PDA

View Full Version : Distinguishing Intuitive Feelings/Energy

labyrinth
November 17th, 2007, 03:14 PM
I have always been skeptical of anything mystical, metaphysical, etc. Whenever I have had intuitive feelings I have always dismissed them even when they seemed like they could be legiitimate. A few months ago I met someone who I almost instantly felt a strong connection to (in a romantic although completely emotional/spiritual(?) way. The weird thing is not only that I felt such a strong intuitive feeling that there was a strong connection between us, but also the fact that I never really saw her very well. We met outside at night with no artificial lights and I could not even see her face. The second time I met her and talked to her we were in the exact same lighting conditions. I've certainly been infatuated before but it has always been after I have seen and gotten to know someone a bit.

I feel like there really is some kind of deep connection that goes beyond a natural explanation, but yet I am still skeptical and find myself looking for reasons that are completely of a more worldly basis. (ie my own brain chemistry, psychological reasons, etc.) Do you think, given the circumstances, that this is likely to be some sort of real connection I'm picking up on, or something more mundance?

RainInanna
November 17th, 2007, 03:19 PM
Some people would suggest a past life connection there.

Personally I think sometimes we get too caught up in defining when it is intuition and when it is not. I don't think we always get clear signs, but one has to realize to, it's just possible that you can fulfill one of your learning experiences in this life through having a relationship with this person, even if you aren't soulmates. You can still take something worthwhile from the experience, it will still be meaningful, and it may still be necessary to your learning, even if it isn't "ordained by God/some spiritual connection".

I am generally against the idea of "soulmates" and that kind of thing, if that's what you mean, only because I was 100% convinced my fiance was my soulmate and I couldn't live without him because we were meant to be together. Didn't really work out when he admitted he'd been seeing someone else and didn't want to be with me anymore. Still I learned a lot there and we get along as acquaintances.

In other words, no one really can tell you the answer to that. But it is up to you whether you make a meaningful connection out of it, either way.

Lady_Door
November 18th, 2007, 11:59 PM
I think there's a difference between intuition and "soul mates" or "past life recognitions." Sometimes energies are just drawn to each other. I would listen to your intuitions. I have found my intuitions are rarely wrong. Especially when they are that strong.

violet rain
November 19th, 2007, 12:15 AM
I would definately listen to what your intuition is telling you. Like said above from others it might just be a past life connection but either way I think it would be a good idea to find out. The way you say how strong that connection was from a complete stranger thats interesting.

Maybe its really something and maybe its not but again if it was that strong its worth checking out.

Windygo
November 19th, 2007, 12:25 AM
I've had connections with a few people, just like you described. I interpreted these as I was supposed to be with (even if platonically). The main two relationships that started like this turned out horribly, for I learned they weren't great people, in fact, one could see it as a case of people being attracted to people who are bad for them. I still can't deny that they had a big impact on my life. Approach with caution.

labyrinth
November 19th, 2007, 02:52 AM
Thank you all for the feedback and advice about this. I agree that this is likely not my soulmate, and that either way I would be wise to be cautious in viewing it that way. It was just a very odd experience for me and the strong connection came unexpected. For one thing she is probably about 12-15 years older than me and 2) I couldn't really see her. Seeing her + getting to know her could very well lead to infatuating feelings and a false sense of a connection that doesn't really exist, but since the circumstances were so different I do feel like there must be a genuine connection for whatever reason.

Diotima
November 19th, 2007, 04:02 PM
What you describe sounds very much like what happened to me. In my case, it was a spiritual bond (not to be confused with soulmates or past lives or romantic affairs), and it also meant unlocking my psychic abilities.

First question: Have you talked with this person? I think just having one chat won't hurt too much, but it might give you more clues about what is really going on. At least, it will help you to determine whether your feelings are false (which may be a good thing), or not. Having the second chat might be very tempting after the first one, but I'd advice caution with that before you know more. You may not be able to solve this one by applying logic, but that doesn't mean logic is completely useless. :)

Otherwise, some advice I wish I had heard before starting to stumble around:

-You may experience strange sensations, inexplicable emotions that come "out of nowhere" and such around this person. Try to ignore them for the time being.

-Always be completely honest with this person and with yourself. Even and especially if topic of the day is your feelings, the nature of your relationship and other awkward things.

-Don't be alarmed if she seems to know things about you. If that happens, remember that you are probably also picking things right from her head as well. Relax, there's nothing you can do about it.

-Avoid direct eye contact, even from a distance. Telepathy, visions or other spontaneously occurring forms of psychic energy transfer can make your head spin for a long time.

Also check my thread Metaphysical Experiments in Empathic Bunker- there is a post about spiritual bonds.

Hope this helps!

HedwigHarfang
November 28th, 2007, 05:35 PM
I have always been skeptical of anything mystical, metaphysical, etc. Whenever I have had intuitive feelings I have always dismissed them even when they seemed like they could be legiitimate. A few months ago I met someone who I almost instantly felt a strong connection to (in a romantic although completely emotional/spiritual(?) way. The weird thing is not only that I felt such a strong intuitive feeling that there was a strong connection between us, but also the fact that I never really saw her very well. We met outside at night with no artificial lights and I could not even see her face. The second time I met her and talked to her we were in the exact same lighting conditions. I've certainly been infatuated before but it has always been after I have seen and gotten to know someone a bit.

I feel like there really is some kind of deep connection that goes beyond a natural explanation, but yet I am still skeptical and find myself looking for reasons that are completely of a more worldly basis. (ie my own brain chemistry, psychological reasons, etc.) Do you think, given the circumstances, that this is likely to be some sort of real connection I'm picking up on, or something more mundance?

I think you may have met your soulmate here, regardless of what others say. I met Louise at a party in 1999 and she was shocked in the least to have me come over directly when I had given my usual speech and start talking to her excitedly as if I'd known her for a long time. I could tell by her eyes she was flattered and had come to this party to meet me specifically but then again she didn't understand that I knew she was my soul-mate and all I suspect she thought was "he's not like he's made out to be in the newspapers" and "cool, Michael Howard spoke to me FIRST in the ENTIRE ROOM" and then it was only later that she began to realise that if you dream about someone - as she had been about me for several years - then that person is also dreaming about you and knows you and, in my case, loves you.

It may just be you knew them in a former life and that you both share the same guide; Louise shared her crow totem with her ex-boyfriend Dave but this does not necessarily make you soul-mates: she and Dave did not get on physically enough in love to be perfect partners and it also transpired they'd been brother and sister in a former life (he was her sister; she was his brother!) and thus there was no actual chemistry between them at all, just the acknowledgement that they were mutually guided by Charlie and had known each other previously in their spiritual development. I also met Dave alone a few years ago - politics brings people together - and to tell you the truth he was awkward and embarrassed to realise that he was going out with someone "earmarked" for me (he is a firm Labour supporter and would never really admit that Louise might actually differ in opinion from him).

What I would say to your scepticism is - keep an open mind. Understand that there are a lot of things - normal things - that cannot be rationally explained however much science tries (and in trying it tends to dismiss what it cannot explain as psychosis and do a lot of damage to vulnerable people in the process). Psychology is inherently intuitive as a science itself; it relies on observation of behaviour and understanding the root causes of that behaviour given external and internal circumstances. Nothing to do with the mind can wholly be explained on a purely physical basis. Understanding this will help illuminate how other people feel, particularly when they fall in love so deeply as you have done, and awakening to the extra powers of the mind is going to be important because for the moment there are things that cannot be explained without recourse to spirit and this needs to be freed up to be discussed in a normal way, not hidden at the back of a bookshop in some dusty old tome.

Xentor
November 28th, 2007, 06:34 PM
And yes, your feelings just might be very mundane, very physical.