PDA

View Full Version : Teleporting Laser Beams

Mithrea
June 24th, 2002, 12:03 PM
Okay, my Mom told me last week that she saw on CNN that some Australian scientists had sucessfully teleported a laser beam. She said they were next going to try an atom or molecule (can't remember which). Did anyone else here this? I can't seem to find info about it (probably becuase I'm searching for the wrong words).

Illuminatus
June 25th, 2002, 12:19 PM
Teleporting laser beams is easy :)

you just buy a little laser keychain at spencer's gifts, point it where you want it to go, and turn it on... it moves very very fast!!! ...almost as fast as the speed of light in a vacuum!

Mithrea
June 25th, 2002, 03:22 PM
. . . am perhaps seeing why this Forum is so empty all the time . . .

Lavender
June 26th, 2002, 12:58 PM
:lol:

I heard that on the radio a few days ago. It was something about they are able to teleport data encrypted in light but nothing physical. I remember them saying that teleportation as they do it Star Trek is still a long ways off.

Illuminatus
June 26th, 2002, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by Wildchild
:lol:

I heard that on the radio a few days ago. It was something about they are able to teleport data encrypted in light but nothing physical. I remember them saying that teleportation as they do it Star Trek is still a long ways off.

Well, we already have that too. It's called Fiber. Optical fiber is a tiny little wire made out of glass - the core is not much wider than a hair, and there's a glass casing around the core which is slightly denser, surrounded by thick layers of insulation.

What happens is that you get an optical switch which can translate electrical data packets to optical signals, and this switch shines a light into the glass core. By varying the magnitude and frequency of this beam of light, data can be transported very quickly over a long distance.

Additionally, there is another sort of frequency you can modulate: the light beam's wavelength. You could have one optical switch shine two different colors of light into the same fiber, effectively sending twice as much data through the same line. They're broken up at the other end by a mirror, which is calibrated to refract one of the frequencies and reflect the other, splitting the signal back into the two original components. By using this technique, you can get a posatively obscene amount of bandwidth through one tiny little fibre.

Unfortunately, because the light loses some of its signal as it goes long distances, you need to instal "repeaters" every mile or so... they amplify and re-broadcast the signal, so every time it weakens a bit, it hits a repeater and is amplified. Otherwise, you couldn't send a signal more than a few miles.

Fiber optic equipment is pretty expensive too, and it lacks the existing infrastructure that we already have in the telephone system. But, for some applications, it is a powerful and ellegant solution.

Of course, there are many other ways to use light beams to communicate. Two of them are called "Radio" and "TV".

- Ill

Xander67
June 27th, 2002, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by Mithrea
I can't seem to find info about it (probably becuase I'm searching for the wrong words).

were you useing Google??

I heard about this last week too...

I went to yahoo news and typed in keywords teleporting laser beam and found the article and a photo of the scientists.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20020617/od_uk_nm/oukoe_science_australia_teleporting_1

Mithrea
June 27th, 2002, 01:19 PM
AAAahhhhhh That's it! Thank :D

Actually I saw on the news this morning that they are already being "questioned" because they won't supply the information so it can be duplicated and tested so that it can be "verified."

Thanks again :)

Xander67
June 27th, 2002, 01:56 PM
:eek:

thats not very nice of them :mad:

:) thank you for shareing that :)

Sequoia
June 28th, 2002, 03:28 AM
I heard about this several years ago. . . . what they were doing then, was that they could "teleport" somehow a photon. . .

the problem they ran into was that it wasn't the origional photon!! The origional would be destroyed, and an exact copy take it's place across the room.

Now. . . I don't know about you. . . . but I'm not gonna hop in there to test out the theory of "I wonder if a soul would be able to tell the difference between the two bodies. . . "

Mithrea
June 28th, 2002, 01:03 PM
Heh :p

Xander67
June 29th, 2002, 11:28 AM
:) I cant resist this one here, the guy on the right LOL

he looks like the "Dude youre getting a Dell" Guy LOL :T

Epyc
July 10th, 2002, 12:28 PM
Got me thinking on a more philosophical vein, so I responded in the philosophy forum on this post....

Epyc