PDA

View Full Version : New poll shows Clinton trails top 2008 Republicans

Laisrean
November 26th, 2007, 03:40 PM
Link (http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071126/ts_nm/usa_politics_poll_dc_2)

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Democratic front-runner Hillary Clinton trails five top Republican presidential contenders in general election match-ups, a drop in support from this summer, according to a poll released on Monday.

Clinton's top Democratic rivals, Barack Obama and John Edwards, still lead Republicans in hypothetical match-ups ahead of the November 4, 2008, presidential election, the survey by Zogby Interactive showed.

All I can say is the Democrats better not nominate her as their candidate. She may be popular among the far left, but she is not that popular among the population as a whole.

Also, her Pro-War and Pro-Policestate voting records are a further detriment to her chances.

wolfjan1
November 26th, 2007, 03:43 PM
Yes, she has made some BIG mistakes in the eyes of the people that she had better change or lose. She is highly "let them eat cake" mentality. It's time we look for someone stronger.

HedwigHarfang
November 26th, 2007, 03:50 PM
I don't understand the article - is there a graph or breakdown of the results into actual numbers somewhere?

I think the Democrats would be unwise to nominate anyone other than Clinton, as Obama is too young yet to be a serious contender for the White House (he reminds me of myself before I got into the Cabinet - too earnest and awkward when he is speaking in public though he looks good in still photographs) and would trail heavyweights like Giuliani and McCain (who seems to have been trying for years to get nominated). I think Hillary knows her core support well and would probably ameliorate policy direction and eventually distance herself from pro-war and pro-PATRIOT statements just like I did during 2004 and 2005 on the issue of Iraq and ID cards (which I proposed myself in 1994 before I realised that they wouldn't work at all...coming from a European background I reckoned people wouldn't mind, as they are used in most EU member states, but I hadn't anticipated a backlash and converted most of the "residue" of the policy into photographic driving licenses instead).

Man cannot live on spin alone. Hillary is by far still the leading contender for the Democrat nomination, and polls only provide a snapshot of current opinion - the primaries will give us the real feedback over the winter.

Wicce
November 26th, 2007, 03:56 PM
She's not popular among the far left at all; honestly I don't know WHERE her support springs from, because all the lefties I know are gaga over Kucinich or Edwards or Obama or Gravel. The far left thinks she's as bad as the Right, whereas the Right continues to paint her as the ravening, howling reincarnation of Vlad the Impaler, come back to eat babies.

If Obama can overtake her in Iowa (and he's not trailing badly there, unlike elsewhere) he can really put a nail in her candidacy's coffin. She is continually trying to pound the point home that she is winning and she is inevitable, and losing the caucus would negate that image. We might have a reverse of 2004, where the dry, uncharismatic candidate unseated the charming, popular candidate view Iowa and NH.

Phoenix Blue
November 26th, 2007, 04:31 PM
honestly I don't know WHERE her support springs from ...
The Machine.

Valnorran
November 26th, 2007, 04:47 PM
... Pro-War...
For now, anyway.

HedwigHarfang
November 26th, 2007, 05:14 PM
She's not popular among the far left at all; honestly I don't know WHERE her support springs from, because all the lefties I know are gaga over Kucinich or Edwards or Obama or Gravel. The far left thinks she's as bad as the Right

The far left are a tiny tiny fraction of the electorate. Right-wingers won't be voting for her. If you can show me she is losing ground in Middle America, then I would be more inclined to agree.

If Obama can overtake her in Iowa (and he's not trailing badly there, unlike elsewhere) he can really put a nail in her candidacy's coffin.

Doubt it. He is very weak when it comes to public speaking. Even Bush is better. In another sixteen years, probably he will do better, but it is better to let age go before beauty.

She is continually trying to pound the point home that she is winning and she is inevitable, and losing the caucus would negate that image. We might have a reverse of 2004, where the dry, uncharismatic candidate unseated the charming, popular candidate view Iowa and NH.

Dry and uncharismatic usually carry more weight with voters than the charming, popular candidates like Howard Dean. Howard's problem was that he went too aggressive on the stump; Obama has not an ounce of what makes a successful President - carrying everyone with him and standing in the middle, moderate ground and assuring people that he will be able to lead the country properly - YET. For the Democrats to select him over Hillary would be electoral suicide not just now but in 2012 and 2016-2020, because they have no-one BUT Hillary to lead them back to power with the experience and weight a successful President needs. Obama will do well in her Cabinet or with a few more terms under his belt as Senator rather than going for gold now and then going down to Giuliani and leaving the Dems with no-one in 2012 or 2016 with the government clout to win. Like the current UK Tories, there is no-one else with sound experience or policy understanding to lead the Democrats back into a position where they can "grow" the next generation needed. Clinton is the best hope for the long-term future of the party.

Hillary is winning and is "inevitable" because the Republicans wasted eight years on war and she is speaking up for the core voters - the unionised, the people who keep the economy ticking over, the people who mistrust bright, shiny buttons like Obama who can't talk themselves out of a paper bag.

sarabethv
November 26th, 2007, 06:40 PM
Frankly, the "attitude" people complain about in Hillary, wouldn't be an issue if she were a man.
Not that I am for Hillary
Obama, well he is definately awkward and while it may be an effort to keep from appearing the politician, he seems to be hiding something (what politician isn't) but I doubt he is capable of running the country either.
Not that I am for Obama
McCain, I used to have a lot of respect for the man, but he has become too desperate to get into the white house and would be very dangerous if we let him and those that helped him get in the whitehouse
No not for him either
Guilliani (did I even spell that right?) are we even seriously considering him?

I am so sick of elections where my choices are bad, worse, and OMG . Even worse, I am sick of the popular vote going one way and some slick political manuevers make sure it goes the other way.
Who ever heard of a "chad" before? It wasn't even in the dictionary.

SSanf
November 26th, 2007, 10:32 PM
Hillary will make a far better showing once the weight of the entire Democratic party gets into line behind her, which will happen once she gets the nomination.

Vampiel
November 27th, 2007, 03:20 AM
Hillary will make a far better showing once the weight of the entire Democratic party gets into line behind her, which will happen once she gets the nomination.

I've always said if you win the middle you win the election, and so far, for the past 10 years or so ive always been right. Clinton will not win the middle over Giuliani. She's the same breed as Kerry. Although if it's another Republican nominated she has a good chance.

Just imo