PDA

View Full Version : CNN - the Clinton News Network

Valnorran
November 29th, 2007, 09:49 AM
Are they unethical or just incompetent?

http://www.townhall.com/blog/g/d91f3cba-6a87-4686-92ce-70a16edc311b

sarabethv
November 29th, 2007, 11:37 AM
Neither. Where do you think the questions come from in this sort of debate to begin with? Certainly not from the public. They come from the campaign groups themselves in order to spotlight certain issues.

Phoenix Blue
November 29th, 2007, 12:28 PM
Is this a CNN problem or an ethics breach by the Democratic campaigns?

My theory is that it's business as usual, but it's becoming news now because bloggers have picked up on the trend.

Philosophia
November 29th, 2007, 06:30 PM
Are they unethical or just incompetent?

http://www.townhall.com/blog/g/d91f3cba-6a87-4686-92ce-70a16edc311b

Neither. They are just like any other media outlet.

Wicce
November 29th, 2007, 06:38 PM
UPDATE: Uh Oh! Looks like there are more plants. John Edwards and Barack Obama supporters plus a union activist.

It's not just Hillary. And I don't see how this is "planting", unlike what she did before. For it to be completely free and clear of all accusations of political tampering, CNN would have to check, double-check and triple-check that each YouTube submitter they choose is COMPLETELY politically independent - even being Republican with a favorite candidate wouldn't work, because then someone could claim Tancredo or Giuliani or someone else planted the question.

I don't see why a democrat can't ask republicans questions. Aren't they supposed to be trying to win over democrats as well? There's something wrong with the system, but "other party interested in the republican debates" is not it. If anything we need more of it.

Phoenix Blue
November 29th, 2007, 08:08 PM
Neither. They are just like any other media outlet.
So which is it? :)

Philosophia
November 29th, 2007, 08:15 PM
So which is it? :)

Any of them. Take your pick.

banondraig
November 30th, 2007, 12:57 AM
As long as that guy was who he said he was, I have no problem. It's a perfectly legitimate question, and he will probably still want to vote for somebody if Hillary doesn't win the Democratic primary. That person might even be a Republican.

Valnorran
November 30th, 2007, 09:46 AM
Have any Republican plants been found at Democrat debates?

Kes
November 30th, 2007, 09:55 AM
CNN also took a question from Grover Norquist (http://www.miamiherald.com/519/story/323351.html), and everybody knows he isn't some common Joe citizen without candidate access. I mean...c'mon, he's the head of a political organization with a very obvious and well-known agenda, and his "question" was right in line with the political purpose of that group.

But I'm supposed to believe that CNN knowingly planted a Hillary supporter who would be super mean and ask the poor, victimized Republican candidates a (non-heckling, legitimate) question about Don't Ask Don't Tell?

Give me a break. Are we actually getting our panties in a knot with the idea that the candidates might be given entirely legitimate questions that are difficult? That maybe there are questions out there other than whether the candidates prefer diamonds or pearls, or easy and obvious ones like whether they support "amnesty"?

Are you trying to say that a "debate" should only include questions from people who support the candidates' positions?

Heaven forfend! The idea that our debates might contain actual, y'know, debate just makes me swoon. What is the world coming to?!

Valnorran
November 30th, 2007, 12:53 PM
But I'm supposed to believe that CNN knowingly planted a Hillary supporter who would be super mean and ask the poor, victimized Republican candidates a (non-heckling, legitimate) question about Don't Ask Don't Tell?
I don't know if CNN planted them, if they knew the Dems planted them and looked the other way, or if they had no clue what was happening.

Give me a break. Are we actually getting our panties in a knot with the idea that the candidates might be given entirely legitimate questions that are difficult?
Just a little curious why someone who already supports the Dems would bother with asking Republican candidates anything. What's the point?

That maybe there are questions out there other than whether the candidates prefer diamonds or pearls, or easy and obvious ones like whether they support "amnesty"?
It seems to be perfectly acceptable to do so for Hillary.

Are you trying to say that a "debate" should only include questions from people who support the candidates' positions?
Nope. There are plenty of Republicans who have different positions from the different Republican candidate's. The same is true for undecided voters. But why would people who've already decided they support the Democrats bother with this? What's the point?

Phoenix Blue
November 30th, 2007, 01:11 PM
But why would people who've already decided they support the Democrats bother with this? What's the point?
Ask a Reagan Republican.

Valnorran
November 30th, 2007, 01:22 PM
Ask a Reagan Republican.
I don't follow.

banondraig
November 30th, 2007, 01:36 PM

The Democrats have apparently just canceled a debate, so it will be difficult to find out whether there were any scheduled.

I'm not too worried about it. The debate was televised, so it was intended to be for the public at large. A plant in a party members only, closed doors, sort of affair would be something entirely different.

Also, anyone who can't handle one difficult question has no business leading anything, let alone a superpower nation.

Djiril
November 30th, 2007, 01:37 PM

Well, personally I see no reason why it shouldn't be allowed either way. I'm glad the question was asked. If a person working on a Republican candidate's campaign asked as question to the Democratic candidates, I'm sure it would be a tough one which would help Democratic voters decide who to vote for.

Vampiel
December 1st, 2007, 11:44 AM
If the tables were turned I have a feeling it wouldn't be well I don't see a problem.

Valnorran
December 3rd, 2007, 11:33 AM
If the tables were turned I have a feeling it wouldn't be well I don't see a problem.
Then you haven't been paying attention to me. I've had plenty of criticism for the Republicans. There's a reason why I'm not one.