a protective circle if I am going to do a deep meditation. (If you plan on using meditation/heavy focus techniques in ritual, I would suggest casting a circle each time you meditate, simply to associate the two actions in your subconscious.)

be well,
Autumn-Forest

Against The Tide
February 19th, 2008, 05:40 PM
I've used meditations for magic and energy work, but mostly I like to meditate to cultivate inner awareness. I just gain introspective and experience into how thoughts are 'born', this helps me prevent mental toxins (negative emotions) and frees myself from self-limiting behaviours.

Yes, I could meditate and charge myself with energy. Or yes I could have an OBE or take a trip to the astral plane - but I'd rather be inside me developing the untapped resource that is myself.

aluokaloo
February 19th, 2008, 09:37 PM
well maybe at first, my friend always told me it all goes on your mind, before I could accuse her of accusing me of calling me crazy she went onto explain that our minds are connected to the ALL.
I'm not sure if that's true or not, my belief is that yes we are connected to everything through our minds and spirits and other various things, but I believe you actually visit these places. Because I've seen things I knew nothing about, and I've visited places I never even would have thought about. Plus I've learned to feel the difference between other planes, and my own visualizations. I don't trust my own visualizations because to me they tell me what I want to hear, or what my fears are rather then the truth. Plus other planes just seem to have a different feel in the air, and unlike my visualizations I can smell, and touch, and taste.

Aveline
February 20th, 2008, 01:42 AM
I think meditation is right for some people, but for some of us it isn't. I just can't meditate. I get extremely nervous and shaky whenever I do. I can't close my eyes and sit in one spot for longer than 3 min. I start to feel claustrophobic, which I think is just weird. But, I have started doing yoga which I think is a good alternative.

Sounds like kinetic meditation is more your style. Yoga can be very good for that as long as you feel comfortable in the poses and aren't focussed solely on not hurting yourself or not falling over. :-) I once took a yoga class and the first 3 weeks it was exercise... then halfway through the next week I suddenly realized that I wasn't thinking... at all! About anything! It was wonderful!

TygerTyger
February 20th, 2008, 04:09 AM
When I was younger and more physically able my uncle used to instruct me in Shotokan Karate-Jutsu. I found it therapeutic and it boosted my confidence, although I knew from the start that I would never become Bruce Lee. At the end of every session he made us meditate, not in a deep profound way, more to calm us down and allow our muscles to relax.

I enjoyed the meditation so much that I took to doing it after my more normal physiotherapy sessions at home. For me it has always been about exercising my will over my recalcitrant body. However, this changed one day. I had gone through my normal regime of physiotherapy and felt very good at the end. I meditated as usual but something different happened. The only way I can describe it is that it was like touching the sky and that comes nowhere close. For the rest of the day I was on a natural high, full of energy and good will; unfortunately I’ve never been able to recapture that feeling again. I don’t know if it was something spiritual or simply a chemical reaction in my brain but it was a wonderful experience.

Since then my attempts at meditation have been aimed mostly at coming to terms with the growing limitations of my disability and seeking pain relief. However, every once and awhile I find myself wandering around my own psyche on an apparent quest to make myself feel better about, well everything. I’ve also become aware that in meditation I can examine some of the concepts that I hold to be true in more detail and without distraction.

Toki Wartooth
April 7th, 2008, 01:19 PM

I think it could be either imagination or some kind of travel, but I think it could also be something real but ... not in a distant location, like getting inside yourself, so to speak, or just being yourself.

When I do meditate (which isn't as often as it should be), I mostly do it to relax. I'm one of those high-strung people that never seems able to relax even for a nanosecond, and I stress easily, so meditation is useful for calming down and trying to make the brain shut up for a few moments.

But, I do often meditate as part of prayer or any other communication or workings with deities. I tend to believe that people are more receptive to their deities (if they believe/work with any) when in a calmer state.

Kraven_Obscuria
April 7th, 2008, 02:19 PM

be well,
Autumn-Forest

I think it's a little bit of both, depending upon your beliefs and the type of meditation you are doing. There is a difference between focusing on a candle flame or a physical object, vs. vividly "imagining" a different place that you are trying to become immersed with.

Sometimes I meditate in order to become energetic and grounded, whereas other times I have first relaxed and visualized a scene as if I was there, and soon found my self participating in the scene, possibly in the Astral Plane.

So perhaps the result of your meditation is based upon your itent?

~Belladonna~
July 23rd, 2008, 02:20 PM
For me, meditation starts out as my imagination but as I get deeper in and more relaxed my subconscious comes into play and that's when the fun really begins :D I'll still be 100% in control but the meditation starts to go places that are totally unexpected and that's when I can say it's not my imagination anymore. Whether it's another plane of existence or not, I don't know? What I do know is it's really cool and very enlightening :uhhuhuh:

raistlin
July 30th, 2008, 10:01 PM

be well,
Autumn-Forest

1. I think it could be both.

2. I do it for lots of different reasons--to relax, to find out more about something, spells/rituals, etc.